Australia in Sri Lanka

Rangeela

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Adam Gilchrist has been fined 50% of his match fee for a level-one breach of the ICC's Code of Conduct. But his team-mate Andrew Symonds has been cleared of dissent, following an incident during the second one-day international against Sri Lanka at Dambulla on Sunday.

Mike Procter, the ICC match referee, viewed videotapes on Monday morning of an incident in which Symonds was first adjudged to have been out lbw but later recalled after discussions between Peter Manuel, the umpire, and Marvan Atapattu, Sri Lanka's one-day captain.

The disciplinary inquiry in Colombo reviewed the evidence, in which Gilchrist threw down his gloves, apparently in disgust, while Symonds was alleged to have shown his bat to the umpire before walking off.

Ultimately, it was decided that Gilchrist's actions were worthy of censure, but Symonds escaped any fine. "Adam Gilchrist has been found guilty of a level-one Code of Conduct offence for showing dissent at an umpire's decision by action or verbal abuse," read a statement, which added: "Andrew Symonds was found not guilty as there is a very fine line between disappointment and dissent."

After the match, Procter had praised the actions of Manuel, describing his decision as "courageous", and the sportsmanship of Atapattu, who had accepted that a mistake had been made and accepted Manuel's decision to recall Symonds. "You have to take your hat off to Marvan [Atapattu]," said Procter, although he added that Gilchrist's actions had not influenced Manuel's change of mind.

"I spoke to Peter [Manuel] minutes after he came off the field," said Procter, "and there is absolutely no question that either batsmen influenced his decision to call Symonds back."

The third one-dayer will be played under lights on Wednesday.

? Wisden Cricinfo Ltd

squiz

International Coach
I reckon that's crap, i dunno how they can fine gilly when he was saying that Symonds hit the ball, then the umpire called Symonds back coz he made a mistake.

madmattg

International Cricketer
Anyone ever seen that happen before.

Called back because of a wrong decision. Not me.....

What was going on. The press havent really said anything. They usually bring up old incidents etc.

Maybe because they still lost by 1. Could you imagine the uproar in Sri Lanka if they had won by 1.

Would have been a very different story i bet.

djkay

School Cricketer
Imagine if Australia still won after calling Symonds back into bat. No one would have cared! :D

Last edited:

Rangeela

International Coach
3rd ODI

Toss: Sri Lanka

Sri Lanka 226/8 (50 ov) (Jayawardene 80) (Gillespie 3/36)
Australia 227/5 (48.3 ov) (Ponting 63, Martyn 62) (Vaas 3/34)

Result: Australia won by 5 wickets

Man of the Match: JN Gillespie

Series: Australia leads the 5-ODI series 2-1

djkay

School Cricketer
Doh! Good game by the aussies. I thought the bowlwers did really well in the first 15 overs.

Rangeela

International Coach
4th ODI

Toss: Australia

Australia 233 (47.4ov) (Ponting 67, Symonds 53) (Muralitharan 3/44, Chandana 3/37)
Sri Lanka 193 (43.4ov) (Sangakkara 101) (Kasprowicz 5/45)

Result: Australia won by 40 runs

Man of the Match: MS Kasprowicz

Series: Australia leads the 5-ODI series 3-1

beatboy

School Cricketer
another top win by aussie, showing they can defend a small total, good batting again by Symonds(in the test series?) and of course ponting 4 half centries in a row(maybe he would of liked to convert one to a 100) and great bowling by Kaspa

Rangeela

International Coach
5th ODI

Toss: Australia

Australia 198/7 (50 ov) (Zoysa 3/34)
Sri Lanka 202/7 (47.5 ov) (Zoysa 47*)

Result: Sri Lanka won by 3 wickets

Man of the Match: DNT Zoysa

Man of the Series: A Symonds

Series: Australia wins the 5-ODI series 3-2

pal