Australia

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
^ Not bad, but there is no way that they drop both Ponting AND Clarke. Even one of them would be a major news story. So while I hope Clarke doesn't play, it's just a pipedream. That means one of your top 5 won't play. Symonds is probably the only guy guaranteed a spot, if Watson can't bowl he might be dropped, otherwise it's Warner or one of the Husseys. Haddin would then be down at #7 and Hopes probably would be gone - although that works for me because his bowling in T20s can be a bit dodgy.

Look out for Hilfenhaus too, I wouldn't be surprised to see him play, definitely ahead of Siddle and possibly ahead of Lee or Bracken.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Showing off their new kit.
104157.jpg

104154.jpg

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Hmmm slimming stripes hey? Warney or Boof Lehmann might have appreciated those. Although I think there was a stage in the late 90s where there was some vertical stripes on the Aussie kits.

As an aside, I really hope that XI we played last night isn't the side we plan to play all tournament. Hopes at #8 is stupid. His batting is wasted and his bowling can't stand up to it, which means we need to rely on other part timers, Symonds and Dave Hussey. But that's bad too. Last night:
Lee+Bracken+Mitch = 12 overs, 7/85 (7.08 RPO)
Hopes+Symonds+D.Hussey+Clarke = 8 overs, 0/91 (11.375 RPO)

I'd bring in Hauritz for Hopes (or Hilfy if Ponting doesn't have the fortitude to play a spinner). If Watson can't bowl, bring Hauritz/Hilfy in for Mike Hussey, moving Hopes up to #7 as the all-rounder.

Also good to see M.J.Clarke play a quick innings, 35 off 18 balls. He's got a lot to prove in this format. Watson and Haddin looked the goods at the top, probably meaning that Warner won't get a look. Watson in particular is really cracking the ball at the moment.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
I don't know if Hopes bowling is enough to warrant dropping another batter. Clarke was more economical than him. We could go with 6 batters and hope Lee, Johnson and Hauritz can cope when required.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Hopes isn't a very good T20 player and considering some of the lower order batsmen on offer, a better bowler is little, if any, trade off.

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
It was a bit of a surprise to see Haddin and Watson batting together at the start. I thought it would be Warner and Watson who would open. But this is just a warm-up match. I am expecting that tomorrow against New Zealand, Warner will bat and the rest of the players, which didn't play, will play tomorrow.

Mike Hussey was batting too low.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Pretty sure they will go with the Haddin and Watson combo as they rate Dussey above Warner. Don't think we can put Hussey any higher as Clarke shouldn't be any lower than 5. Hussey can accelerate alot better from 6 than Clarke. Dussey is probably wasted down at 7 but again no place to put him and he is the best player for the number 7 unless Warner is playing.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
I don't know if Hopes bowling is enough to warrant dropping another batter. Clarke was more economical than him. We could go with 6 batters and hope Lee, Johnson and Hauritz can cope when required.

Hopes isn't a very good T20 player and considering some of the lower order batsmen on offer, a better bowler is little, if any, trade off.

Yeah forgot about that option :D I would have no problem with a lower order of
Johnson
Lee
Hauritz
Bracken
Hilfy

In fact if it got Hopes out of there I'd be quite happy. But if Watson can bowl, I think we're better off with the extra batsman for the security. Trouble is, he didn't bowl last night and if he isn't ready to bowl a week before the tournament starts, he can't be expected to be bowling competently right from game 1.

And Warner won't be needed if Haddin and Watson tee off with fast opening stands. I say we only bring in Warner if Haddin can't keep his form - then dump him down to #7, bring in Warner and kiss one of the Hussey bros goodbye, probably Mike.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Will be interesting seeing what they do with Watson and his bowling. They would obviously want to get some overs into him with a view at the Ashes but also be mindful not to force him to bowl too early.

If we had to dump a Hussey brother I would say it would be Dussey as Hussey is more proven at the international level.

Biggy

Panel of Selectors
They will play both Ponting and Clarke, you can pretty much guarantee it.

Yep, I figured they would, and they opened with Haddin. Dave Hussey at 7!?

They are just picking a team based on reputation, which might just cost us in the end. :rolleyes:

WORLD CHAMPIONS

PC Battrick Cup Champion S17
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
We need to drop Clarke and Punter in T20 for sure. I will only want them in T20 just because of their fielding.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
What were you saying about Ponting and Clarke being crap batters? If getting 40s and 50s equal crap batters then every batter is crap!

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Twice in two days for Clarke!

Looks like Hilfy won't be playing and Siddle did himself no favours so I expect the bowling to be Bracken, Lee, Johnson, Hauritz with Symonds, Clarke, Dussey to share 5th bowling duties.

Users who are viewing this thread