DBC 17 - The Complete Review! Please Answer the Poll!

To what extent do you agree with this review?

• Strongly Agree

Votes: 76 55.9%
  • Somewhat Agree

Votes: 29 21.3%
  • On the Fence

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • Somewhat Disagree

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • Strongly Disagree

Votes: 13 9.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Royce

Nah you don't. The whole point is to use balanced language.

But I'm guessing you won't change because you're getting the results you were clearly angling for with the scale choice. Pointless

The whole point of what exactly???

Do you know his intentions in making this poll? Perhaps it was to subtly influence the outcome with the answers he selected... if so, hes done a good job! Not pointless by a long shot, YOU think its pointless, there's a difference...

Snowy

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
Australia
The point should be to attempt to promote balanced and reasoned discussion, because Big Ant aren't going to listen to another screaming walk of text.

His post contents achieve this (weighs up pros and cons), it's just wrapped in a shitty title and poll

If a poll is intentionally designed to skew results, then it's a bad poll

R

Royce

Because as I said previously, it's a subjective review, not the objective 'truth' and your poll options are heavily skewed towards agreeing with you.

I'll gladly update your poll options to a balanced scale that could yield results that would be at least somewhat valid

No problems with the post itself.

The point should be to attempt to promote balanced and reasoned discussion, because Big Ant aren't going to listen to another screaming walk if text.

His post content achieve this (weighs up pros and cons), it's just wrapped in a shitty title and poll

Please stop trying to pass your "subjective opinion" off as the "objective truth"... this is YOUR opinion, which you are entitled too, but don't suggest that its the only "real truth"...

Go make your own poll if your so annoyed...

Snowy

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
Australia
Please stop trying to pass your "subjective opinion" off as the "objective truth"... this is YOUR opinion, which you are entitled too, but don't suggest that its the only "real truth"...

Go make your own poll if your so annoyed...

I've worked in research for 7+ years. I am literally a glorified poll writer.

As I said, it's a pity that a perfectly reasonable post is combined with a shitty poll and inflammatory title.

Alberts

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
I request the members of the planet cricket community to cast their vote in response to the review that I have written above. This would reflect the opinion of the majority on the game and may move Bigant to providing a comprehensive solution.

To be honest, a lot of what you've written is grossly hyperbolic. There are some good points mixed in with gems like:

Graphics

The graphics are similar to an early PS3 game and appears to run at an acceptable frame rate. It appears that there is a slight improvement in graphics (especially the grass) as opposed to DBC 14, but definitely not one would expect for a game released almost 3 years after its predecessor. Graphics in my opinion is definitely not a deal breaker and can be palated if core game play issues were to be fixed.

This kind of comment is the hallmark of poor review work. It looks nothing like an early PS3 game, the game in fact has very good lighting and movement at times. It lacks polish at point, but much like many reviewers who start with a position of "I don't like it, why don't I like it", you've just launched in with any hyperbole you could think of. You see the same in the FIFA/PES mud slinging reviews which essentially boil down to "it looks like a PS2" game from both sides, when both are some of the best looking sports games out there.

Overall I agree with a great many of your points, but I think you're going in a bit hard on most of them, and not letting the positive elements of the new game have much air time. How the poll is worded, or the bizarrely worded title, and you've turned what could be a great discussion point into something that is essentially flamewar bait.

R

Royce

To be honest, a lot of what you've written is grossly hyperbolic. There are some good points mixed in with gems like:

This kind of comment is the hallmark of poor review work. It looks nothing like an early PS3 game, the game in fact has very good lighting and movement at times. It lacks polish at point, but much like many reviewers who start with a position of "I don't like it, why don't I like it", you've just launched in with any hyperbole you could think of. You see the same in the FIFA/PES mud slinging reviews which essentially boil down to "it looks like a PS2" game from both sides, when both are some of the best looking sports games out there.

Overall I agree with a great many of your points, but I think you're going in a bit hard on most of them, and not letting the positive elements of the new game have much air time. How the poll is worded, or the bizarrely worded title, and you've turned what could be a great discussion point into something that is essentially flamewar bait.

Many of your statements here are grossly hyperbolic!

