English Football Thread 2013/14

Who will win the Premiership?

• Total voters

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
Zaha is far from the finished article, Nani looks more likely to leave the club this summer than not, Young is average, and finally Giggs isn't getting any younger..

You forgot Valencia btw :p

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Valencia and Young are awful and overrated. Both were beyond useless last season, and even the season before were barely special.

Zaha was immensely overrated for Crystal Palace of all teams last season, I will be surprised if he makes an impact at all this season and even if he does it'll be in the second half surely. He is not good enough yet, we were the other club linked to him and I didn't want us to get him, especially at ?15 m.

Giggs isn't a winger any more.

Nani is your best winger IMO but still hugely inconsistent and selfish, he is barely good enough for Man Utd tbh. In terms of players who can play on the wings though, Kagawa could do a job there if he is given more time to settle and get into the team. He is no winger but he is better than the rest of the hacks.

With Di Maria supposedly on the move, he'd be a brilliant signing. He'd take Man Utd over Spurs any day which looks another possible destination if Spurs sell Bale.

I think in Man Utd's system a CM isn't vitally important, it would help, but as we saw they can still win the title with Carrick and a few others like Cleverley and the embarrassingly bad Anderson.

The GK spot is finally looking solid, as is van Persie as a striker. Carrick was good as well and Rafael has really improved. Other than that, there is plenty of room for improvement elsewhere. I think in terms of depth the squad is really good which helped in the last two seasons but the starting options aren't quite good enough which stops United from winning the CL more than the PL.

Man City aren't sure fire for the PL, but Chelsea still haven't improved a whole lot from last season and Man Utd still have the seem deficiencies. So I think with a better manager and some decent new signings they will look good. Their absolutely brilliant squad really helps.

I am confident even if Chelsea don't sign a striker, Lukaku will do the job. Torres and Ba are decent back-ups as well, I hope Lukaku actually starts most of the time.

I think if we sign Suarez we will be in there, even if we don't (which is more likely) we will get to around 2nd or 3rd. Since we won our last trophy, we've challenged for the title every season except for seasons where we've lost big players. This season will be no different.

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Hi all, Bolton Wanderers fan here. Looking forward to the new season which starts off with my lot against Burnley on Saturday lunch time.

Also looking forward to see how Man Utd get on with Moyes, I think it could be very interesting and tight this year in the premier league but I have voted for Man City.

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
How good is Freedman? He brought your club so close to the play-offs last time, after the poor start, that's all I know about his Bolton time.

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I think he's a quality young manager, much better than our previous Coyle. I mean just look at what he did at palace with next to no budget.

Last season he did well as you said considering the poor start and we came so close to the play offs. We've not had a good pre season results wise but I think as soon as it all kicks off against Burnley we will show our class.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I'm loving the fact that Norwich have done so much travelling this pre-season. Not long ago we would have gone to Scotland or, if we were lucky, Germany. This year we had a fitness camp in Austria, followed by a tour of the USA, we've played Brighton this week and tomorrow we're playing Braga in Portugal.

ste_mc_efc

Chairman of Selectors
Watching Everton v Count Antrim U-15s milk cup final on the bbc website now.

Both sides seem to be keeping the ball on the ground, very little long ball stuff. Maybe football in the uk is heading in the right direction.

Interesting would have been and Everton liverpool final, if the latter didn't lose their semi.

Last edited:

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I'm starting to be very happy about signing Gary Hooper. He came here saying he wants to get into the England squad, and he's got 2 goals in the first half an hour of our friendly at Braga. Looking good.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
Probably voted a little too early myself - Chelsea better sign a DM and a lethal #9, else I'm going with Man City as well. City need a quality LB themselves too, and United as we all know, need a CM and a winger. Really comes down to the side who've filled all their voids by the end of this transfer window.

not really, to be honest you can get away with being rubbish in about 5-6 positions as long as you're organised defensively and have 2 or 3 players having a stormer.

big name re-inforcements would help, but only in that they'd give the team another chance at having that player who plays out his skin all year. if mata and hazard can build on last season demba ba is more than enough and no way does city's season hinge on a LB when they've brought in jovetic, navas and someone else who I've forgotten.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman

That's a good read; did Busby really get the manager's job that way?

Either way, time will tell about Moyes. I guess we have to give him at least two seasons, but I'm not sure if he will get that sort of time. As far as I remember, we've never finished outside of the top three in the Premiership era; if we finish outside of the top three under Moyes, the signs are clear.

Let's see. Either way it should be a very interesting season.

Users who are viewing this thread