Final: Australia v England at Bridgetown

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
=/ He's in the squad, and played a game. Why shouldn't he be there?

Interesting discussion regarding the 50 over squad. I don't think Strauss should come back in personally. Steven Davies has been brilliant in domestic cricket, and is a better glovesman than Kieswetter, so gets in easily for me. I'd like to see us go into our next ODi series with:

Kieswetter
Davies +
Pietersen
Collingwood *
Morgan
Wright
Yardy
Swann
Broad
Sidebottom
Anderson

Liking that team a lot.

Wouldn't be dropping Strauss from the ODI team just yet, although he definately has to watch himself with Lumb around.

But if anyone is to replace Strauss opening in ODIs. I would go for Trott instead of Davies. Much more solid.

Plus of course looking ahead to WC 2011. When Master Fred returns - Sidebottom would go out from that XI.

P

pcfan123

Yea I don't care that he bowled well today, Sidebottom has to go. He is a liability more than anything else.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Wouldn't be dropping Strauss from the ODI team just yet, although he definately has to watch himself with Lumb around.

But if anyone is to replace Strauss opening in ODIs. I would go for Trott instead of Davies. Much more solid.

Plus of course looking ahead to WC 2011. When Master Fred returns - Sidebottom would go out from that XI.

I don't think Trott scores quickly enough, and is probably one of the worst possible players to come in for a WC in the Subcontinent. He's pretty poor against spin. Would rather Bell come in instead of Trott tbh. Davies being picked allows Kieswetter to play as a lone batsman, and work on his keeping until it's International standard. Davies has also been exceptional in County Cricket for the last 3 years. Davies > Lumb > Bell > Trott > Strauss, would be the order of guys getting a go in the team for me.

Agree RE: Fred too. Can't wait to get him back in this side.

Loving Athers defending KP. Pietersen really is my idol. He's always going to be my favourite player. He was the first player I really enjoyed watching, and was one of the players that got me interested in cricket. I'm delighted he's back in form and playing well. He's now fit, and has put in a serious amount of work on his game, and is now reaping the benefits. He has the potential to be one of the great players in the history of English cricket, and I hope he kicks on in the next 3 years and stamps a legacy on the game. What a player.

Last edited:

Kiko_97

User Title Purchaser
Profile Flag
England
As soon as pics get on of the trophy being lifted, post them here so I can have a new wally :p :D ;) :yes

Mike23

Associate Cricketer
Just got back from classes and i cannot believe my eyes England have WON an ICC event!!!

ali_ed2001

Club Cricketer
well done England. Didn't expect you guys to beat Australia after the way Aussies performed in the semi, but you have proved everyone wrong. Great tournament for England, nearly unbeaten.

War

Chairman of Selectors
I don't think Trott scores quickly enough, and is probably one of the worst possible players to come in for a WC in the Subcontinent. He's pretty poor against spin. Would rather Bell come in instead of Trott tbh. Davies being picked allows Kieswetter to play as a lone batsman, and work on his keeping until it's International standard. Davies has also been exceptional in County Cricket for the last 3 years. Davies > Lumb > Bell > Trott > Strauss, would be the order of guys getting a go in the team for me.

Bell is probably are worse player of spin than Trott & definately has a strike rate that isn't better as well. Trott>>>>>Bell as a ODI batsmen in any position - especially oepning @ international level. Bell's days as a ODI player is finished to be frank., im fairly confident ENG won't be selecting him in that format ever again. Strictly a test player.

Plus now that you mentioned watching cricket in India this last decade, i dont necessarily feel we are going to have alot of turning pitches even in the WC next year. We are likely to have alot of batting beauties in India. Although the games in SRI & BANG might have a few slow turners.

I dont think we should be so quick to get Strauss out of the ODI team just yet. He has a fairly good 2009 in ODIs (probably his best year). His batting in that ODI series in the windies was excellent. So if he improves further in 2010 - i can see Strauss playing a Nick Knight type role opening - while Kieswetter stays as the aggressor during the power-play overs.

Fair enough on Davies i guess. Kieswetter definately has some work to do on his glovework in international cricket. I have noticed those issues watching him a few times for Somerset over the last 2 years - plus i think Boycott talked about it as well. But i dont think its that big an issue ATM, that we need to relieve him of the gloves yet so as to let Davies play.

- ATM it should be Strauss continue opening for the remainder of 2010 until he flops.

- Then the men on his heals depending on domestic form are Lumb & Trott

Daveis of course should be direct replacement for Kieswetter in case of injury in both the ODI & T20 sides. Davies definately should be in the 2011 WC squad.

Agree RE: Fred too. Can't wait to get him back in this side.

Loving Athers defending KP. Pietersen really is my idol. He's always going to be my favourite player. He was the first player I really enjoyed watching, and was one of the players that got me interested in cricket. I'm delighted he's back in form and playing well. He's now fit, and has put in a serious amount of work on his game, and is now reaping the benefits. He has the potential to be one of the great players in the history of English cricket, and I hope he kicks on in the next 3 years and stamps a legacy on the game. What a player.

Word...KP for president...the hell with David Cameron...i still can't believe the cons are in power mannn..

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
Didn't see us winning this; thought it looked very ominous when Tait and Johnson started bowling like they did.

Huzzah!

Themer added 2 Minutes and 3 Seconds later...

Word...KP for president...the hell with David Cameron...i still can't believe the cons are in power mannn..

I know he's only been in control of the country for five minutes and he's made Scottish family jobless and homeless.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Bell is probably are worse player of spin than Trott & definately has a strike rate that isn't better as well. Trott>>>>>Bell as a ODI batsmen in any position - especially oepning @ international level. Bell's days as a ODI player is finished to be frank., im fairly confident ENG won't be selecting him in that format ever again. Strictly a test player.

Plus now that you mentioned watching cricket in India this last decade, i dont necessarily feel we are going to have alot of turning pitches even in the WC next year. We are likely to have alot of batting beauties in India. Although the games in SRI & BANG might have a few slow turners.

Sorry, Trott's a better player of spin than Ian Bell? Are you having a laugh?

Bell also has a good record in ODi's, averaging over 35 with an ok strike rate. He's also played magnificently for Warwickshire in the last 2 years, and was striking at over 100 this season in 40 over cricket (just dipped below 100, down to 99). Bell's a hugely under-rated OD player, and is out-playing Trott this season for Warwickshire. Trott looked terrible against the turn of Herath against Hampshire, whereas Bell was just skipping down the track and lofting him over cover with ease. There is no way on earth Trott is a better player of spin than Bell.

Pitches might not turn big, but they're still going to be slow. Trott is not good at rotating the strike against spin. He doesn't appear to have a go-to boundary option either. He seems to just sit on spin and block. That simply won't work in a WC held in the subcontinent. It's baffling to me how you can say that Trott is a better player of spin than a guy who is England's 2nd best player of spin at Test level. Bell is very good against spin. Good at rotating the strike, tends to read spin well, and is excellent at using his feet down the pitch. Bell is so far ahead of Trott as a player of spin it's not even funny.

I dont think we should be so quick to get Strauss out of the ODI team just yet. He has a fairly good 2009 in ODIs (probably his best year). His batting in that ODI series in the windies was excellent. So if he improves further in 2010 - i can see Strauss playing a Nick Knight type role opening - while Kieswetter stays as the aggressor during the power-play overs.

Fair enough on Davies i guess. Kieswetter definately has some work to do on his glovework in international cricket. I have noticed those issues watching him a few times for Somerset over the last 2 years - plus i think Boycott talked about it as well. But i dont think its that big an issue ATM, that we need to relieve him of the gloves yet so as to let Davies play.

- ATM it should be Strauss continue opening for the remainder of 2010 until he flops.

- Then the men on his heals depending on domestic form are Lumb & Trott

Daveis of course should be direct replacement for Kieswetter in case of injury in both the ODI & T20 sides. Davies definately should be in the 2011 WC squad.

Strauss doesn't play spin too well in ODi cricket, and I see him getting stuck and not advancing the scoring rate too quickly. He's excellent at getting pace away, but on slow tracks I think he could struggle. Davies has done the hard work in County Cricket, and has been the best County wicket-keeper batsman on the circuit in the last 3 years in OD cricket. I'm a huge Michael Lumb fan, but there is no way he should be ahead of Steven Davies, nor should Trott, or Strauss.

As for waiting for Strauss to flop. How long are we going to give him? He played well against the West Indies in 1 series, but he's done very little in the last year. 16 matches, 443 runs at 27.68, top score of 63 and a strike rate of 74. Time for him to move aside, give Collingwood the captaincy in ODi's and T20i's, and time for the selectors to give Steven Davies a chance. How can you argue against these statistics:

Code:
Season    Runs    Avg    S.R

2007    457    38.08    
2008    689    49.21    112.39
2009    658    50.61    117.50
2010    140    70.00    142.85

They're exceptional statistics, and he really should be given a go in the ODi side. He's a better batsman than Strauss, and a better keeper than Kieswetter. Give Davies the gloves and allow Kieswetter to focus on his batting, and work on his keeping ahead of future T20's. Davies is also a better player of spin/slow bowling than Lumb and Trott too. It's a no-brainer of a selection for me.

Params7

International Cricketer
Only thing I hated about this tourny was the crowd.

Even though they started turning up in latter part of the tournament, it was like they were on drugs and were just there to play music irrespective of what's happening on the field. This roar alone last year is about twice as higher than anything we've seen in this years crowd :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w_9pZOZlaM

Though at least good to see they showed up. 2007 WC was ugly for the natives.

P

pcfan123

It was the damn 9am starts, if the games were in the evening it would have been a different story. No one is going to go to matches in the morning on a weekday,

the quality of cricket was excellent and that is what matters. Id rather have great quality cricket and small crowds than horrible village cricket and manic crowds.

You could say the crowds in India are on "drugs" as well, they just cheer for anything constantly, its just non-stop noise, You may find that as a good atmosphere but i think its useless and annoying.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
Why is Cook such an underrated ODI player? I think he could do a fine job personally. I think that Strauss and Cook will both play anyways. Strauss is the captain and Cook came back into the side to captain so it seems as if they are both in the selectors' plans. I think they will make Kieswetter wait for a while before one of them loses form or push him down the order. However, this may be an unfamiliar and difficult position for him to play in as he isn't particularly good against the spinners. He always looks to come down the track and plays far too many premeditated shots against the spinners. He needs some practice against spinners and the short stuff (as commentators showed today)

Everyone's posting what they would like to be England's line up. I'll post what I think will be England's line up in ODIs.

Alastair Cook
* Andrew Strauss
Kevin Pietersen
Paul Collingwood
Eoin Morgan
+ Matt Prior
Andrew Flintoff
Tim Bresnan/Michael Yardy (they would want to practice playing 2 spinners with the world cup coming up as it will make it a much more balanced attack with 3 seamers and 2 spinners)
Graeme Swann
Stuart Broad
James Anderson

Users who are viewing this thread