Australia

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
auslogo.png

For discussion about the Australian cricket team in the T20 World cup.

Squad

Batsmen
  • Ricky Ponting (captain)
  • Michael Clarke (vice-captain)
  • David Hussey
  • Mike Hussey
  • David Warner

Bowlers
  • Nathan Bracken
  • Nathan Hauritz
  • Ben Hilfenhaus
  • Mitchell Johnson
  • Brett Lee
  • Peter Siddle

All Rounders
  • James Hopes
  • Andrew Symonds
  • Shane Watson

Wicket Keepers
  • Brad Haddin

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Can't this be done in the group threads it self?

It's most likely that four of the batsmen will play, including all the allrounders. So of the six bowlers three have to be chosen. Lee and Johnson's places are fixed, so I don't know about the other ones. Bracken's spot is the most likely person to grab that spot.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
The group threads are for match discussions and once the Super 8 stage comes around each match will have it's own match thread so I'd prefer to keep the team discussion in the team threads.

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
All right, then. Here is something to talk about: I don't think that Australia will win the tournament. Especially since they have players, who aren't in form. But the good thing is that Ponting, Clarke and Johnson took some rest. That may help them.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
We just have to hope the players hit form. With the form of Dussey I'm tempted to leave our Clarke to give a team of

Warner
Watson
Ponting
Dussey
Symonds
Hussey
Haddin
Lee
Hauritz/Siddle/Hilfenhaus
Johnson
Bracken

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
All right, then. Here is something to talk about: I don't think that Australia will win the tournament. Especially since they have players, who aren't in form. But the good thing is that Ponting, Clarke and Johnson took some rest. That may help them.

I'm not sure form is going to matter a whole heap in this tournament as the games are so short. Unless you're WHOLE team is playing badly, someone will step up in a given innings, especially with the bat. Bowling form is probably a bit more important, but I think the Aussies have pretty decent bowling form - Bracken is probably the only guy who has poor recent form.

We just have to hope the players hit form. With the form of Dussey I'm tempted to leave our Clarke to give a team of

Warner
Watson
Ponting
Dussey
Symonds
Hussey
Haddin
Lee
Johnson
Bracken

Yes Clarke definitely doesn't have the pedigree for T20 cricket. His record is poor and his batting style does not suit. But I think he could be hidden down at #6 and I'd be very surprised if he was dropped given he's the vice captain and he's been in pretty good form recently. In that case, Mike Hussey could be the unlucky dude since he doesn't bowl as well as Dave does. Would be tough on him though. Warner is the only guy who might be dropped, but I hope not because we need some explosion at the top. I like Watson and Ponting, but it would be good to have Warner as an intimidator.

For bowling it depends on Watson being fit for one thing. If he's not, then Hopes could probably come in at #7, or I could even prefer a team with a long looking tail but 5 bowlers: #7-Mitch, #8-Lee, #9-Hauritz, #10-Bracken, #11-Hilfy. Hilfenhaus has a pretty good T20 record and I'd like to see him ahead of Siddle, maybe even Lee and Bracken too as he'll be swinging it deluxe over there. I'd like to see Hauritz play too but only if we're playing enough bowlers so we can abort his spell if he gets smashed. Potentially he could be our most economical bowler.

But I'm not too fussed who we pick as the only players I don't rate here are Clarke and Hopes. As long as the selectors learn from the last T20 world cup, where the Indians cracked 50 from the 4 Symonds/Clarke overs in the semi and ended up winning by 15 runs. Play a decent bowler there instead and Australia might have won. We don't need to bat down to #8 in a 20 over match :mad: Stuff like selecting James Hopes at #8 with your top 7, and expecting Symonds/Hussey/Clarke bowling 4 tight overs will be fraught with danger.

WORLD CHAMPIONS

PC Battrick Cup Champion S17
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC

Warner
Watson
Ponting
Dussey
Symonds
Hussey
Haddin
Lee
Johnson
Bracken

Oh please for ffs ......... drop your Hilfy :mad Siddle or Clark for me.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
I wouldn't pick clarke either if he's not bowling. if he is then I would. Where to put symonds is the key issue I think, his batting could turn an average total into a good one at the end but it also might be wasting him. How bowling should be handly too.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Oh please for ffs ......... drop your Hilfy :mad Siddle or Clark for me.

It's T20 cricket - Clark isn't in the squad and Siddle has played a total of 5 T20s in his life. 4 of them for Victoria. He might be good, but it's a bit of a gamble considering Hilfy has a good T20 record and the conditions will suit his swingers.

I wouldn't pick clarke either if he's not bowling. if he is then I would. Where to put symonds is the key issue I think, his batting could turn an average total into a good one at the end but it also might be wasting him. How bowling should be handly too.

I hope Clarke doesn't bowl a ball. If we need his bowling, we are shot.

And for Symonds - he has to play. I hope they just bring him in ASAP after 5 overs, doesn't matter if they are 1 down, or 4 down. Just don't make him face the new ball with the better quicks, give him the last 10-15 overs to bat. He's the Australian X-factor and should be given priority to bat where he's most comfortable, so he might float a little bit.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Clarke obviously will be picked I was just picking my 11. I suspect Warner will miss out with Haddin opening with Watson.

Raj_Aryan

Club Cricketer
They have good bowling attack Mitchell Johnson, Bracken, Lee...Ponting will be playing after a long time,that will certainly strengthen their team..

stefan

International Coach
I think their minds are on the ashes and not t20 world cup. I also don't think missing out on the IPL will have helped their form for this tournament.

Biggy

Panel of Selectors

Warner
Watson
Ponting
Dussey
Symonds
Hussey
Haddin
Lee
Johnson
Bracken

I agree, Clarke hasn't given me any reason as to why he should be there, Ponting either. Ponting tends to sit the T20's out as well as any Domestic T20's then the World Cup rolls around and he's straight into it. :rolleyes:

My XI:

David Warner
Shane Watson
David Hussey
Andrew Symonds
Michael Hussey
Brad Haddin
Mitchell Johnson
James Hopes / Peter Siddle (Based on conditions)
Nathan Hauritz
Brett Lee
Nathan Bracken

You could also experiment with the batting order of Symonds and the Hussey brothers.

Also, Stuart Clark > Ben Hilfenhaus.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread