England in Sri Lanka

Sureshot

Executive member
Online Cricket Games Owned
Cook did well, his 7th test hundred, but a highest score of only 127. Prior fought well too, facing 100 balls, just about saved some pride for this game.

Series summary:

We were poor, I didn't expect a series victory but I expected a better performance, especially from the experienced players (ie, Vaughan). Looking at the team though, we haven't got a huge amount of experience, Vaughan and Harmison are the only ones with 40 or more tests, of course that is no excuse, but interesting when Sri Lanka have 5. Several players can hold their heads high (if possible, as team>personal performance). Cook and Bell in the batting department did well, although Cook was saved by his hundred today and Bell has to convert more 50s to 100s. Prior had a decent series with the bat too, I think his keeping has improved since India, still needs work though. Vaughan, KP and Colly should've contributed more though. Bowling was our biggest problem this series, with 2 averaging under 30, Colly with 3 wickets @ 21 and Hoggard with 7 wickets @ 29.28. I thought Harmison did okay, even if he did bowl a bit within himself. Panesar, Sidebottom and Anderson (in the first test) were poor though, averaging 50.62, 63.60 and 83.50 respectively, and only 15 wickets between them at a strike rate of 113. Through Broad into that too and the S/R goes up to about 140. We didn't take enough wickets, simple as. Bopara had a poor series, averaging only 8.40.

What next?

A big tour of New Zealand, 2 sides with dented pride who will be looking to bounce back.

Team changes?

I think Bopara has to be dropped, I rate him, but he was poor, get Shah in and Colly can bowl some overs if need be. I'm not sure I'd make any other changes. Bowling attack would be same as this match, injuries allowing.

Is Sidebottom's place in the side certain?

His average is poor, he has had some bad luck, I'd stick with him, in New Zealand he could be dangerous.

The fielding has been poor too, we are getting a fielding coach in the new year apparently. Whether the fielding was poor due to tiredness/heat/humidity is debatable. The slips aren't sorted either, in the past we've had Tres and Strauss both dropped/unavailable, both were reliable slip fielders. Cook has come in, and has improved, not sure if he's a slip catcher though. I'd have Colly in there, Bell too.

Bell, Colly and Cook?

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Strauss, Colly and Bell ;)

I vote we drop Bopara, move Bell down to 5, Colly 6, with Cook, Strauss and Vaughan at the top of the order. Strauss's game suits the New Zealand conditions, and i think he will really have a point to prove, he's a magnificent player, and deserves a recall.

I'd personally drop Sidebottom, and let Jimmy have a full series to prove his worth, i still think he is the future leader of the attack, along with Broad and Tremlett/Onions once they've developed sufficiently, and Hoggy and Harmy have left. Anderson may have had 1 poor test match, but he is a world class bowler, and has the potential to be one of the best in the world.

Personally i'd go for a first test team of:
Strauss
Cook
Vaughan
Pietersen
Bell
Collingwood
Prior
Hoggard
Harmison
Anderson
Panesar

Then stick with it for the whole series, have Sidey, Shah, Broad and Bopara as back-up players, but bring the experienced and talented Strauss back into the team. That's what i'd do if i was in charge anyway.

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
Trescothick over strauss anyday. Wether or not Trescothick has another break down or not seems to be the main point.

Personally, I wouldnt drop Sidebottom he has had an amazingly unlucky series, He produced a few good innings with the bat and seems to be one of Englands Main fighters, playing his heart out and never giving up. With his bowling he constantly asked questions to the batsmen and overall i belive the stat was 6 of Priors 8 dropped catches came off the bowling of Sidebottom.

dikon

Club Cricketer
Trescothick over strauss anyday. Wether or not Trescothick has another break down or not seems to be the main point.

Personally, I wouldnt drop Sidebottom he has had an amazingly unlucky series, He produced a few good innings with the bat and seems to be one of Englands Main fighters, playing his heart out and never giving up. With his bowling he constantly asked questions to the batsmen and overall i belive the stat was 6 of Priors 8 dropped catches came off the bowling of Sidebottom.

Prior has dropped eight off Sidebottom in all tests.Bell dropped one in this series aswell.Sidebottom has bowled really well always looks dangerous and always give his 100% effort to the cause.

Last edited:

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
When the numbers that high surely there must be something in Priors technique to the left arm bowlers thats causing it? Hopefully its something Prior can sort anyway.

