dbc17 hacks: fearsome tweak v1.51

Spoobir

Thread of the Month March 2018
it will discard shots like sweep against bouncer, or advance block against fast bowling. A human player of course can play these shots.
In the next update i will add the option to choose what run rate the AI must try to get. This could actually solve the problem of low scoring (it worked on dbc14).

However until there is a proper AI, that can do a prediction of the events in a game, i think this mod will use only the 30% of the potential of the game.
If it relies only on algorithms and random chance, probably there will be always something that doesnt work, and you have to "explain" a lot of things
to it (why he must not block the last ball of a ODI). A proper AI instead will "predict the events", and will understand that by itself (like chess AI).
I remember someone posted on the forum an AI program for cricket, but cant find it.

Just finished the third session of the match.

Brilliant mate, sounds like you've made some real breakthroughs in discovering what controls what. Here's hoping it all stays pretty much the same in Ashes Cricket so you don't have to go back to square one.

Can't wait to have a go with the run-rate modifier.

:cheers

francobaldo1

Fearsome tweak legend...
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Brilliant mate, sounds like you've made some real breakthroughs in discovering what controls what. Here's hoping it all stays pretty much the same in Ashes Cricket so you don't have to go back to square one.

Can't wait to have a go with the run-rate modifier.

:cheers

hope Ashes it's not too different. In the mod for dbc14, when you set the run rate modifier in "Chris Gayle" mode, the AI could do some real damage, usually without losing the wicket.

Here is the third part of the Langeveldt Cup, wasnt bad:

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Do you use the stroke mod as well as your normal mod or is it integrated? Just wondering as you managed to get some fantastic bowleds in DBC

francobaldo1

Fearsome tweak legend...
@Langeveldt no, do you think i should use it? might be better. However now, trying to change the run rate probably will also get better dismissals.

@Spoobir you can already change the run rate with the dbc17 lua console:

--first save the original function
oldfunction=native.RunRateCalculator.getDesiredRunsForThisOver
--now create your custom function, in this case it will set the run rate to 36.
--Be ready for punishment.

function native.RunRateCalculator.getDesiredRunsForThisOver()
return 36
end

if you want to restore the original game function, use this:
native.RunRateCalculator.getDesiredRunsForThisOver=oldfunction

i tried for 1 over, and almost got a bowled (with no hack), and a great edge from a backfoot drive at 4th slip (landed short).
Wished i had remembered this earlier.

Last edited:

Spoobir

Another t20 then using the lua code to change the run-rate target. Bowling as both teams. This time all I did in the shot selection was remove the blocks and back-foot aggressive drives (which look horrible and rarely result in anything but wickets imo).

Obviously a bit higher scoring than the one I played a couple of days ago. I don't think I've ever had a batsman score a century against me in an unsimulated match of any type so pretty funny the first time it happens is in a t20.

8432f25c83.png

The way I used the run-rate tool for India was starting it at about 8 and then increasing it throughout the innings. Obviously the fact they went into the last 5 overs (when the AI usually gets more aggressive on its own) with two very set batsmen was a big advantage for them. I think by the end of the Indian innings I had the target run-rate at about 22 per over and they were hitting plenty of boundaries.

For the Australians I decided to leave it the same (22/over) and see if they would attempt to get off to a flyer and obviously they lost some early wickets. I also think India had the big advantage with playing two spinners as the AI seemed much more reluctant to attack them compared to pacers, even with the run-rate target set high. Overall I would say you need to set the run-rate target quite a bit higher than what you actually want the AI to score at. For example setting it to 36 they still seemed happy to knock singles yet when I set it to 50+ they were actually trying to smash every ball. I did try setting it to 100 for the last couple of balls to see what would happen and Wade hit both for 6.

Quite cool was I also saw the AI playing the unorthodox shots which I have never seen before in any format. Unfortunately the one dilscoop and one of the reverse-sweeps that was played resulted in wickets. But one reverse sweep by Maxwell was also hit for six.

Rahane wagon wheel:

8008e21a36.png

francobaldo1

Fearsome tweak legend...
Another t20 then using the lua code to change the run-rate target. Bowling as both teams. This time all I did in the shot selection was remove the blocks and back-foot aggressive drives (which look horrible and rarely result in anything but wickets imo).

Obviously a bit higher scoring than the one I played a couple of days ago. I don't think I've ever had a batsman score a century against me in an unsimulated match of any type so pretty funny the first time it happens is in a t20.

8432f25c83.png

The way I used the run-rate tool for India was starting it at about 8 and then increasing it throughout the innings. Obviously the fact they went into the last 5 overs (when the AI usually gets more aggressive on its own) with two very set batsmen was a big advantage for them. I think by the end of the Indian innings I had the target run-rate at about 22 per over and they were hitting plenty of boundaries.

For the Australians I decided to leave it the same (22/over) and see if they would attempt to get off to a flyer and obviously they lost some early wickets. I also think India had the big advantage with playing two spinners as the AI seemed much more reluctant to attack them compared to pacers, even with the run-rate target set high. Overall I would say you need to set the run-rate target quite a bit higher than what you actually want the AI to score at. For example setting it to 36 they still seemed happy to knock singles yet when I set it to 50+ they were actually trying to smash every ball. I did try setting it to 100 for the last couple of balls to see what would happen and Wade hit both for 6.

Quite cool was I also saw the AI playing the unorthodox shots which I have never seen before in any format. Unfortunately the one dilscoop and one of the reverse-sweeps that was played resulted in wickets. But one reverse sweep by Maxwell was also hit for six.

Rahane wagon wheel:

8008e21a36.png

that's great, probably the AI can hit 300 with more overs. One thing i forgot is that i didnt add the advance shots to the mod (except the block),
and the AI likes to use them against spin. Completely forgot.
The best thing probably is to change the run rate as much as possible, according to the situation. For example after you set the run rate to 10,
the AI hits a boundary with the second ball, then you set it to 1 or 2 to make it more conservative. It would increase the realism.

francobaldo1

Fearsome tweak legend...
use also this:

function native.RunRateCalculator.getDesiredRunRateForThisBall()
return 6
end

especially in tests, it seems more useful than getDesiredRunsForThisOver (use them both however).
I am testing it in Scotland - Zimbabwe, and ZIM batsmen are doing great shots and they look untroubled. If i find other commands for the Lua Console i will post here.

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
I think you misunderstood me. I was wondering if you could get bowleds with the stroke mod only. So you run both mods at the same time, fearsome tweak and stroke mod, to get optimum results, right?

Anyway I have a gaming laptop now. Asus, with a GTX1050, so I hope it will run DBC17. The b**** is back.

Time to get testing. I might stream if African internet and laptop can handle it

Last edited:

francobaldo1

Fearsome tweak legend...
I think you misunderstood me. I was wondering if you could get bowleds with the stroke mod only. So you run both mods at the same time, fearsome tweak and stroke mod, to get optimum results, right?

Anyway I have a gaming laptop now. Asus, with a GTX1050, so I hope it will run DBC17. The b**** is back.

Time to get testing. I might stream if African internet and laptop can handle it

nice mate. Use fearsome tweak 1.23 and shot mod 0.06 if you have crash problems. They dont like each others (will try to solve this problem, didnt have time to test)

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
Unfortunately DBC is going to take most of the evening to download. A shame, as I am itching to go. But there we are.

Spoobir

You should be golden with that card mate.

Plotinus

Associate Captain
I'm travelling at the moment so away from a PC that can handle DBC17...but really interested in this thread and the results that are being produced here. I haven't tried using the shot selection mod but it looks good for producing more realistic AI behaviour. It would be nice to add some automation so that sliders (or more particularly the associated vairables) are adjusted based on match type, match context (difficult to determine, I suspect) and batter's confidence and attitude (aggressive, brute, etc.) with a bit of randomness thrown in to avoid the AI being too formulaic and predictable...but I doubt this is so easy to implement. Anyway, fascinating thread so far.

@francobaldo1 was this the AI thing you were looking for?: Resonant AI: Designing an AI for Cricket

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
I'm travelling at the moment so away from a PC that can handle DBC17...but really interested in this thread and the results that are being produced here. I haven't tried using the shot selection mod but it looks good for producing more realistic AI behaviour. It would be nice to add some automation so that sliders (or more particularly the associated vairables) are adjusted based on match type, match context (difficult to determine, I suspect) and batter's confidence and attitude (aggressive, brute, etc.) with a bit of randomness thrown in to avoid the AI being too formulaic and predictable...but I doubt this is so easy to implement. Anyway, fascinating thread so far.

@francobaldo1 was this the AI thing you were looking for?: Resonant AI: Designing an AI for Cricket

I feel the game could have done this already. Some predefined settings, say ten "mentalities" (go over the top, slog, bat for the draw, focus leg side, innovate, go for singles) would be fantastic. I feel Franco has blown things wide open here, and I'm not too fussed about the Ashes release if this is where we are at with '17.

Spoobir

I feel the game could have done this already. Some predefined settings, say ten "mentalities" (go over the top, slog, bat for the draw, focus leg side, innovate, go for singles) would be fantastic. I feel Franco has blown things wide open here, and I'm not too fussed about the Ashes release if this is where we are at with '17.

Ashes game should be interesting. They packed so many features into DBC '17 (all the different creation tools/updated career mode etc.) it feels like the core gameplay maybe got neglected a little. Now hopefully with that stuff already done they can really focus on making the AI smarter/better.

If Ashes 17 is just DBC '17 with bug-fixes, licenses and new animations then I'll probably still enjoy it (I enjoy DBC '17 a lot after all) but I will be pretty disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread