India in Pakistan

Rangeela

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
share your opinions and comments about the tour which is set to take off in March

ODI series stats btwn Pakistan and India

------------------ODI--Ind----Pak--Tie--NR
Total in India-------14----4-----10----0----0
Total in Pakistan---15----3-----10----0----2
Total at neutral-----57---23----32----0----2

Grand Total----------86----30----52---0---4

Test series stats btwn Pakistan and India

------------------Test---Ind----Pak---Draw---Tie
Total in India-------27------5------4------18-------0
Total in Pakistan---20------0------5------15-------0

Grand Total----------47-----5------9-------33-------0

bomber

Club Cricketer
I have not seen Pakistan play for while, so Im not sure what there form is like at the moment? I do know they have the ability to play some amazing cricket, but they are too inconsistant.

India played some really good cricket over here against Australia & Zimbabwe. So, it will be interesting if they can continue there current form? (Laxman makes batting look easy)

This will be a interesting series, Im sure Rangeela will keep us informed?:)

jonah

International Coach
Looking at those stats it's interesting to see Pakistan have the upper hand in both ODI's and Tests, but is that correct that there's been 33 drawn Tests out of 47?

jonah

International Coach
I suppose many were played on low, flat wickets.

Rangeela

International Coach
Sourav Ganguly, India's captain, effectively put an end to the suspense regarding player pull-outs for the upcoming tour to Pakistan by saying that the whole team would tour, but that concerns about security still remain.

"Everybody will be going", Ganguly announced. "We are still concerned about security, but the government is looking after it. We hope there will be tight security."

According to an AFP report, a security assessment by Yashowardhan Azad, the security who accompanied BCCI officials to Pakistan last week, was submitted to the Indian government, which would then make recommendations to the Indian cricket board. The report stated that risky venues were ruled out, and that Karachi and Peshawar were among them, The Times of India reported.

Ganguly added that "all the team members are physically and mentally fit", with the exception of Harbhajan Singh, "who is yet to recover from a finger injury".

Talking about his team's chances in Pakistan, Ganguly was optimistic about a good showing after India's tour of Australia.

"We played very well in the series against Australia," Ganguly said. "Considering the fact that Australia is the world's number one team, even if we play 60 per cent of our game, we will win the Pakistan series."

? Wisden Cricinfo Ltd

Rangeela

International Coach
The Pakistan Cricket Board has unveiled the itinerary for India's first Test tour of Pakistan in almost 15 years. Contrary to all the earlier speculation, the five one-day internationals will now be played first, with the three Tests matches scheduled to start only at the end of March.

India will play a warm-up game in Lahore on March 11, with the one-day series scheduled to start in Karachi two days later. Both Karachi and Peshawar had been under a cloud because of supposed security concerns, but both venues will host one-day internationals. Tellingly though, the Test matches have gone to Lahore - which also hosts the final two ODIs, both day-night affairs - Multan and Rawalpindi.

Announcing the itinerary, Rameez Raja, the chief executive of the PCB, said, "I feel honoured and delighted to announce the itinerary of India's first Test tour to Pakistan in nearly 15 years. I am confident that it will be a great series in which the Pakistan public will extend their traditional respect and hospitality to the visitors. At the same time, I am convinced that it would be a controversy-free and trouble-free series and at the end of the day, it will be cricket that will emerge the winner irrespective of which team wins the Test or one-day series."

He went on to add, "I once again assure everyone that best security will be in place for the Indian team but at the same time we have ensured that no inconvenience is caused to the local and visiting spectators which we expect to be in huge numbers."

Raja said that the Test series had been put back because of political reasons. "The BCCI requested us for the change of format because of the expected elections in India in April," he said. "They [BCCI] further argued that if the one-day series was played in the second half of the series, the public will lose interest in the matches. We showed flexibility because we understand the importance of this series. I can further say here that we were in constant touch with the concerned government departments and necessary advice and approvals have been sought from them."

He also suggested that India's concerns had been a factor in Karachi and Peshawar not hosting Test matches. "As regards Karachi and Peshawar, who will not be hosting Test matches, I will say here that the confidence of the touring teams has not fully restored [in the two centres]. Moreover, had we had pressed harder for Tests in Karachi and Peshawar, the tour might even have been called off. But while I am sad that the two centres will not be hosting Tests, I am glad that they will be hosting important one-day games."

