Aussies that need to step up.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Nah, I agree on Ponting. If he doesn't finish his career averaging in the 60s, it will be a bit of a let down.

CortezTheKiller

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Yeah, but he still looks like a shaved chimp

They made a shoddy job of it; hairiest forearms in cricket for me.

Anyway, I reckon the batting should take care of itself pretty much: Ponting-Clarke-Hussey has an ominously solid look to it and there's always that large-earred fellow at 7 for insurance too. There'll be pressure on Jaques, obviously, as this is his first appearance when he's not just been keeping a seat warm for someone else, but think he'll be right.

It's the bowlers that need to come to the party. Stating the obvious in may be, but McGrath and Warne have left some giant-sized boots to fill. If Clark can carry on with the form he showed in 06/07 (:rolleyes:) he looks the man most likely to assume the McGrath mantle. MacGill has possibly the most onerous task though; with Warney is situ an end was effectively taken care of with the quicks able to rotate at the other end. If SL get after MacGill (& there's a couple who might fancy the job) it could be very interesting indeed. The Gabba hardly a spinners' paradise either.

Last edited:

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Definitely Lee and Clarke. Lee the spearhead of the Aussie attack and Clarke (some say) the future captain.

CortezTheKiller

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Definitely Lee and Clarke. Lee the spearhead of the Aussie attack and Clarke (some say) the future captain.

Gotta be in the box seat, based on age if nothing else. You'd fancy Punter to go on for at least 4 or 5 years yet, which effectively rules out everyone else who's currently established in the first XI.

Unless, of course, Punter gives it away to concentrate on his batting, in which case Hussey could get a go. That seems unlikely though, as Australia (unlike ourselves) don't seem to persist with ex-captains once they stand down.

Users who are viewing this thread