Manly

Thor
not so much to do with cricket but with the test, saw this on the BBC website:
1001: Fantastic scenes out in the middle - the water is three inches deep on the covers, and the groundstaff - rather than attempting to mop it up - are taking it in turns doing full-length dives into the puddles. Anyone who doesn't join in is getting shoved over. Not something you see very often at Lord's, to be fair.
how cool is that?

Animator!

School Cricketer
We do that at my club when it rains. Always bring your swim shorts along.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I saw that on TV, they were having a whale of a time. :D

New Zealand next then, there are two Twenty20s and five ODIs before the real stuff starts though.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
I must agree that the Test section of the tour was underwhelming. I didn't expect us to win, but this 1-0 defeat feels like it should have been more. Sri Lanka have two World Class batsmen and they both punished us to be honest. Some poor choices by the management weren't ideal either in my opinion. Bopara making his debut in conditions he doesn't know and against hostile bowlers was stupid in my view. It's only going to knock his confidence coming out of here averaging less than 10 or whatever it is. Same goes for Broad's one appearance as well.

Out batting order as a whole is a shambles really. We need to sort out where Vaughan is going to play. For me Cook has done enough to be a first choice opener now, sure he might struggle at times but he's the future and needs to be kept in the side to have some sort of consistency there. Bell just doesn't look like a Test Number 3. It's all very good getting a few 50's and pushing the averages into the 40's but he needs to get big scores. When you look at the other number 3's in world cricket he doesn't compare really. I think a lot depends on Strauss, he appears to be the only other viable option to open. Unless we go back to someone like Rob Key, but I can't see us going for another youngster to be honest.

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
When the numbers that high surely there must be something in Priors technique to the left arm bowlers thats causing it? Hopefully its something Prior can sort anyway.

Yeah there probably is but i dont see Moores dropping him, I might get some differenet comments back after this but, many people say some of our keepers are to young and in expierienced, prior seems to have some problems catching and looks as if he is playing the wrong sport when he dives to 'catch' the ball he is actually thinking he is a football goalie and need to turn it round the corner.

My views; bring in John Batty as short term replacement (Surrey WK) he has an average of 33 but has produced 16 hundreds and 34 50's, He is a player that has been overshadowed by Alec Stewart, Batty has kept to such bowlers as Saqlain Mushtaq, Anil Kumble and Azzar Mahmood just to name a few, He has taken 420 catches and 56 stumpings, he has always done well especially keeping to really good players, Bring him in for the short term get Prior back at Sussex get him working with somebody on his keeping, let the younger ones mature and then they will have good expierience.

I am not ruling out any other keepers,

Stas;
Code:
Batty;          Mat  	Inns  	NO  	Runs  	HS  	Ave  	BF  	SR  	100  	50  	4s  	6s  	Ct  	St
First-class 	159 	243 	30 	7235 	168* 	33.96 			16 	34 			420 	56

Sureshot

Executive member
Batty seems a bit of a step back tbh. Plus, he won't always get the chance to bat on the best wicket in the country.

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
He has made scores on different Wickets, I think we have a Wicket Keeping Curse :p

Animator!

School Cricketer
Batty drops a lot of chances. He's probably the most 'safe' batting option because whilst Prior's a better bat than Batty, Batty plays within himself whereas Prior seeks run rather than waits.

We should in all honesty go forward with James Foster or Steven Davies. Foster is easily the best Keeper in England, justified if anybody saw him standing up to Bichel bowling 85+ last year in the one day games and taking everything comfortably, inc. down the leg side. His batting isn't up to what we'd like obviously, but we do need to move on from this our keeper must be a batsman in his own right quest because we just don't have one around at the moment.

Steven Davies is the best young keeper in England who has currently broken through in first class cricket. His Keeper is pretty good, but does need work, but he is young, he has only completed two years of FCC. His battin is good, very solid, good technique as shown by his performances opening the batting in OD cricket for Worcestershire last year, and batting at 6 in the 4 day stuff.

Sureshot

Executive member
Prior has waited this whole series, has he not?

I like the look of Davies, his inexperience is the only thing that bothers me.

Foster? Good, not so sure his batting is international standard, though saying that you don't know until you try (on the basis he's improved since his matches for England)

Prior will play in New Zealand, I think he will tried with for quite a while, as long as his keeping doesn't fall through the floor he will get picked.

Users who are viewing this thread