Don Bradman Cricket 17 General Discussion

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
@BigAntStudios as a human player i have to select the length before commencing the run-up. it seems in DBC17 I can adjust the length in run-up but i still need to have selected it before the delivery stride starts.

is this true of the AI? If so, can the delivery length indicator not be moved earlier?

SibiNaayagam

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
@BigAntStudios as a human player i have to select the length before commencing the run-up. it seems in DBC17 I can adjust the length in run-up but i still need to have selected it before the delivery stride starts.

is this true of the AI? If so, can the delivery length indicator not be moved earlier?

Actually, I like blocker's idea of giving a small time period in-between comprehending the length and line indicators with regards to batsman's rating and difficulty. Plus a good batsman will also be able to read the swinging side by the grip/shine side during run-up too. So adding to blocker's idea, perhaps a first indicator showing grip (inswing, outswing, cross for pace) before jump...adds to length before release and then all we have to do is watch the ball and play the shot. The pace of the ball could be jacked up too if required.

For spinners, obviously good batsmen read it from the hand but I'm not sure if the animation would vary for each releases. But ofcourse we will have more time to comprehend with the markers for now. Although hoping for reading variations including slower balls and cutters from the animation.

P.S. I hope the indicators are switched off automatically for tailenders on higher difficulties.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4

I would make the case for both line & length to be selected earlier by AI. It's AI and both line & length for the AI delivery could be pre-determined and calculated beforehand. That will allow user vs AI gameplay modes (which are the most commonly used modes) get the information beforehand and have an optimal batting experience. Head-to-Head multiplayer modes can remain as they are since you can't pre-determine where user is going to bowl. The simple rationale for this approach is that it wouldn't matter whether AI bowling is calculated at the very end of the bowling run-up or it's pre-determined when the bowler is running in to bowl. For the user it will still be the same experience while facing the AI bowler but the advantage of having more time to read line & length will by far enhance the current batting experience.

Tubbs Farquar

School Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
Just another idea/suggestion for the 'Leave' shot control. Since right index finger is typically always already resting on the Defensive Shot trigger (RT) on the controller when batting, maybe map the 'Leave' to a Double-tap of RT. This for me is way more accessible than bringing the right thumb off the R-stick to hit the A button. And I can still select my foot placement as part of the shot selection process using L-stick as normal, which I think we all agree is part of the thought process when doing a Leave when batting for real.

Ok, yes it means being quick to press the RT twice consecutively, immediately following foot selection on L-stick. But all up I think this makes it easier to pull off the Leave in the kinda way we know we want to be able to do it. What do others think?

References were to an xbox controller for those PS players. :thumbs

bestfriendh

Club Captain
[QUOTE="

P.S. I hope the indicators are switched off automatically for tailenders on higher difficulties.[/QUOTE]
To add to that, tailender should not have any indicators when they start. But if they stick around and build confidence, the indicator s should slowly start showing up.

Fissionmailed

Associate Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
Just another idea/suggestion for the 'Leave' shot control. Since right index finger is typically always already resting on the Defensive Shot trigger (RT)

Just got an idea out of this regarding leaving, since we never need to really play a defensive shot behind the wicket, why not make leaves Right trigger + right stick downwards? Keep the blocks to flick of the right stick upwards.

Sorry I wont speak anymore on this matter! :p

Pat

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I would make the case for both line & length to be selected earlier by AI. It's AI and both line & length for the AI delivery could be pre-determined and calculated beforehand. That will allow user vs AI gameplay modes (which are the most commonly used modes) get the information beforehand and have an optimal batting experience. Head-to-Head multiplayer modes can remain as they are since you can't pre-determine where user is going to bowl. The simple rationale for this approach is that it wouldn't matter whether AI bowling is calculated at the very end of the bowling run-up or it's pre-determined when the bowler is running in to bowl. For the user it will still be the same experience while facing the AI bowler but the advantage of having more time to read line & length will by far enhance the current batting experience.

I agree. I am one of those who do not have a great reaction time and have to pre-meditate most of the shots when batting. What you and others are suggesting is probably the best option from our point of view. If it is too big a change for BigAnt, another not-as-good-but-decent-enough option can be to perhaps go for a "Speed Slider" setting which I think Ross approved of during DBC14 feedback time. This would basically make the bowler speeds slower, so it's not impossible to play the Fast bowlers on merit. I know that on lower difficultly levels, the speed is already slower, but I want to be able to play on Legend while still having speeds reasonable enough to not make me pre-meditate my shots.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England

though it is at least understandable if line cannot be known earlier, due to trajectory calculated later - exactly as with the human player. but it is not understandable from a technology / design point of view why the AI would not be subject to a similar constraint as the human player, namely that selection of length starts the run-up process.

D

Deleted member 9102

though it is at least understandable if line cannot be known earlier, due to trajectory calculated later - exactly as with the human player. but it is not understandable from a technology / design point of view why the AI would not be subject to a similar constraint as the human player, namely that selection of length starts the run-up process.
Pressing one of the buttons starts the run up, but during the approach you can still change your mind by pressing one of the others so it's not totally locked in at that point. Still, it seems reasonable to not let the AI be able to make this change later on and have it choose on the run up.

Noticed this typo on the loading screen :p;

DN4wVDi.jpg

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Pressing one of the buttons starts the run up, but during the approach you can still change your mind by pressing one of the others so it's not totally locked in at that point. Still, it seems reasonable to not let the AI be able to make this change later on and have it choose on the run up.

Noticed this typo on the loading screen :p;

DN4wVDi.jpg

It is still locked in before the delivery stride starts which is early enough as mentioned in my initial quote

D

Deleted member 9102

Here's a video of a few cutters, I think the movement is a bit extreme, especially considering the speed of the deliveries according to the HUD (90mph).

Edit - Meant to post this in the nets beta thread, oh well :p.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread