SLIDERS - Around the world in 80 pitch sliders.....again

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Does the pitch wear actually stay now when you save and exit, and then reload into the match because in C19 it would always reset each time you loaded back into the match. Was very annoying having the pitch look how it did before the first ball was bowled on day one, on the 4th or 5th day of a test.
Nope, mine still looks like a day 3 pitch, the same one I posted an image of. So that's something, at least!

I need to do some proper testing, identical teams, line data up side by side, it's the only way to really test it with any accuracy (which still isn't all that accurate, I'll admit), but at the moment I'm having too much fun actually playing haha

Something for the New Year perhaps.

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
It is not sticking in PC vereion. Can anyone else also confirm this bug?
Yeah, sticking on PS4. In fact, here's day 4. I did make it, but not by much.

1639571527862.png

Not a lot of change 3 to 4, little bit of marking where the majority of balls pitch, the one remaining grassy section in the middle has gone as well. Still, a lot of visual difference comparing day 1 to day 4.

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Oof! Well, this one progressed quickly!

Firstly, I should say that day 1 of this game was PS4 1.08, it then updated yesterday evening and today I was 1.09. Pretty much me being 30-1 or so, onwards. Not sure how much difference that will make, but worth noting.

In the early going, I did great. They only put 228 up, so I fancied my chances of at least getting there. The only wicket I lost in the morning session was running Hameed out. Legitimate run out as well. I felt like there was a single to midwicket and set off, just didn't get there. 6 inches short or so. Nice that it wasn't a bug, just a bad decision.

100-1 at lunch, day 2. Laughing! Only 128 behind, 9 wickets left. Tuck into the tea and cake boys, we're on here!

View attachment 259401
100-1 to 185 all done, 10 overs before tea. Absolute carnage.

The Burns run out was a bug (that I've reported) where he didn't stay in his ground after returning following a cancelled run. Everything else was legitimately hard work. I can't say for sure, but I feel like the ball is doing more now than when I bowled. It's nipping everywhere and the swing is more than enough as well.

Malan went first ball after lunch slashing at a wide one. Root got bowled. Bairstow mistimed a drive and chipped to short cover. Stokes edged a full one to slip. Buttler feathered one. I couldn't keep track of the clips after that but Woakes was caught behind and Archer drilled one to point. I did at least put 19 on with Anderson and Broad trying to smash everything, but even that didn't last long!

I will say, 4 of the edges were ok timing, not early or late. Bairstow's drive was late, but my efforts to make this more bowler friendly with narrower margins for error off the batting team clearly worked.

Before we move on, this is just awesome.

Watching that again, I'd still try and drive that now. I shouldn't, on that deck you need to get in behind it and wait for a wide one, but it sure is tempting!

So......43 behind, what could we do in the final session of day two?

View attachment 259403
Action! Excitement! 15 wickets fall in the day and WI are 166 ahead with 5 wickets remaining. Chase still there, he made 50 in the first innings, and Da Silva still to come, who also looked good first up.

Nice to see two catches to the keeper, Buttler only had one in the first innings. Run out wasn't a bug either, like mine, it looked like a single could be on and it wasn't.

So, will the collapse continue? Will the AI do a famous tail wag? Will I fold batting in the second innings regardless? Sure is going to be fun to find out!
All done and dusted!

1639571667300.png
That was hard. No century in the match for either team, Malan top scores on 61. I once again folded. Think I was 82-1 and all done for 153. Roston came on late and cleaned up the tail, I only wanted 241 as well. After Malan went, I scored 8 runs in 11 overs trying to settle back in, but it didn't help me. Just passed a lot of balls without scoring any real runs ha! Still, it was great fun. Really enjoyed it.

I did have something I've not seen that often, probably five or more instances of edges on ok or worse timed defensive shots, which is good. I don't like defensive shots to be automatic. A few went off the inside edge into the pad and away, a few skewed up and would have been out with a close catcher in. It was all very satisfying.

Give me a bit and I'll get the sliders on here that I used for others to have a go with. It'll be later today or tomorrow, all being well.

jwestbury661

School Cricketer
All done and dusted!

View attachment 259450
That was hard. No century in the match for either team, Malan top scores on 61. I once again folded. Think I was 82-1 and all done for 153. Roston came on late and cleaned up the tail, I only wanted 241 as well. After Malan went, I scored 8 runs in 11 overs trying to settle back in, but it didn't help me. Just passed a lot of balls without scoring any real runs ha! Still, it was great fun. Really enjoyed it.

I did have something I've not seen that often, probably five or more instances of edges on ok or worse timed defensive shots, which is good. I don't like defensive shots to be automatic. A few went off the inside edge into the pad and away, a few skewed up and would have been out with a close catcher in. It was all very satisfying.

Give me a bit and I'll get the sliders on here that I used for others to have a go with. It'll be later today or tomorrow, all being well.
Eagerly waiting for these sliders, i want to do a series in england before doing an ashes tour down under

Ken Tremendous

International Cricketer
It is not sticking in PC vereion. Can anyone else also confirm this bug?
Sticks for me on PC, pitch wear is always there when i reload up, doesnt reset to Day 1 thankfully.
Post automatically merged:

All done and dusted!

View attachment 259450

Nice low scorer, they are always the thrillers!

Grassy certainly seems to have contributed big time to that?

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Sticks for me on PC, pitch wear is always there when i reload up, doesnt reset to Day 1 thankfully.

Nice low scorer, they are always the thrillers!

Grassy certainly seems to have contributed big time to that?
Yes, mainly due to the exaggerated seam movement you get on grassy strips in general.

In truth, it may need turning down. Most deliveries move some, cutters move a lot. Don't want 90mph spin bowlers that can still turn it sideways.

With the reaction times involved, it can make life tough. A ball that looks like a sure leave outside off stump can easily swing or seam back in and catch you out. The AI can handle it as there's no reaction time involved, it's all code. For a user though, the differences need factoring in.

Don't think it wants toning a lot, but a little bit.

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Right, I'll stick these here and link them on the first post, as they could use some testing to see how others find them.

Difficulty is always going to be subjective. I am under no illusions that some people are better at this game than me. Some will be worst. I'm more interested in how realistic/authentic the game looks on a certain type of pitch.

1639743332752.png

Some of these sliders will be user preference, and as such can be kept at whatever your current default value is. Timing is a good example, don't mess with your own timing window if you've altered it in any way. That will just throw you off and lead to a disappointing time.

The following sliders are the important ones to keep constant to try and replicate what I was playing, with some minor commentary on each:

• The 4 AI sliders - These govern how often AI wickets will fall, how the AI bats and bowls, and how fast they score (under 3.5RPO, I'd expect, if not under 3RPO)
  • Shot timing difficulty - The idea is to narrow the batter's margin for error with timing (i.e. make batting more difficult). The early and late timing windows haven't been touched, just the potential penalty for being in those windows with your shot.
  • Foot placement difficulty - Again, increases the penalty for poor batting. Use your feet.
  • Ideal input power boost - Good shots are rewarded. Time a shot, it'll go to the boundary. Not everything will though.
  • All edge sliders - Good inputs will rarely if ever bring an edge, but the ok and poor inputs are increased. This is where the balance tips to the ball rather than the bat. Also, I've played around with the low striker and high striker sliders to try and create proper tail enders, and show a more noticeable difference using establish batters compared to lower order/tail enders.
  • All physics sliders, obviously! Most bowlers will threaten the stumps. Balls will move off the seam, they will swing as well. The spinners will get a bit, though not a lot. I can't recall seeing a bouncer clear the keeper at any stage for byes either.
As mentioned, some sliders can be your choice. Fielding is a good example, as is bowling difficulty. I prefer some narrow windows for bowling, otherwise it's too easy to just pound out ideal ideal balls over and over again.

I've put my umpiring sliders in, as I've had a little play with these, but I want to try and find some real world data on batter/bowler decision challenges and their success levels.