You do realize none of us are "professional reviewers" right? We don't have to follow any structure, mention any specific things, we can call it as we see it! And right now, the negatives massively outweigh the positives...

You may have read my review, which was wholly and unashamedly negative! Would you really have been happy with it had it contained:

- Game crashed often, but there was this one time when it didn't, WHICH WAS SO FANTASTIC I LOVE THIS GAME!
- Sure I cant hit a ball into a good 50% (ish) of the field, BUT I CAN HIT IN THE OTHER 50% WOOHOOOOO GREAT GAME!!!
- While the fielding might be absolutely atrocious, ALL THE FIELDERS HAVE ARMS AND LEGS WOOHOO GREAT GAME, BIGANT ARE THE BEST WOOHOO POSITIVITY YAAAAY!!!

The negatives outweigh the positives... So that's what our reviews are going to focus on... deal with it!!

Alberts

International Coach
Many of your statements here are grossly hyperbolic!

You do realize none of us are "professional reviewers" right? We don't have to follow any structure, mention any specific things, we can call it as we see it! And right now, the negatives massively outweigh the positives...

You may have read my review, which was wholly and unashamedly negative! Would you really have been happy with it had it contained:

- Game crashed often, but there was this one time when it didn't, WHICH WAS SO FANTASTIC I LOVE THIS GAME!
- Sure I cant hit a ball into a good 50% (ish) of the field, BUT I CAN HIT IN THE OTHER 50% WOOHOOOOO GREAT GAME!!!
- While the fielding might be absolutely atrocious, ALL THE FIELDERS HAVE ARMS AND LEGS WOOHOO GREAT GAME, BIGANT ARE THE BEST WOOHOO POSITIVITY YAAAAY!!!

The negatives outweigh the positives... So that's what our reviews are going to focus on... deal with it!!

Just because someone isn't a professional doesn't mean that they shouldn't try and make their work as professional as possible. The reason professionals do things certain ways is to make their work as effective as possible, unless the aim isn't to be effective, then it would make sense to at least attempt to keep those professional elements.

Have we really decided that the fielding is terrible now? I actually quite like it, unlike last year where we had all the superfielders problems players now actually act like people. Maybe a lot of people who've been playing with DBC 14 for many years just need time to adjust on that one.

There are a few shots that seem either missing or hard to pull off, but I'm sure BigAnt will work on that. Overall I'm still having a lot of fun with batting, actually more than I did in DBC 14. That said, I've always enjoyed the bowling side more, and the bowling is a joy this year.

Everyone enjoys games a different way, and whilst I can see the negatives that some people have complained about, I don't agree with all of them, and I myself am actually having more fun with the new game than I was with the old. They have tried some interesting things, but like with DBC 14 it has some teething issues. If I compared this game to DBC 14 on it's PS3 release, I'd say that this game is better. Comparing it to the final product with fan patches, DBC 14 had some really good gameplay elements, but I still prefer a lot of what I'm seeing so far.

The fixes will come, and not everyone is going to agree with your position of negatives outweighing the positives. I could understand that you feel that way, but you equally need to understand that I disagree.

Have a nice day.

vaalvi

School Cricketer
varunschuey Thx for investing your time and effort in writing such a detailed review. I completely agree with the issues described. I hope Bigant will do some thing to fix the described issues soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Royce

Just because someone isn't a professional doesn't mean that they shouldn't try and make their work as professional as possible. The reason professionals do things certain ways is to make their work as effective as possible, unless the aim isn't to be effective, then it would make sense to at least attempt to keep those professional elements.

Have we really decided that the fielding is terrible now? I actually quite like it, unlike last year where we had all the superfielders problems players now actually act like people. Maybe a lot of people who've been playing with DBC 14 for many years just need time to adjust on that one.

There are a few shots that seem either missing or hard to pull off, but I'm sure BigAnt will work on that. Overall I'm still having a lot of fun with batting, actually more than I did in DBC 14. That said, I've always enjoyed the bowling side more, and the bowling is a joy this year.

Everyone enjoys games a different way, and whilst I can see the negatives that some people have complained about, I don't agree with all of them, and I myself am actually having more fun with the new game than I was with the old. They have tried some interesting things, but like with DBC 14 it has some teething issues. If I compared this game to DBC 14 on it's PS3 release, I'd say that this game is better. Comparing it to the final product with fan patches, DBC 14 had some really good gameplay elements, but I still prefer a lot of what I'm seeing so far.

The fixes will come, and not everyone is going to agree with your position of negatives outweighing the positives. I could understand that you feel that way, but you equally need to understand that I disagree.

Have a nice day.

Professionals do things professionally because of accountability, not effectiveness...

Yes the fielding is awful, I can hit the ball straight to a fielder inside the circle and still get a single with no chance of a runout - this is terrible
Yes the fielding is awful, I literally ran 6 runs off 1 ball last night - this is terrible
Yes the fielding is awful, the AI drops 9/10 catches everytime I play - this is terrible
Yes the fielding is awful, when performing a cut shot against a spin bowler, the wicket keeper starts diving as soon as you move the sticks to hit the ball (ie: when the ball is still 1m away from the batsmen having not yet been hit) and completes the superman/time travel catch of the century - this is terrible

If you ignore the fact that this game is nothing at all like real sport it purports to be based on, then yes, its damned fantastic and we should all be so lucky to have it...

varunschuey

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4

Have a nice day.
Mr.Albert...please refer me to any article that you have authored so poor writers such as myself can be enlightened. I am not a professional reviewer but..............:)

Alberts

International Coach
Professionals do things professionally because of accountability, not effectiveness...

I would respectfully disagree on that one. An effective argument is one that both sides can at least engage with at some level. Starting off with inflammatory remarks makes it a "preaching to the choir" argument immediately, making it hard, even impossible, to gain traction with readers of opposing opinions.

Yes the fielding is awful, I can hit the ball straight to a fielder inside the circle and still get a single with no chance of a runout - this is terrible
Yes the fielding is awful, I literally ran 6 runs off 1 ball last night - this is terrible
Yes the fielding is awful, the AI drops 9/10 catches everytime I play - this is terrible
Yes the fielding is awful, when performing a cut shot against a spin bowler, the wicket keeper starts diving as soon as you move the sticks to hit the ball (ie: when the ball is still 1m away from the batsmen having not yet been hit) and completes the superman/time travel catch of the century - this is terrible

If you ignore the fact that this game is nothing at all like real sport it purports to be based on, then yes, its damned fantastic and we should all be so lucky to have it...

Their speed of returning the ball can be a bit annoying at times. I've been run out taking a quick single hitting it to a fielder before though. That's more a minor issue of tightening up some elements though, rather than a massive problem. The superfielders in DBC 14 caused far more issues than that.

I would love to see a video of you running six. Would illustrate your point well too.

I've only been dropped by the AI once in 3 Test matches. Odd that we're having opposing experiences.

So now you're saying that the keepers are too good. Do you have a video of that experience, because that's the kind of thing where evidence of it happening could be very useful for debugging purposes.

Again, we have quite different opinions of the game, but I don't doubt that through civil discussions of its strengths and weaknesses any rough points could be fixed for a better gaming experience for all.

Alberts

International Coach
Mr.Albert...please refer me to any article that you have authored so poor writers such as myself can be enlightened. I am not a professional reviewer but..............:)

I prefer to keep my anonimity online, but my articles are of a very different genre to this. I'd suggest taking Snowy's advice though. The key is not getting too hyperbolic with points, and carefully wording title and polls. If you want I can dig up some articles on attitude scale design (for better poll design in the future), while just having "My review of DBC 17" would have been sufficient for the title.

On the graphics point I raised, saying it as "something seems off with how the graphics look" works better than "looks like a [insert console from the past] game".

Again, you overall raised some good points, but the key is to keep things as balanced as possible. In many ways you achieved that, but there was an overall undercurrent throughout. Even a better worded title and poll alone would have greatly improved that though.

varunschuey

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
The point should be to attempt to promote balanced and reasoned discussion, because Big Ant aren't going to listen to another screaming walk of text.

His post contents achieve this (weighs up pros and cons), it's just wrapped in a shitty title and poll

If only you could be as critical and open to the issues that exist in the game....you would not be trying to undermine and find faults in the thread title or poll options where none exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread