Don Bradman Cricket 17 General Discussion

Gunslinger

Club Cricketer
I think the bowling system is better this year. I'm enjoying it a lot more than I did in DBC 14, anyway... Be nice to have motion captured bowler animations for DBC 20 though.

Last edited:

fanirama

Associate Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Bowling is definitely a lot better in this game. I enjoy spin bowling - it has a lot of the nuances with the ball type, flight/bounce, spin, direction + Right Trigger for that extra effort ball. There's a lot to input but the system is very intuitive and well laid out.
Even pace and medium pace bowling is good. One complaint though is that it is super easy to bowl really wide wides.
And no-balls are easier here but you can keep your eye on the meter and time it right.

Another thing is that bouncers don't really bounce as much as I thought and different bowlers don't showcase their strengths/weaknesses. Everyone is just carbon copy clone of each other. It doesn't even matter what peoples names are because animations are all the same and all effects are the same. The skins are the variations on just one bowling type with one bowler. That's a big drawback actually.... Shame. But maybe next game they get enough money to improve this and get rid of the cookie cutter aspects.
More animations, genuine diffs between bowlers and adding more element of randomness and "trueness" feel of it all. Right now it is all cookie cutter identical, very robotic.

Better than DBC 14 but still lots of ways to go

inertSpark

Associate Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Bowling is definitely a lot better in this game. I enjoy spin bowling - it has a lot of the nuances with the ball type, flight/bounce, spin, direction + Right Trigger for that extra effort ball. There's a lot to input but the system is very intuitive and well laid out.
Even pace and medium pace bowling is good. One complaint though is that it is super easy to bowl really wide wides.
And no-balls are easier here but you can keep your eye on the meter and time it right.

Another thing is that bouncers don't really bounce as much as I thought and different bowlers don't showcase their strengths/weaknesses. Everyone is just carbon copy clone of each other. It doesn't even matter what peoples names are because animations are all the same and all effects are the same. The skins are the variations on just one bowling type with one bowler. That's a big drawback actually.... Shame. But maybe next game they get enough money to improve this and get rid of the cookie cutter aspects.
More animations, genuine diffs between bowlers and adding more element of randomness and "trueness" feel of it all. Right now it is all cookie cutter identical, very robotic.

Better than DBC 14 but still lots of ways to go

I actually turn all the meters off. Bowl about 10 minutes in the nets and you get used to it. Doing so actually lets you focus more on what you want to do. You're not watching the meters, and as a result you focus more on the action.

D

Dutch

Come on now, i never said i was struggling with them... i merely said they were worse than dbc 14 - ie: no more dynamic length pace bowling from the timing of the release...
As I understood they had to take this approach as it is connected to the window in which you now can see what length is being bowled whilst batting. Yes there is a connection. The wish was for less premeditating: a compromise is that length needs to be set at a much earlier timeframe. They are looking into possibility as how this could possibly be looked at.

Razpor

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
I think the bowling system is better this year. I'm enjoying it a lot more than I did in DBC 14, anyway... Be nice to have motion captured bowler animations for DBC 20 though.
yeah bowling animations are just not upto it,more choices would be great

Plotinus

Associate Captain
I have only really bowled spin in career mode so far and am really enjoying it. I agree with @fanirama the ability to adjust flight, bounce and speed is really good and feels much more under your control than DBC14. I also like the fact that you only have to rotate the LS once at any point in the delivery. That way you can set the rate of spin and then focus on line and length. With DBC14 you had to do everything at once.

The only things that I would like to see adjusted to spin bowling are more control over line (it is almost impossible to bowl wide...I'd like to be able to have a greater range of line more easily accessible) and the variation in length. It makes sense now that @Dutch has explained the reasoning behind this (and the ability to get early indication of length is possibly my favourite addition to batting in DBC17...so I don't want that to go away) but it would be good to get more variation. Given that the precise trajectory of the ball is only calculated at release I wonder whether the exact length could be modified based off the AI's accuracy or, when you're bowling, a combination of accuracy with how close to perfect you got on the release. So a short ball will still show as red to the batsman and would pitch somewhere in the red zone on the pitch but how consistently it hit the exact length would be down to degree of accuracy. Anyway, I'm sure Big Ant know more about this than I possibly could...good to hear that they are considering it.

First.Last

School Cricketer
As I understood they had to take this approach as it is connected to the window in which you now can see what length is being bowled whilst batting. Yes there is a connection. The wish was for less premeditating: a compromise is that length needs to be set at a much earlier timeframe. They are looking into possibility as how this could possibly be looked at.

See thats like the worst logic ever tho!! Why did they make the batting/batting timing so difficult in the first place that it "needed" immersion killing color codings for each delivery? Could they not have just made the timing window/footwork etc much longer/easier and then we wouldnt need the ball markers??

I personally play with the batting timing at 25, as ive tested the timing on the hard difficulty in practice mode, and to get shots coming off the bat properly, you have until the ball is about 1 foot out the bowler/machines hand/thing before you need to have moved the sticks or the shot is mistimed... which is not enough time imho! (i realise you may all suggest i git gud, but for me, its just doesnt seem like a reasonable amount of time to gauge line and length... and it must be similar for many of you out there, as you play with the 'ball marker thingies')

So to me, the situation is as follows:

1) Bigant made batting too hard
2) They then introduced the 'ball marker' (or whatever its called) system to compensate for this, instead of making it more doable without the markers
3) This made the batting difficulty options a joke, as people who arent able to play on the hard ish difficulties without the markers now can, but only if they use the markers
4) This led to a large number of players playing with the markers, who then wanted to be able to say "i play on the hardest mode"
5) This in turn led to the developers to implement the new ball marker system to make it even easier when using these markers
6) The existing dynamic bowling system was changed for the worse to accommodate this, as has the batting without markers

Why oh why could they not have just made the batting easier to do instead of all this putting a color coded marker on the ball telling you exactly where its going to go??? I may be in the minority here, but i like actually playing by reading the line and length of the ball by looking at it, not a silly color coding system...

I mean really, youve got people on the forums giving batting advice like "drive blue ones, block green ones, etc"... are you folks really playing a cricket game or a color matching game???

D

Dutch

See thats like the worst logic ever tho!! Why did they make the batting/batting timing so difficult in the first place that it "needed" immersion killing color codings for each delivery? Could they not have just made the timing window/footwork etc much longer/easier and then we wouldnt need the ball markers??

I personally play with the batting timing at 25, as ive tested the timing on the hard difficulty in practice mode, and to get shots coming off the bat properly, you have until the ball is about 1 foot out the bowler/machines hand/thing before you need to have moved the sticks or the shot is mistimed... which is not enough time imho! (i realise you may all suggest i git gud, but for me, its just doesnt seem like a reasonable amount of time to gauge line and length... and it must be similar for many of you out there, as you play with the 'ball marker thingies')

2) They then introduced the 'ball marker' (or whatever its called) system to compensate for this, instead of making it more doable without the markers
3) This made the batting difficulty options a joke, as people who arent able to play on the hard ish difficulties without the markers now can, but only if they use the markers
4) This led to a large number of players playing with the markers, who then wanted to be able to say "i play on the hardest mode"
5) This in turn led to the developers to implement the new ball marker system to make it even easier when using these markers
6) The existing dynamic bowling system was changed for the worse to accommodate this, as has the batting without markers

Why oh why could they not have just made the batting easier to do instead of all this putting a color coded marker on the ball telling you exactly where its going to go??? I may be in the minority here, but i like actually playing by reading the line and length of the ball by looking at it, not a silly color coding system...

I mean really, youve got people on the forums giving batting advice like "drive blue ones, block green ones, etc"... are you folks really playing a cricket game or a color matching game???
The colour coding is there for people who need it and and use it to great effect. Once you have got the hang of batting you can switch the colour codes off.....it accommodates for the vast spectrum of players: you play that way, many dont....BA is trying to accommodate for everyone's need by making the game modifiable...in doing so they are giving themselves massive headaches as the chances of bugs and things need fixing manifest themselves on many different machines and configurations....

NursingHomeFire

School Cricketer
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I was talking to someone the other day and they said the bowling mechanics were the dogs under carriage... Such extreme opinion.

kind of agree with him
its feels so dumb down and laboring

trying to play a cut shot and games goes "HELL no you will sweep the fast bowler" well freakin done

BD14 was better,

cricket_online

ICC Board Member

Well there has to be a way for the game to convey line & length information to the user. In real world you can figure out line & length but in a 2D video game it's not possible to do so. One way game developers used to convey the information was via pitch markers and Big Ant went with the approach of providing that information around the ball (ball marker). But the information has to be provided one way or another else how are you going to get the information to bat? I don't have the skills to determine line & length of a delivery in a 2D video game without these aids. If you can do so all power to you but majority of gamers would need the information. You can take away makers but will need to find another way to convey the same information in a different way.

chaman82

County Cricketer
With the modifiers allowing shot timing modification (and others) it's easier to bat and chek line and length now without using any type of HUD.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
With the modifiers allowing shot timing modification (and others) it's easier to bat and chek line and length now without using any type of HUD.

No matter what the modifiers you still need to find a way to determine line, length and speed of the delivery. Without the ball marker I can't. I tried and i failed miserably. Addition of the "Ball Marker Display Time" and ability to view the ball marker early is the biggest improvement in DBC 17 and if it comes at the cost of having slightly less control over the length while bowling, I would take it.

In fact I still struggle to determine the speed of the ball, especially against spinners, and can't figure out when the delivery is slow (62-65 kph) or fast (90-92 kph). In DBC 14 you could determine it based on the size of the ball marker around the ball - bigger the marker slower the delivery - and I wish it makes its way in DBC 17.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread