Australia tour of India 2023 - 4 Tests , 3 ODIs

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
My view is radically different - I’ve lost all passion for international “nation vs nation” sport. IPL is where my passion lies right now (and other franchise leagues based on quality of entertainment, standards, etc.).

The hyper toxicity of “fake nationalism” for just a game of sport, has destroyed my passion for “nation vs nation” sport. As we speak, Bumrah is being abused for being ruled out of this series including ODIs while being ready for IPL. Kohli was abused for attending to his family rather than miss it for a pointless series that happens every year or other year.

I won’t feel a drop of emotion when India fail to win the ODI World Cup this year or fail to win the “save tests gimmick” called the WTC finals.

P.s: Before someone asks “why post here if no passion for internationals”, I’m here for time pass. I can do that without passion
A good conversation, finally! Might I suggest a separate thread as this will have invite quite a few opinions here. Personally, there's too much cricket being played across formats. This has caused a saturation for the viewer. Also, the viewers are split among formats here.

Many like you, and I dont blame them, have taken to supporting the IPL/ franchisee as it is easy to connect to. With the slew of changes and retirements internationally, franchisee remains a constant as opposed to the international teams.

Yeah the great Aussie side in the 2000s did what Engl are doing today and surpassed it. Before them the WI did it the 80s.

People find it cool cuz they see England play as a reflection of T20 fast food cricket in Tests.

Australia was more balanced. England are simply 'see ball, hit ball'. Waugh's and Ponting's Australia respected the conditions and played accordingly. They won almost everything, but knew as well where to hit the brakes and go after a draw. Stokes's England seems to be on a mission toward winnings everything. Not a big fan of this approach. I would rather watch a good contest rather than having a look at the batsmen go hammer and tongs every time.

Yep, no one has batted like this over maybe more than one innings at a time, let alone a series or sustained period of time. Three have of the five highest run rates, in a completed innings, in test cricket have been by England since Stokes took over.

Ponting's Australia RPO was 3.52
Waugh's 3.66
England since Stokes became permanent captain is 4.82. Australia, in that same time frame, is 3.82.

In 23 innings England have scored at 5+ run rate ten times. Waugh's Australia managed it nine times 97 innings and only two of those innings last 30+ overs. Ponting's Australia did it 4 times in 144 innings and only once for 30+ overs. England has done this seven times (30+ overs batting like this).

As mentioned in my above point, the Australians respected the conditions more than the current English side do. the contest isnt about scoring at a run rate of 5+ in a test match. Use your power only when you have to. It isn't going to work of super green or dusty tracks.

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
It’s worked in England (albeit with a bad batch of Dukes) and worked in a day night test in NZ. It may fail on dusty pitches but England were already good on them and this might well be what’s needed to make them more competitive in India.

And the contest isn’t about fast scoring, it’s about using the fast scoring to put yourself in a winning position despite not having the skill advantage. So far it’s worked quite well.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
A good conversation, finally! Might I suggest a separate thread as this will have invite quite a few opinions here. Personally, there's too much cricket being played across formats. This has caused a saturation for the viewer. Also, the viewers are split among formats here.

Many like you, and I dont blame them, have taken to supporting the IPL/ franchisee as it is easy to connect to. With the slew of changes and retirements internationally, franchisee remains a constant as opposed to the international teams.

Australia was more balanced. England are simply 'see ball, hit ball'. Waugh's and Ponting's Australia respected the conditions and played accordingly. They won almost everything, but knew as well where to hit the brakes and go after a draw. Stokes's England seems to be on a mission toward winnings everything. Not a big fan of this approach. I would rather watch a good contest rather than having a look at the batsmen go hammer and tongs every time.

As mentioned in my above point, the Australians respected the conditions more than the current English side do. the contest isnt about scoring at a run rate of 5+ in a test match. Use your power only when you have to. It isn't going to work of super green or dusty tracks.
I disagree that they don't respect the conditions. They have adapted when necessary and manipulated circumstances to their advantage. First test against NZ, they twice managed to bowl at the opposition under lights by scoring quick enough when the conditions were favourable. In Pakistan they forced victories on flat pitches by scoring quick enough to allow them time to bowl the opposition out twice, winning more test matches in a month than England have ever won in Pakistan.

Like @Bevab it isn't about fast scoring. I find assertive cricket to be a more appropriate description than attacking. More than anything what Stokes and McCullum have consistently talked about is providing the crowd with entertainment. I was gutted to miss about 2 hours of England batting the other day. Other than when they were regularly getting bowled out in a session over the last decade I can't say they've provided that much entertainment in a such a short space of time very often.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
So, Patrick Cummins to not to return for the remainder of the Test Series. Don't see Australia winning a game from here- I may be mistaken though and shouldn't get too ahead of myself, given how things planned out during Gabba 2020.

Bevab

Staff Member
So, Patrick Cummins to not to return for the remainder of the Test Series. Don't see Australia winning a game from here- I may be mistaken though and shouldn't get too ahead of myself, given how things planned out during Gabba 2020.

Seems like Indore may be more conducive to pacers than the first two tests. With Starc and Green returning they might have a reasonable chance if Boland can do Boland things.

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
Somehow S.Smith as a captain invokes a different level of fear in me. Seems to aid in this batting as well.

Also, about time Marnus comes good. I would say these two will have to take about 70% of the burden if Australia are to challenge India in the last 2 Tests.

pillowprocter

Panel of Selectors
ZIM...
SCO....
Islamabad
Profile Flag
Uganda
Starc in place of Cummins is hardly a downgrade.

Bevab

Staff Member

For some reason he’s always failed against India. Can’t remember him being a factor in the way Pat was.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India

In conditions suited to fats bowling,yes. Starc doesn't quite evoke the same levels of fear anymore. IMO, he is past his prime.

Boland though could be a handful along with Green
Somehow S.Smith as a captain invokes a different level of fear in me
Yes, Smith as captain is a different beast altogether. Don't forget that he's the only Aussie other than Gilchrist to have won a test in India since the start of 2000.

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
I just hope they don't drop KS Bharat today
Are you insinuating a backdoor entry for KLR as a keeper?

In any case, though reports suggest that he is likely to be dropped today, I would still be surprised if that happens.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Are you insinuating a backdoor entry for KLR as a keeper?

In any case, though reports suggest that he is likely to be dropped today, I would still be surprised if that happens.
Yes!

I dont get the point of having KLR in the squad if you are going to drop him. If they play him in place of Bharat, it would indeed point to favoritism and bias. Whilst the reports do suggest that he might be dropped, there's the odd possibility of them dropping Iyer for Gill instead. Again, would be gutted if that happens.

Furthermore, Rohit's take on the Ahmedabad pitch being green might be an interesting one. Seems like Thakur will be the 1st choice seamer if we are playing the WTC Final

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
While Umesh has been good in home games, not sure why Shami was left out. Hope it's because of rest and not the other thing.

Users who are viewing this thread