England in Sri Lanka

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
What a pathetic post. Didn't you see how he batted in Australia? His one of the best batsman in the world & he averages over 50 in Test Cricket and you're suggesting DROPPING him? His also got 10 hundreds to go with 10 fifties which shows he doesn't just throw everything away.

He was incredibly unlucky in this series I reckon. Didn't get out to one false stroke in the entire series. His dismissals were due to either bad umpiring or demons in the pitch.

Why would you drop your best batsman in the side? If anything, that'll make things MUCH MUCH worse.

It was 1 year ago in Australia. And if a guy bats well in Australia does not mean he will bat well in sub continent. If that was case then Australia would never have struggled in sub continent. Its only now that there record has improved.

RoboRocks

Chairman of Selectors
There is a reason we only drew with Sri Lanka at home, there is a reason we lost to India at home, there is a reason why we lost 5-0 to Australia, there is a reason we've lost this series and let's be honest, we hardly smashed the West Indies as well as we should've. We currently aren't good enough, quite simple.

I have absolutely no doubts at all that the 2004/5 side would've lost just one of those series and made sure they gave the West Indies a damn good seeing to.

On the series we would've lost it would've been the Ashes, the Australia batting line up was just too good. I reckon the series against India would've been an absolute belter. The Indian bowlers really impressed me with their skill in the bowler friendly conditions we had until the last test at The Oval.

Joe has pretty much covered the rest.

We did beat Pakistan at home and played well during that series but we can't play in sub continental condtions. England are a good side they've just a bad time recently.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Will do. When an Aussie is blatantly, hypocritically wrong though, I just have to point it out. :D

Ryan Sidebottom has to stay in the team! I always think he will get a wicket when he comes on.

Sureshot

Executive member
Not being critical of the bowlers themselves, but I think our biggest problem has been how our attack changes every other test match due to injuries and poor form.

I do think there is some over-reaction though, and people have too high expectations, Sri Lanka are a damn good side, better than us, and they're at home. Yes we've had some poor results in Test Cricket, I wouldn't say they've been awful though. Things will pick up.

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
Tomorrow it will be Sri Lanka vs Rain and I think rain will win, because the predictions don't look good.

gary0808

Club Cricketer
I never thought the England Cricket fans were so football like. You know the type 'We're gonna win the World Cup' and then we're worse than Crotia and Russia. Don't worry about English Cricket.

Cook-One of the best openers in the world at a very young age.

Vaughan-Looks better and better the more I watch him bat. Has an average of 44 with 17 Centuries

Bell-Very Talented Player. Has come on leaps and bounds over the past 18 months.

Pietersen-One of the best in the world

Collingwood-Makes up for lack of talent with a dogged defence and hard work

Hoggard-Mr Reliable. 6th in ICC Rankings and been Englands best bowler for a long time now.

Harmison-Has the potential to win matches for England remember Pakistan at Old Trafford 2006 and the infamous West Indies tour. A 90mph bowler with bounce will always be threatening.

Panesar-If you remove Kumble and Murali who are in their own league when it comes to spin bowling. He (with Kaneria) is probably the best spin bowler inm the world.

We are a million miles better than new Zealand and I for one expect England to fight back strongly in new Zealand and against South Africa next year

Last edited:

lancashire666

International Coach
i agree that england have a lot of talent, but they are simple not playing to the standard they should be and IMO are the 5th best team in the world as Aus, India, Sri lanka and South africa are all playing much better at the moment.
i personally would like to see vaughan back at 3 and harmison dropped with broad playing, and in sub-contanant conditions i would of played swann insted of bopara so we had 2 spinners and 5 bowlers, maby we could of gotten 20 wickets in a match then. in new zealand i would only play 4 bowlers and we wont need 2 spinners there

International Coach
England crash after a good start,lose 3 wickets for no runs.

dikon

Club Cricketer
i agree that england have a lot of talent, but they are simple not playing to the standard they should be and IMO are the 5th best team in the world as Aus, India, Sri lanka and South africa are all playing much better at the moment.
i personally would like to see vaughan back at 3 and harmison dropped with broad playing, and in sub-contanant conditions i would of played swann insted of bopara so we had 2 spinners and 5 bowlers, maby we could of gotten 20 wickets in a match then. in new zealand i would only play 4 bowlers and we wont need 2 spinners there

What's Harmison done wrong?He was arguably our best bowler in this series and the pitches couldn't be more unsuited to him.

manee

Chairman of Selectors
What's Harmison done wrong?

Harmison admitted himself that he was putting the ball on the spot rather than bowling it there. He is still a shadow of his former self and I think that he could leak runs on quicker pitches. He is on the road to recovery but don't let the statistics fool you.

dikon

Club Cricketer
Harmison admitted himself that he was putting the ball on the spot rather than bowling it there. He is still a shadow of his former self and I think that he could leak runs on quicker pitches. He is on the road to recovery but don't let the statistics fool you.

He only said he was 'putting it there' in the first session of this test match.Apart from that he got it right, his control was there and he wasn't spraying it down leg side like he was doing previously.

Users who are viewing this thread