dbc17 hacks: fearsome tweak v1.51

Plotinus

Associate Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
I feel the game could have done this already. Some predefined settings, say ten "mentalities" (go over the top, slog, bat for the draw, focus leg side, innovate, go for singles) would be fantastic. I feel Franco has blown things wide open here, and I'm not too fussed about the Ashes release if this is where we are at with '17.
I agree with this. I really enjoy DBC17 but can see how, for whatever reason, it just missed an opportunity to really excel in its ability to emulate real situational awareness of a cricket match. @francobaldo1 continues to show what is actually possible, albeit with a lot of hard work, and, as I said on the Ashes thread, it would be nice if that game has Franco's genius applied at source rather than modded in afterwards (especially as only the PC community benefits from this). Most of my hours in DBC14 and DBC17 have been played with the associated hack running in the background. The hacks have made a big difference to the long term appeal of both titles. However, I also recognise the massive strides that Big Ant have made...so many great innovations in the way a cricket game is implemented. I'm optimistic that Ashes will continue the trend of innovation and improvement...but just hope that some of the things that have fallen to Franco to fix, and we've all enjoyed, are built into the product.

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I agree with this. I really enjoy DBC17 but can see how, for whatever reason, it just missed an opportunity to really excel in its ability to emulate real situational awareness of a cricket match. @francobaldo1 continues to show what is actually possible, albeit with a lot of hard work, and, as I said on the Ashes thread, it would be nice if that game has Franco's genius applied at source rather than modded in afterwards (especially as only the PC community benefits from this). Most of my hours in DBC14 and DBC17 have been played with the associated hack running in the background. The hacks have made a big difference to the long term appeal of both titles. However, I also recognise the massive strides that Big Ant have made...so many great innovations in the way a cricket game is implemented. I'm optimistic that Ashes will continue the trend of innovation and improvement...but just hope that some of the things that have fallen to Franco to fix, and we've all enjoyed, are built into the product.

I've just spent 15,000 Rand on a gaming laptop because of Franco's innovation. Cannot bear to see all this happening and not be a part of it.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
i genuinely regret that i don't have a top-spec PC that lets me really properly play DBC17 and run franco's hack. @francobaldo1 absolutely saved DBC14 for me - i had stopped playing about a month before he popped up with it on the forum...

i keep up to date with this thread and it sounds like he has taken it another level.

my hope for dbc17 was always that something like this hack wouldn't be necessary, not from disrespect to franco - the guy's a genius! - but just that i would love something out the box that NAILS this wonderful sport.

i still hope Ashes nails it (not least cuz at least for a while i'd be playing it on PS4 semi-exclusively). but even if it does i'm still intrigued to see the extra levels franco could squeeze out of it!

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
i genuinely regret that i don't have a top-spec PC that lets me really properly play DBC17 and run franco's hack. @francobaldo1 absolutely saved DBC14 for me - i had stopped playing about a month before he popped up with it on the forum...

i keep up to date with this thread and it sounds like he has taken it another level.

my hope for dbc17 was always that something like this hack wouldn't be necessary, not from disrespect to franco - the guy's a genius! - but just that i would love something out the box that NAILS this wonderful sport.

i still hope Ashes nails it (not least cuz at least for a while i'd be playing it on PS4 semi-exclusively). but even if it does i'm still intrigued to see the extra levels franco could squeeze out of it!

Yeah I agree. If you took one look at the Academy you would think there was a seriously complex AI available out of the box, and it is a pity there isn't. I am glad Big Ant don't see Franco's work as a bad thing.

francobaldo1

Fearsome tweak legend...
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I'm travelling at the moment so away from a PC that can handle DBC17...but really interested in this thread and the results that are being produced here. I haven't tried using the shot selection mod but it looks good for producing more realistic AI behaviour. It would be nice to add some automation so that sliders (or more particularly the associated vairables) are adjusted based on match type, match context (difficult to determine, I suspect) and batter's confidence and attitude (aggressive, brute, etc.) with a bit of randomness thrown in to avoid the AI being too formulaic and predictable...but I doubt this is so easy to implement. Anyway, fascinating thread so far.

@francobaldo1 was this the AI thing you were looking for?: Resonant AI: Designing an AI for Cricket

yes, thanks, might be useful. A proper AI is certainly what i'm tryng to do. I think is already possible, last year would have been too complicated, but
i think i found fast and reliable ways to implement it.

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
Well I took the hack and stroke tweak for a spin and I am very impressed. Thinking of simming an Ashes series but I am just playing a match to test.

AI v AI (pro)

Australia 252 all out (76.1)
Khawaja 85
Hanscomb 45
Anderson 4-56
Broad 4-75

Got two bowled and an LBW. The bowleds were misjudging the line and sort of around the legs. The LBW was bizarre, just ducking out of the way of a straight one a la Chris Read v Chris Cairns in 1999. Just tweaking around with the sliders to see just how much of an effect it all has, but I felt like I was able to rein the batsmen in or tell them to go for it as required.

francobaldo1

Fearsome tweak legend...
Well I took the hack and stroke tweak for a spin and I am very impressed. Thinking of simming an Ashes series but I am just playing a match to test.

AI v AI (pro)

Australia 252 all out (76.1)
Khawaja 85
Hanscomb 45
Anderson 4-56
Broad 4-75

Got two bowled and an LBW. The bowleds were misjudging the line and sort of around the legs. The LBW was bizarre, just ducking out of the way of a straight one a la Chris Read v Chris Cairns in 1999. Just tweaking around with the sliders to see just how much of an effect it all has, but I felt like I was able to rein the batsmen in or tell them to go for it as required.

nice, if you get the Lua Console you can change the run rate that the batsmen chase. Works very well. This afternoon i will add the option to the mod, so you can select a different RR for the two batsmen.
The commands are in the previous pages.

francobaldo1

Fearsome tweak legend...
Wow, that is actually crazy cool! :eek:

So you can have one batsman scoring at 80 S/R and one at 40? This could lead to some super realistic scorecards.

it's just changing getDesiredRunsForThisOver and getDesiredRunsForThisBall for every batsmen, you can do that already
with the console (the mod will do it automatically). Should help a lot to customize the batsman.

francobaldo1

Fearsome tweak legend...
@Spoobir just noticed an error, use this:

function native.RunRateCalculator.getDesiredRunRateForThisBall()

return 6

end

i was typing instead getDesiredRunsForThisBall, so probably you didnt see any difference in the gameplay. Sorry about that.
Will probably need some hours to complete the update.

Spoobir

Thread of the Month March 2018
@Spoobir just noticed an error, use this:

return 6

end

i was typing instead getDesiredRunsForThisBall, so probably you didnt see any difference in the gameplay. Sorry about that.
Will probably need some hours to complete the update.

I didn't actually try that one yet, I am away from home until Sunday evening so no time to test.

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
Will the target runs per over be included into the mod any time soon? (Definitely don't mean to sound impatient, I am just illiterate with the lua commands so won't bother to learn how to do this if we are getting something soon anyway)

francobaldo1

Fearsome tweak legend...
Will the target runs per over be included into the mod any time soon? (Definitely don't mean to sound impatient, I am just illiterate with the lua commands so won't bother to learn how to do this if we are getting something soon anyway)

i'm finishing it. The lua command just needs this:
download the Lua Console for dbc17. Press START. Copy paste this code and press Execute:

this set the over run rate to 36

function native.RunRateCalculator.getDesiredRunsForThisOver()
return 36
end

this set the ball run rate to 6

return 6
end

Last edited:

francobaldo1

Fearsome tweak legend...
was without internet yesterday, but i managed to complete the update.

version v.013 (link in the first post)

-choose a different run rate for both batsmen

USAGE: Press "use custom run rate". Select a batsman with the buttons "batsman 1" or "batsman 2". Choose a run rate (over/ball) and press "set run rate". Do the same for the
other batsman.

BUGS:
- you must activate the shot selection for the batsmen ("set for this batsman") before using the run rate tool.
- you can load the mod only once (pressing start). If you need to reload, you must probably relaunch the game too.
- there is a chance that the mod crash. It might be related also to windows 10.
- there is a chance that the mod will not work with the main Fearsome Tweak program. I will need some days
before i can merge the two programs. It's working for me with FT 1.23, i first load the the "shot tool" and then FT.
- you cant use decimal values for the run rate, like 3.50, or 1.20. The AI instead uses decimal values most of the time. Will fix this soon.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread