TENNIS AO Tennis 2

Nard2020

Club Captain
I really think BA should reconsider their routines and go forth with a dedicated team for AO Tennis in place of the usual cyclical development rotation of titles( and 3 months of solid post release support before phasing into the next series). AO Tennis is their most mainstream IP and Tennis is the most globally known sport in their catalog. They are also in a market that all previous series had million sellers ( unlike their other niche sports). They've got the licenses of Nadal, Andreescu, Barty and Kygrios plus the backing of TA and the AO........they should have a full time team working on this series year around. If they can rework the gameplay, there's no reason the AO Tennis series couldn't be a big player in the sports arena in the years to come.

jabbathehut

County Cricketer
Its still hard to see what improvements there are in ao2 over the first game.The easy level you can always win and one level up its a struggle to get points to be honest its not a very enjoyable game If you want to win a point its an endless rally .I haven't played tennis world tour but from what i gather its not much better all we want is a game that looks like tennis feels like tennis and is enjoyable to play.Yes rallys are part of the game but you should be able to hit winners as well from time to time.

beechcroft

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
Its still hard to see what improvements there are in ao2 over the first game.The easy level you can always win and one level up its a struggle to get points to be honest its not a very enjoyable game If you want to win a point its an endless rally .I haven't played tennis world tour but from what i gather its not much better all we want is a game that looks like tennis feels like tennis and is enjoyable to play.Yes rallys are part of the game but you should be able to hit winners as well from time to time.

Here's my experience. I have about 150 hours of playing the game. I started a career as an amateur. I gradually got better and by the end of the year I'd won a few futures tournaments, challenger tournaments, and a couple of world tournaments. More importantly, I'd built up my skill and attribute points, and even got some sponsors. There were some long rallies and some short rallies, and I hit plenty of winners. I also took the occasional week off to train, which helped to increase my level.

In my second year, I turned semi-pro, and a couple of months later, I turned pro. It's certainly a lot more enjoyable and challenging at the pro level, but I wouldn't have wanted to play at the pro level without building up my skill and attribute points first.

Nard2020

Club Captain

The improvements are almost purely from a Presentation and Polish perspective ( and very welcomed!). I don't think much of anything was done to the gameplay (nothing significant for that matter)....hence me making that post.
Look if what've i know is true, the Tennis gaming landscape is going to be changing soon and they may lose their opportunity- then again, maybe they are okay with it.

beechcroft

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
The improvements are almost purely from a Presentation and Polish perspective ( and very welcomed!). I don't think much of anything was done to the gameplay (nothing significant for that matter)....hence me making that post.
Look if what've i know is true, the Tennis gaming landscape is going to be changing soon and they may lose their opportunity- then again, maybe they are okay with it.

I'd be interested to know why you're saying that. Can you tell us what you know?

jabbathehut

County Cricketer
Here's my experience. I have about 150 hours of playing the game. I started a career as an amateur. I gradually got better and by the end of the year I'd won a few futures tournaments, challenger tournaments, and a couple of world tournaments. More importantly, I'd built up my skill and attribute points, and even got some sponsors. There were some long rallies and some short rallies, and I hit plenty of winners. I also took the occasional week off to train, which helped to increase my level.

In my second year, I turned semi-pro, and a couple of months later, I turned pro. It's certainly a lot more enjoyable and challenging at the pro level, but I wouldn't have wanted to play at the pro level without building up my skill and attribute points first.

Wow thats a serious effort.I just don't have that kind of time unfortunately but i will give it another shot.

jabbathehut

County Cricketer
If there were no real gameplay improvements it should have been a patch.Maybe you are hinting that ea or 2k are getting into tennis gaming this will of course crush big ant on every level.If world tennis tour really sold 700,000 copies its easy to see why they are interested.
Just a pure guess on my part.

Nard2020

Club Captain
I'd be interested to know why you're saying that. Can you tell us what you know?
Not counting Big Ant/AO Tennis, there are no less than 3 game developers working on Tennis games as we speak. That's all i can say.

And i'm saying that because at most, only 1 will be out within the next year or so. That means AO still has a chance to really step up, but once these others get released, it'll likely be goodbye. They have a head-start.......

beechcroft

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
It's good to hear that more tennis games are being developed. As we've all said many times on this site: competition raises everyone's game. If a game comes out that's better than AO Tennis, I'll be the first to buy it.

Nard2020

Club Captain
It's good to hear that more tennis games are being developed. As we've all said many times on this site: competition raises everyone's game. If a game comes out that's better than AO Tennis, I'll be the first to buy it.
That's great and all, and the sentiment is indeed shared...but the point is, i'd like to see them step up and have a proper dedicated team-not for competition, not for me, but because they could have a really good game and the genre is on the verge of becoming packed. I'd like to see them succeed.

beechcroft

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
That's great and all, and the sentiment is indeed shared...but the point is, i'd like to see them step up and have a proper dedicated team-not for competition, not for me, but because they could have a really good game and the genre is on the verge of becoming packed. I'd like to see them succeed.

I get what you're saying, and I agree. I know, firsthand, that Ross is very aware of his competition, so maybe that will happen.

Nard2020

Club Captain
I get what you're saying, and I agree. I know, firsthand, that Ross is very aware of his competition, so maybe that will happen.
On that note, but a different subject, what happened to this game? It hasn't had a full update to the game since March 13, and the last game update of an kind (content) was almost two months ago. There was also some big press release planned for an eSeries event...but the event came and went without even a peep from any of them. Sure development may have been slowed, but even on a communication end- it's been pretty silent.

JohnnyDGaming89

County Cricketer
On that note, but a different subject, what happened to this game? It hasn't had a full update to the game since March 13, and the last game update of an kind (content) was almost two months ago. There was also some big press release planned for an eSeries event...but the event came and went without even a peep from any of them. Sure development may have been slowed, but even on a communication end- it's been pretty silent.

I didn't even know that event had happened, shows how little publicity there was for it.

Victoria where Big Ant are based does have the highest rate of new cases on a daily basis with Covid-19 but most states here are returning to normal slowly. Unsure if they have been able to return to their office or not.

Nard2020

Club Captain
I didn't even know that event had happened, shows how little publicity there was for it.

Victoria where Big Ant are based does have the highest rate of new cases on a daily basis with Covid-19 but most states here are returning to normal slowly. Unsure if they have been able to return to their office or not.

I figured that, and as a smaller studio they probably can't work from home like most of the bigger devs can. I just wonder how that affects communication and support. That's why i asked, if maybe they've started to move on from AO Tennis.

beechcroft

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England

I don't have any inside info on whether or when there'll be any more updates to the game. Sorry.

I too was wondering about that virtual tennis event, and why I hadn't seen anything about it. I just found a tweet about it, that had a link to this:

but if I hadn't searched for it, I wouldn't have known it was happening.

Users who are viewing this thread