Chewie

BCCI President
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I believe Haddin is keeping, and Davies was keeping

Roofrom50

International Coach
Yeah Haddin kept for Australia and Davies was keeper for England. Matt Prior took a sensational catch on the rope (wouldn't of been able to do that if he was keeping)

Good win for Australia in the match and the series. Really sets them up for a big world cup.

Owzat

International Coach
Another pretty awful performance by England, good start to the ODI but then they just allowed the aussies to bat by giving them 'help yourself' bowlers to ease any pressure and the aussies said ta very much and posted a much bigger total than they perhaps should have - maybe even 40-50 runs too many.

Yardy picked up a couple of cheap wickets and made a seemingly useful 60no, but in truth by the time he came to the crease the game was all but over and he just made runs in a meaningless situation. Shame his bowling isn't up to scratch and his batting isn't really either.

Might as well look forward to the World Cup after this, or realistically just cross fingers and hope some real prodigies somehow come through for the World Cup in 10-20 years time.

midgetwars

Club Captain
This is the best result for Australia. 2 Games momentum into the WC. A lost game out of the system so it doesn't happen in the WC.

Voges for Smith.

Covvy

Panel of Selectors
5000 vcash is yours Syl, Bloody fast bowlers taking all the wickets :p

AkshayS

Chairman of Selectors
Great batting from Boges and Dussey there, Dussey impressed yet again.
Also Mitch bowled really well.

Dutchmen

Club Captain
The defeat in this game was a hard one to take before the WC because they fought very hard to stay in the game and then on that it got away very quickly.

Sureshot

Executive member
Another pretty awful performance by England, good start to the ODI but then they just allowed the aussies to bat by giving them 'help yourself' bowlers to ease any pressure and the aussies said ta very much and posted a much bigger total than they perhaps should have - maybe even 40-50 runs too many.

Yardy picked up a couple of cheap wickets and made a seemingly useful 60no, but in truth by the time he came to the crease the game was all but over and he just made runs in a meaningless situation. Shame his bowling isn't up to scratch and his batting isn't really either.

Might as well look forward to the World Cup after this, or realistically just cross fingers and hope some real prodigies somehow come through for the World Cup in 10-20 years time.

Or you could give credit to Dussey and Voges for playing well in a match-winning partnership, but I realise it is of course easier to blame England and more statistics.

------

I think Strauss made some poor calls in the field, taking Wright off after 4 overs at about 4rpo including 3 near wickets seemed costly to Wright's bowling after that. I thought we were a bit wayward and I don't understand playing Plunkett, Tredwell may not be great, but he is going to the World Cup and we should give him some games now in case we have to use him. It was a wides feast today by both sides, the failing again was in the top 5/6 batsmen. Not got an issue with Trott, but the rest seem to be completely unable to take any ownership of an innings, maybe this series is actually what we needed to kick on in the World Cup, I'm expecting a couple of changes to the squad, so who knows what could happen, but fatigue will play a major role, utterly stupid to go from a 3-month tour, to 4-days off (most of which recovering from flying) and then flying another 5,000 miles for a 2 month tournament.

It's pathetic scheduling.

Well done Australia, had way more drive and enthusiasm than we have had all series.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
5000 vcash is yours Syl, Bloody fast bowlers taking all the wickets

Hehe although he did make a last ditch attempt.

White will want to produce soon as I'm sure the selectors are trying their best to have Smith and Dussey in the same side.

Bollinger death bowling has been a concern so he should definitely be playing in all the warm up matches along with Tait and Hastings.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
For those Krejza lovers out there - last night was a great example of what he's all about. Plenty of potential and he could become a really good bowler, but he bowls too many half trackers. He's the Stuart MacGill of off spinners, but not as good and also... for OFF SPINNERS. How many offies bowl half trackers??

Tony Greig was a fanboy. After one over he said Krejza was the #1 spinner in Australia. If he finds some control, I would probably agree, but I can't see him lasting if he can't bowl consistently.

Covvy

Panel of Selectors
Agree with you 100% there Sifter. He is a very frustuating player to watch, it's a bit like Hilfy sometimes. You feel like just screaming to him "Pitch it up!!!".

War

Chairman of Selectors
For those Krejza lovers out there - last night was a great example of what he's all about. Plenty of potential and he could become a really good bowler, but he bowls too many half trackers. He's the Stuart MacGill of off spinners, but not as good and also... for OFF SPINNERS. How many offies bowl half trackers??

Tony Greig was a fanboy. After one over he said Krejza was the #1 spinner in Australia. If he finds some control, I would probably agree, but I can't see him lasting if he can't bowl consistently.

As you said he is the MacGill of off-spinner & indeed i dont believe any off-spinner in test history who had a long career bowled so many half-trackers mixed with big turners. So yea Krejza is unique in that way, since he bowls like your historical standard leg-spinner whose control of line-and-length is not as consistent as those whose name isn't Warne, O'Reilly, Grimmett, Qadir.

But i dont see that as fault or as a reason why he cant be a consistent threat in tests (since i dont see him being of much use in ODIs or T20s @ international level IMO).

Its a simple case of understanding his strengths & having a smart captain that would know how to use him in a match situation. He bowls wicket-taking deliveries & he at least will be able to give AUS a wicket-taking threat on wearing/4th innings wickets more often than not (something Hauritz, Doherty, Beer, O'Keefe couldn't/wouldn't offer) thus in AUS future 5-man test attacks he will be one of the attacking bowlers. One of quicks will have to be depended on to do defensive bowling. I recall many times when MacGill played, Warne would reduce his attacking style & become defensive in order to support MacGill.

Last edited:

TumTum

International Cricketer
As you said he is the MacGill of off-spinner & indeed i dont believe any off-spinner in test history who had a long career bowled so many half-trackers mixed with big turners. So yea Krejza is unique in that way, since he bowls like your historical standard leg-spinner whose control of line-and-length is not consistent whose name isn't Warne, O'Reilly, Grimmett, Qadir.

But i dont see that as fault or as a reason why he cant be a consistent threat in tests (since i dont see him being of much use in ODIs or T20s @ international level IMO).

Its a simple case of understanding his strengths & having a smart captain that would know how to use him in a match situation. He bowls wicket-taking deliveries & he at least will be able to give AUS a wicket-taking threat on wearing/4th innings wickets more often than not (something Hauritz, Doherty, Beer couldn't offer) thus in AUS future 5-man test attacks he will be one of the attacking bowlers. One of quicks will have to be depended on to do defensive bowling. I recall many times when MacGill played, Warne would reduce his attacking style & become defensive in order to support MacGill.

Problem is he will always go for runs, on a flat deck or a raging turner doesn't matter, because bad balls are always put away by international class batsman.

Also leg spinners are less likelier to get put away by bowling bad deliveries than off spinners due to batsman not being able to time it properly, and in some cases bad deliveries get them their wickets. So you can't compare MacGill to Krezja in that respect.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator

Given his T20 record in the Big Bash I would say he might be of use in that format. It should be simple for Krejza, pick up wickets in Shield cricket and get your test spot back, if he can't even get wickets against our domestic batsmen then hes got little hope in going well at the next level.

Users who are viewing this thread