Raja said that the itinerary was delayed so that the BCCI delegation that visited Pakistan last week could liaise with the government and come up with a formula that satisfied all parties concerned.

The itinerary

March 10 ? Arrival in Lahore

March 11 ? One-day warm-up game in Lahore

March 13 ? 1st ODI in Karachi

March 16 ? 2nd ODI in Rawalpindi (D/N)

March 19 ? 3rd ODI in Peshawar

March 21 ? 4th ODI in Lahore (D/N)

March 24 ? 5th ODI in Lahore (D/N)

March 28-April 1 ? 1st Test at Multan

April 5-9 ? 2nd Test at Lahore

April 13-17 ? 3rd Test at Rawalpindi

April 18 ? Departure from Lahore

? Wisden Cricinfo Ltd

T20

Panel of Selectors
I hope the tour goes smoothly..we'll be treated to some cracking games no doubt :cool: come on India!!!!!!!!!! :D

jonah

International Coach
Got your subsciption to Willow sorted yet S?;)

Ste

Executive member
Talking about Willow, if you are in the UK you can the whole series on SKY Sports or Pakistani Channel ARY Digital (for an extra price).

Its not on the Sky Sports website but it is confirmed in this months SKY Magazine.

Rangeela

International Coach
Former players and cricket officials from Karachi have voiced disappointment about the city not being allocated a Test match against India, and have vowed to lodge a protest over the decision.

The final itinerary was announced on Saturday, and Karachi and Peshawar will only host one-day matches for security reasons.

Hanif Mohammad, the former Pakistan captain, said he was saddened by the decision. "I am disappointed - the Indians should have been bold enough to play in Karachi which is the premier centre of the country."

Sirajul Islam Bukhari, the secretary of the Karachi City Cricket Association, told the AFP agency that, "The PCB had knelt down before India and by not including Karachi as the Test venue have taken dictation from the BCCI." But the Indian Board said that the decision to drop Karachi and Peshawar over security fears was taken on the Indian government's advice, following a visit by a three-member delegation which assessed security in Pakistan last week.

A suicide-bomb blast outside their team hotel, which killed 12 people, forced New Zealand to abandon their tour in May 2002. Bangladesh played a Test and a one-day game in Karachi and one Test in Peshawar last year, but South Africa and New Zealand refused to play at both venues because of security concerns.

Bukhari said that his association's officials will meet the provincial governor to lodge a protest, but he ruled out a boycott of the one-day game scheduled for Karachi on March 13. "Boycott would be a drastic decision," he admitted, "and in the best interest of the country we would not boycott the only match given to Karachi."

? Wisden Cricinfo Ltd

jonah

International Coach
Originally posted by Ste
Talking about Willow, if you are in the UK you can the whole series on SKY Sports or Pakistani Channel ARY Digital (for an extra price).

Its not on the Sky Sports website but it is confirmed in this months SKY Magazine.

Yeah I saw an advert for it on Sky during the VB Series finals.

Rangeela

International Coach
From now until the end of the India-Pakistan series, we will be putting together a daily round-up of what all the newspapers are saying regarding this series. Most of this will be from Indian and Paksitani newspapers, but if interesting articles regarding the series appear in publications of other countries, they will also be included in our round-up. Our Paper Round will, thus, function as a one-stop source for all news regarding this series.

First, news that will bring enormous relief to cricket fans all over India: Mandira Bedi will not be part of the television coverage for this series. At one level, that is obvious: she is contracted by Set Max, while Ten Sports will broadcast this tour. But a report in The Times of India makes it clear that the concept that Ms Bedi embodies, of the cheap glamorisation of cricket coverage, will not be indulged in by Ten Sports.

Sharmishta Rijhwani, the managing director of Taj Television, the holding company of Ten Sports, said: "We will concentrate only on the real thing. We don't think the viewers will be interested in too much masala or distractions during such a historic tour."

The commentators lined up by Ten Sports include Ian Chappell, Ian Healy, Dean Jones and Robin Jackman. Their halftime break will feature a show called Straight Drive, hosted by Sanjay Manjrekar, with guests such as Imran Khan and Navjot Sidhu.

