7th ODI: Australia v England at Perth

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Morgan is now out of this with a fractured finger and his world cup future is in doubt too.

So, Plunkett and Wright to play or Davies play as a batsman?

Geez I thought we had injury problems, would be a massive blow if he is out as the subcontinent wickets looked perfect for him.

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Wait Aus will open with 2 keepers? Who is going to keep?

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
I want Timmy at 6.

Any other teams ever opened with 2 keepers before?

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
England 1 Andrew Strauss (capt), 2 Steven Davies, 3 Jonathan Trott, 4 Kevin Pietersen, 5 Ian Bell, 6 Matt Prior (wk), 7 Luke Wright, 8 Michael Yardy, 9 Liam Plunkett, 10 Steven Finn, 11 James Anderson.

Australia 1 Brad Haddin (wk), 2 Tim Paine, 3 Callum Ferguson, 4 Cameron White (capt), 5 David Hussey, 6 Adam Voges, 7 Mitchell Johnson, 8 John Hastings, 9 Jason Krejza, 10 Doug Bollinger, 11 Shaun Tait.

New captain and a change in fortune for the toss. We are batting first so will be good seeing what sort of total we can post although it's quite understrength.

Biggy

Panel of Selectors
wtf just happened. ump gives it not out, so does hawk-eye. but it's out?:clap

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Haddin is starting to become one dimensional with his backing away for the big shot. Here's hoping he is hiding the shot towards leg side for the WC else hes going to be easily worked out.

ferg512

International Coach
I don't care what anyone says there is no good coming from a 7 match ODI series. This tour should have finished a week or two ago. These games are becoming pretty boring.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
White is a bore fest when he starts and Haddin likewise if he can't get his boundaries away. And he ends the series with another poor shot.

----------

Finally a player that is playing ODI, nice start by Dussey given this game a bit of life again.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Unlucky Dussey looked really good today, he looked like Mike Hussey today with the way he played his shots. Voges has done well probably his best knock for Australia, heres hoping he shows us some big hits.

Roofrom50

International Coach
Take an over or 2 for Mitch to get settled and then they should take the batting powerplay. Dussey and Voges should have taken it when Dussey was set.

Owzat

International Coach
Long since dead rubber, aussies make quite a few changes and England still can't wrap up a good situation. Why? Because the England bowling is weak and the captain equally so, his tactics are now so predictable - get through the 4th and 5th bowlers and save the main bowlers too many overs for the death. Does he not realise allowing the game to drift allows the batting side to build up to a big thrash at the end?!?!?

I hope this demonstrates clearly what I am talking about

OVERS 20-35 (7th ODI)

20th over : AUS 73/3 (R/R 3.65)
25th over : AUS 102/3 (R/R 4.08)
30th over : AUS 133/4 (R/R 4.43)
35th over : AUS 175/4 (R/R 5.00)

Bowlers used :

Plunkett 2-0-16-0
Wright 5-0-31-0
Yardy 7-0-43-1
Trott 1-0-8-0

One attempt to make a breakthrough, but TWO overs out of 15 only bowled by a remotely serious wicket threat, Yardy's two wickets being rare and therefore not withstanding. Yardy and Wright went at six an over, Trott and Plunkett eight an over, and that when the aussies were in trouble having lost early wickets and needing to rebuild.

A lot of people think ER is the key to pressure, but other sides would have weapons in their side to attack and try to make it 133/6, not keep 4+ overs in hand for each of the death bowlers when on top :facepalm while trying to muddle through and effectively giving the initiative back to the batting side. If England lose then I point to that passage of play, 103/4 to conceding a target of what could be near 280 is just not good enough :noway

That said, whoever thinks a bowling attack that includes Wright, Yardy, Trott and an oft expensive Finn with Plunkett and Anderson leading the line is good enough, deserves to lose :yes

Of course the England plan seems to be, and always be, that Anderson and a.n.other have four overs each to bowl at the death so you could argue things have "gone to plan" :rolleyes, the fact that had they bowled earlier the innings might not have reached overs 45-50 seems to be something England worry less about than doing some over juggling :thumbs

----------

Target "could be near 280", well it is 280 - unless someone adjusts the total after a cross check. Reckon the aussies will win this, nothing of substance in the middle to lower order for England - Wright, Yardy, Plunkett, Finn, Anderson.

Strauss has scored four fifties in his last 10 innings, none higher than 68. Davies was left out after the 1st ODI, the rest blow hot and cold.

Last edited:

WORLD CHAMPIONS

PC Battrick Cup Champion S17
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
This the problem and really an area to be concern about Sloon. He realy bowl numerous wides. He really needs to check that :(

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Warmup games will be important in figuring out our best attack, we certainly can't have Tait doing this over there plus the slower pitches will take out the venom in his pace.

Owzat

International Coach
56/4 :eek: I thought it would be an aussie win, but I didn't expect England to lie down.

I guess this series counts as a "warm up" for the aussies :facepalm We won the series that mattered, but it would be nice to go into a World Cup with optimism for the first time since 1992. FOUR World Cups later and at best we've been also-rans, at worst we've been sandwiched between also-rans and minnows.

Users who are viewing this thread