I'm starting to get a reasonable understanding for sliders and their impact now, so if you have any questions just shoot a DM over or drop something in here, myself or @WealeyH will pick it up.

So there you go. For reference, I'm on a standard PS4, in case it makes a difference. I played at Old Trafford, though I doubt the stadium matters.

To be clear, these sliders aren't the finished product. With more testing, they may prove to be fairly wide of the mark in places. That's the point of putting them online.

All I can say is that for my own skill level, I tried to set up a difficult, bowler friendly grassy pitch. In the game I had, I largely succeeded.

Let me know how you get on if you try them, all input is good input as we keep this project going.

Last edited:

Wealey

ICC Board Member
Right, I'll stick these here and link them on the first post, as they could use some testing to see how others find them.

Difficulty is always going to be subjective. I am under no illusions that some people are better at this game than me. Some will be worst. I'm more interested in how realistic/authentic the game looks on a certain type of pitch.

View attachment 259471

Some of these sliders will be user preference, and as such can be kept at whatever your current default value is. Timing is a good example, don't mess with your own timing window if you've altered it in any way. That will just throw you off and lead to a disappointing time.

The following sliders are the important ones to keep constant to try and replicate what I was playing, with some minor commentary on each:

• The 4 AI sliders - These govern how often AI wickets will fall, how the AI bats and bowls, and how fast they score (under 3.5RPO, I'd expect, if not under 3RPO)
  • Shot timing difficulty - The idea is to narrow the batter's margin for error with timing (i.e. make batting more difficult). The early and late timing windows haven't been touched, just the potential penalty for being in those windows with your shot.
  • Foot placement difficulty - Again, increases the penalty for poor batting. Use your feet.
  • Ideal input power boost - Good shots are rewarded. Time a shot, it'll go to the boundary. Not everything will though.
  • All edge sliders - Good inputs will rarely if ever bring an edge, but the ok and poor inputs are increased. This is where the balance tips to the ball rather than the bat. Also, I've played around with the low striker and high striker sliders to try and create proper tail enders, and show a more noticeable difference using establish batters compared to lower order/tail enders.
  • All physics sliders, obviously! Most bowlers will threaten the stumps. Balls will move off the seam, they will swing as well. The spinners will get a bit, though not a lot. I can't recall seeing a bouncer clear the keeper at any stage for byes either.
As mentioned, some sliders can be your choice. Fielding is a good example, as is bowling difficulty. I prefer some narrow windows for bowling, otherwise it's too easy to just pound out ideal ideal balls over and over again.

I've put my umpiring sliders in, as I've had a little play with these, but I want to try and find some real world data on batter/bowler decision challenges and their success levels.

I'm starting to get a reasonable understanding for sliders and their impact now, so if you have any questions just shoot a DM over or drop something in here, myself or @WealeyH will pick it up.

So there you go. For reference, I'm on a standard PS4, in case it makes a difference. I played at Old Trafford, though I doubt the stadium matters.

To be clear, these sliders aren't the finished product. With more testing, they may prove to be fairly wide of the mark in places. That's the point of putting them online.

All I can say is that for my own skill level, I tried to set up a difficult, bowler friendly grassy pitch. In the game I had, I largely succeeded.

Let me know how you get on if you try them, all input is good input as we keep this project going.

From my own knowledge of the sliders these look very good! By the looks of it… that’s not easy settings to bat on either haha!

View attachment 259471

Do we have any dodgy umpires yet in the academy? Is this even a thing?

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
I still can't access Academy, it crashes my PS4. I've seen someone suggest a workaround so I'll give that a go next time I'm on.

Ken Tremendous

International Cricketer

View attachment 259471

Christ that looks like a grassy version of a minefield! I love it.

When ive finished this Aus v WI test ill give it a go in England, looks the sort of pitch and settings where 180 might be a belting score batting first :lol

Godamasu

Club Captain
BNG..
I have an off topic query, have anyone done similer work for cricket 19?

Looks great btw, but as the Cricket 22 is changing everyday with tons of patches this may need tweak every now and then.

Users who are viewing this thread