According to The News, Rameez Raja has confirmed that he will be a commentator for Ten Sports during the India-Pakistan series. This has been a controversial issue, given that Raja is the chief executive of the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB), and his commentating on the series seems like a conflict of interest.

"Yes I will be doing the commentary," Raja said, "and there is no ambiguity over this issue. There is a clear understanding about this. Commentary is my livelihood and I want to be in the commentators box for the India series because I think I have done a good job of presenting Pakistan's point of view and positively promoting Pakistan cricket in this role."

It is safe to say that Richie Benaud, who believes so strongly in the objectivity of the commentators, would not approve.

The News also quotes Javed Miandad laying down the parameters for selection to the Pakistan side. "Any player not giving 200%," he says, "will not be considered." Rumours abound that players who were earlier giving only 150% are now beginning to work harder.

Miandad also emphasised the importance of discipline, in all aspects of the game. "The players need to individually work on their fielding drills. Secondly our bowlers must give extra time to reduce their habit of giving away too many no-balls or wides. We will ask the selection committee not to consider any such player in future who is not willing to work hard himself in these two areas."

Chandu Borde, who used to be India's chief selector, has written a column for the Press Trust of India, stating that India's chances depends on the fitness of their bowlers. Harbhajan Singh, Anil Kumble, Zaheer Khan and Ashish Nehra are all nursing injuries, but while Borde acknowledged the importance of their being fit, he also praised the back-up bowlers.

"The most heartening aspect of the Australian tour," Borde said, "was the emergence of two new seamers in Irfan Pathan and Lakshmipathy Balaji, who shouldered the responsibility after the seniors were sidelined with injuries."

The Dawn carried a report which had Pakistan's interior minister, Makhdoom Syed Faisal Saleh Hayat, assuring reporters that the security for India's tour would be stringent. "There are going to be no loopholes in security," he said, "and the Rangers apart from police will be mobilised to provide a complete umbrella to the touring team." He also said that a senior superintendent of police would accompany the Indian team at all times.

Hayat also said that visas would be given to Indian fans on the basis of tickets bought. "We expect around 8000-10,000 Indian fans altogether during the Indian cricket series and our High Commission in Delhi has been instructed to issue visas to ticket-holders in a smooth manner."

The Press Trust of India reports that the board has yet to receive any communication from their bevy of injured players regarding their fitness. SK Nair, secretary of the BCCI, said: "I have asked five cricketers ? Zaheer Khan, Mohammed Kaif, Ashish Nehra, Ajit Agarkar and Anil Kumble ? to produce their fitness certificates before the selection committee meeting on March 3rd. But so far I have not heard from any of them."

After the controversy over Wasim Akram helping the Indian bowlers, The News now reports that Akram will be giving lectures on bowling at the training camp organised for the Pakistani probables. "I spoke to Wasim today and he confirmed he would be happy to visit the camp and hold lectures practically and theoretically for the bowlers," said a PCB source. "Wasim said he had been busy with his commentary work with ESPN/Star Sports in the last few months but now he was available to work with the bowlers in the camp."

? Wisden Cricinfo Ltd

Rangeela

International Coach
The Indian team for the tour of Pakistan will be selected on March 1 at Kolkata. The selection meeting has been advanced by two days to ensure that the players can participate in a three-day preparatory camp at Kolkata before they leave for Pakistan.

The camp, to be held from March 7 to 9, will focus on fitness and tests will be administered to all players before and after the camp. "A number of players had picked up injuries during the 80-day long Australian tour. But our physiotherapist (Andrew Leipus) and doctor (Anant Joshi) have stated in their reports that most of them would be fit for the tour to Pakistan," said Jagmohan Dalmiya at the press conference in Delhi soon after a working committee meeting of the Board of Control for Cricket in India.

Dalmiya added that all players other than Harbhajan Singh had submitted fitness certificates. "Although, the players have given certificates they will have to undergo fitness tests in Kolkata," said Dalmiya. He informed the media that the team would leave on March 10 by a specially chartered Indian Airlines flight. Shortly before they leave the team would be briefed by the home and foreign ministries

Users who are viewing this thread