England in Australia

manee

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Monty didnt get millions of fans by being a joke you know (take that in one of two ways)

But he is a great bowler who can produce the unplayable ball...you do not need to turn it a mile to be a great bowler, he varies his pace well and only needs to turn it half the width of the bat to beat it (from the middle to the edge).

The aussies said that they would decimate Hoggard last year but didnt, the era of the Aussies is losing it now, but one thing is for sure, its not over.

langerrox

International Coach
manee said:
Monty didnt get millions of fans by being a joke you know (take that in one of two ways)

But he is a great bowler who can produce the unplayable ball...you do not need to turn it a mile to be a great bowler, he varies his pace well and only needs to turn it half the width of the bat to beat it (from the middle to the edge).

The aussies said that they would decimate Hoggard last year but didnt, the era of the Aussies is losing it now, but one thing is for sure, its not over.
When did we say we would decimate Hoggard? Monty has millions of fans because there are alot of people in england than australia you see ;)
Vaughan also has alot of fans for what reason I don't know, same with Katich.

manee

Chairman of Selectors
When did we say we would decimate Hoggard?

Not said, but it was widely accepted that they would...believe me (or dont, its your choice :p).

Monty is a huge sensation in England, people put on bandanas and fake beards just to be like him...he has a following. Vaughan just has people that respect that he has one of the greatest techniques in the world.

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
This is already next month! :) Can't wait for this. I've been waiting for this for very long time. When is the Australia squad going to be announced?

And I actually would have like to see an ODI series before the Test series, but I guess it's normal in Australia to play the Test series before the ODI series.

langerrox

International Coach
manee said:
Not said, but it was widely accepted that they would...believe me (or dont, its your choice :p).

Monty is a huge sensation in England, people put on bandanas and fake beards just to be like him...he has a following. Vaughan just has people that respect that he has one of the greatest techniques in the world.
Lol ill give you that! Monty is a great/cool guy I have no problem with that but I just dont see him being a big thread.

Hehehe Vaughans technique:P *can remember a few cricket montages where his off-stump gets removed multiple times*

manee

Chairman of Selectors
So can I, but apparently he is the model of perfection when it comes to batting...I do not think that though.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
It's his cover drive that when he is good knick is one of the most beautiful in the business. He also plays a very nice swivel pull shot. When he scores runs, he is a joy to watch. He is by no means the most technically sound batsman around, as when the pitch isn't very quick or with a true consistent bounce he has a tendency to let the odd one slip through the gate. However when the pitch is fast and true and he gets a score, he plays some delightful shots.

@ Langerrox and Manee - It was I believe Jeff Thompson who came out and said before the last Ashes that Hoggy was no more than a net bowler who would get carted around during the Ashes, those were words he most certainly came to regret.

aussie_ben91

School Cricketer
langerrox said:
Vaughan also has alot of fans for what reason I don't know, same with Katich.

I'm a Michael Vaughan fan. I quite enjoyed watching him bat in the 2002/03 Ashes series and he was basically the reason why England even won a Test in that series. I don't think I've ever seen someone come into Australia and whack 3 big centuries in a series against the likes of McGrath & Warne let alone when was the last time an englishmen did that against Australia in Australia?

And not only that but he succeeded as a captain aswell and beat the best side in the world to the point where they had to follow on for the 1st time in around 15-16 years and from the top of my head he made the biggest individual score in that series.

Vaughan has done more then his fair share of work towards English cricket to deserve to have plenty of fans.

langerrox

International Coach
wfdu_ben91 said:
I'm a Michael Vaughan fan. I quite enjoyed watching him bat in the 2002/03 Ashes series and he was basically the reason why England even won a Test in that series. I don't think I've ever seen someone come into Australia and whack 3 big centuries in a series against the likes of McGrath & Warne let alone when was the last time an englishmen did that against Australia in Australia?

And not only that but he succeeded as a captain aswell and beat the best side in the world to the point where they had to follow on for the 1st time in around 15-16 years and from the top of my head he made the biggest individual score in that series.

Vaughan has done more then his fair share of work towards English cricket to deserve to have plenty of fans.
yes it was a great series and some great hundreds.. but you can't define a career over that.

manee

Chairman of Selectors
Sadly he sacrifised a great career to be England captain, he was a great captain and I reckon he can lead England to victory if he captains or plays in any of the games in the Ashes

langerrox

International Coach
yeh he is a great captain but i dont rate his batting anymore.

aussie_ben91

School Cricketer
langerrox said:
yes it was a great series and some great hundreds.. but you can't define a career over that.

He was brilliant against India in the series just prior to the Ashes in 2002. I guess that's basically what fueled him to challenge McGrath.

I think puddleduck pretty much summed it up, Vaughan is as good as anyone when his in form.

15 centuries in 64 test matches is by no means a bad record.

langerrox

International Coach
wfdu_ben91 said:
He was brilliant against India in the series just prior to the Ashes in 2002. I guess that's basically what fueled him to challenge McGrath.

I think puddleduck pretty much summed it up, Vaughan is as good as anyone when his in form.

15 centuries in 64 test matches is by no means a bad record.
that was 2002, its 2006 now. Of course he is as good as anyone when his inform but the problem is he is never inform. He hasnt got a ODI century so you can hardly justify his ODI career.

aussie_ben91

School Cricketer
langerrox said:
that was 2002, its 2006 now. Of course he is as good as anyone when his inform but the problem is he is never inform. He hasnt got a ODI century so you can hardly justify his ODI career.

When did the Ashes all of a sudden become a One-day competition? I never justified his ODI career. His not the only player who can be exceptional at Test level but have a pretty average ODI career, either.

kodos

International Coach
Agreed with wdfu, when do ODI records determine how good a test batsman is. Plus some great test batsmans are purely not suited to ODI's such as Michael Slater and Thorpe. Both are distinguished test batsmans but never really made a mark in the ODI game.

I still wouldn't doubt Vaughan's ability with the bat, he can produce those captain knocks that can be so crucial to determine the outcome of the match and possibly series as seen in the Manchester test in 2005.If Vaughan does play in the 4th, 5th and possibly even the 3rd test I will expect him to make at least a century but in between get some very low scores.

Users who are viewing this thread