A Decade At A Close - what has been the best innings of the last ten years?

P

pcfan123

Most innings mentioned here have been in tight match situations and on decent pitches or against good bowling attacks.

No one has even brought up Sehwags run a ball 300 against the SA attack probably because of the pitch.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
I'm in a bad mood. :p Sachin needs to be praised for his efforts!

In seriousness -

Laxman's 281
Dravid's 233
---
The rest.

WORLD CHAMPIONS

PC Battrick Cup Champion S17
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I'm in a bad mood. :p Sachin needs to be praised for his efforts!

In seriousness -

Laxman's 281
Dravid's 233
---
The rest.

Definately, he played really wonderful even at this age which is truly amazing but I will rate Sachins Sharjah innings as his best ever. He took on a strong bowling linups but today hardly bowling was there ..... tbh considering his age, this was a great knock :clap

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
Sehwags 201* against sri lanka last year was pretty epic and much better than is triple against south africa on a flat pitch.

what about jayawardene's 374 against south africa?

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Yep, Sehwag's 201 was awesome. Especially because the next highest score was 56 by Gambhir. And the ease at which he batted, his strike rate was over 84.

Mendis was a mystery and we didn't have an answer to him and Murali on Siril pitches. We tried to read them, play a 'real' innings - Sehwag didn't care as he blasted it wherever the ball pitched.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Most innings mentioned here have been in tight match situations and on decent pitches or against good bowling attacks.

No one has even brought up Sehwags run a ball 300 against the SA attack probably because of the pitch.

Sehwag's 300 wasn't anywhere near as flawless as Lara's, and didn't break a world record. Lara's innings was stunning. Sure the pitch was flat, but the way he just played around with Michael Vaughan by forcing him to move fielders where he wanted them, only to then pick the gap left by the previous field change was just masterful. He showed incredible concentration, batting for 778 minutes, facing 582 balls. That's an incredible amount of time to be batting. It may not have been as important in terms of match situation as Tendulkar's innings last December against England, or Kamran Akmal's innings for Pakistan, but it's a different type of innings, and a different type of brilliance. It should certainly be held in the highest regard, irrespective of the pitch or match situation.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
You knew a big Lara innings was coming after Hayden got that 380. Once the 400 is broken I feel he might even make a comeback for the lone test, score 500 and quit again :p.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Lara's 400* surely deserves a mention as well.

It surprises me that this knock hasn't been mentioned more, especially when you consider some of the other "inferior" knocks that have been mentioned.

TheGreemSim

International Cricketer
Test: Nathan Astle - 222 against England
ODI: Herschelle Gibbs - 175 against Australia

ODI: Craig McMillan - 117 (96) against Australia (2007)
Came to the wicket at 4 for 41, NZ chasing 350 for victory.

ODI: Mark Gillespie - 28 against Australia, in the same match.
I was out of my seat for this one. He Came to the wicket when we needed 50 off the last 5 over's, with just two wickets in hand. He played some of the best shots in the book, including numerous french cut and edges, as he blasted 28 off just 15 to take us all but home.

Of course I'm being a bit biased. :D

I agree with all of them.

Ooh Perhaps the 77 not out from Tim Southe against England deserves a mention.

P

pcfan123

I agree with all of them.

Ooh Perhaps the 77 not out from Tim Southe against England deserves a mention.

As one of the best innings of the decade? It was good fun to watch but come on. That was more of a "wham bam, thank you m'aam" 2020 style innings than anything else.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
another good mahela one was his 123 chasing 350 off south africa where they won by 1 wicket.

he took them within about 10 runs before he was out. Am I the only person that remembers that series?

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
Mahelas 61 and 119 to help Sri Lanka draw the 1st test at Lords a few years back was good too.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Oo, Sachin Tendulkar 98 vs Pakistan 2003 definitely the best ODI innings of the decade that I have seen.

Users who are viewing this thread