England in Sri Lanka

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
I don't give a tossing monkey's flying fig about the future. All that matters is this series right here, right now in Sri Lanka.

Strange attitude to have. I'd rather lose narrowly and give young players experience who can take out the Aussies than win playing a team who are all nearing retirement and have rookies in the next Ashes. Great players don't just arrive and play great straight away; they need time and tests under their belt to perform at the highest level.
Besides, being England, it's more likely that we'd play old guys and still lose. I understand the argument for experience replacing experience in the middle order but for me it works better for bowlers than batsmen - I had no problem with playing Bicknell a few summers back - but picking Ramps now would be both a backwards step and a bad idea.

Sureshot

Executive member
Online Cricket Games Owned
I don't think the Ramprakash selection is the way forward for England, my point was that I don't think he'd fail in an England shirt, now.

dikon

Club Cricketer
I don't think the Ramprakash selection is the way forward for England, my point was that I don't think he'd fail in an England shirt, now.

Everyone has different views.In county cricket most teams he will play against will have at least one bowler who will bowl a bad over or two.In international cricket hardly any of the top teams have a bowler that will offer freebies plus the quality of the bowlers are another step up from county cricket.

Perm

School Cricketer
In international cricket hardly any of the top teams have a bowler that will offer freebies plus the quality of the bowlers are another step up from county cricket.

Disagree with the first part of that. In the past little while we've seen Ian O'Brien, Sajid Mahmood, Liam Plunkett and Rana Naved-Hasan playing Test cricket. You can't tell me those bowlers don't offer freebies to the batsmen.

Sureshot

Executive member
Everyone has different views.In county cricket most teams he will play against will have at least one bowler who will bowl a bad over or two.In international cricket hardly any of the top teams have a bowler that will offer freebies plus the quality of the bowlers are another step up from county cricket.

Actually, most attacks will have one bowler who has an off day. That doesn't matter though, no one can deny that Ramprakash is a far better player now than he was when he played for England.

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
I'm not too fussed about Ramps, if he plays then great if he doesn't then oh well. Broad won't be playing now, I would have loved him too and imo he would have offered something different like we need with Sidebottom and Hoggard bowling but if he isn't playing then I'd like to see Harmison. I like Jimmy but he's not done it at test level but then it depends on what Harmison turns up. Will be interesting to see who plays as well as Shah or Bopara. I'd go for Shah, Bopara hasn't even done it at ODI level yet!

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
I'm not saying he hasn't impressed but he hasn't done enough to warrant a test place imo, he's had a few good chases especially with Broad but only 1 50 isn't good enough to compare with Shah

International Coach
well england have a pretty good chance with or without ramprakash,btw is harmison fit for the 1st test??

usy

Chairman of Selectors
I hope Sri Lanka win the test series and England the ODI, because I like watching English ODI side, and Sri Lanka are better test team IMO.

ANyways, Good luck to Murli, I heard he is about to break some records stuff.

International Coach
I hope Sri Lanka win the test series and England the ODI, because I like watching English ODI side, and Sri Lanka are better test team IMO.

ANyways, Good luck to Murli, I heard he is about to break some records stuff.

i think sri lanka have a better odi team than a test team.

dikon

Club Cricketer
well england have a pretty good chance with or without ramprakash,btw is harmison fit for the 1st test??

Harmison may be fit but even if he is the selectors will go with Anderson.Too much of a risk to play Harmison if he ends up getting another spasm.

usy

Chairman of Selectors
He's about to become the leading Test wicket taker of all time...

That would be kool, nice to see some Sri Lankan players make some big records. Did Warne comment on it yet? :rolleyes: I wonder what he'd say..

Users who are viewing this thread