India Team Discussion

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
To be fair if they just got picked for the World Cup without playing a T20i for a long time, people would complain about that.

Come on man, there is a T20 WC in 6 months. They have to come back for that.

Kohli’s a bit understandable but Rohit has been inconsistent for a while in Indian colours, had a poor WC and for the last two IPL seasons has been quite poor. It’ll also be weird seeing him captain the national side after losing the same role in the IPL.

I did say this before but I’d rather stick with the blokes that have been excellent since the big two have been ‘resting’. Wonder if the WC happening in USA also influenced the recalls for Rohit and Kohli alongside them wanting to play. He is injured right now but I bet Gaikwad will be peeved if he doesn’t make it to the WC after such an excellent run of form.

I also think there’s one more spot up for grabs in the middle order for the keeper role that Rahul will be eyeing which may be decided by his IPL performances.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Kohli’s a bit understandable but Rohit has been inconsistent for a while in Indian colours, had a poor WC and for the last two IPL seasons has been quite poor. It’ll also be weird seeing him captain the national side after losing the same role in the IPL.
Why is Kohli also understandable in this case? Just cause he had a good World Cup? IMO, we should have moved on from VK after 2021. Rohit- probably, the runs havent come his way, but you can't discount his leadership, can you? He has been instrumental in giving starts to the team(since the 50 over CWC).

Finally, on leadership, him losing the MI captaincy has got nothing to do with national leadership. Let us also admit that there are no viable options available to lead the team here.
I also think there’s one more spot up for grabs in the middle order for the keeper role that Rahul will be eyeing which may be decided by his IPL performances.
I think the middle order has been decided. KL and Shreyas have had their run in T20 and have failed to make an impact. It is only wise that we move on from these 2. Samson deserves a long-ish run and I'd be pretty peeved if he doesnt feature. Let's see what happens.

Bevab

Staff Member
Data doesn't compute!

The guy averages close to fifty whilst striking at above 150 in 2023 in T20s across three different sides.

The data definitely does compute.

Bevab

Staff Member
Why is Kohli also understandable in this case? Just cause he had a good World Cup? IMO, we should have moved on from VK after 2021. Rohit- probably, the runs havent come his way, but you can't discount his leadership, can you? He has been instrumental in giving starts to the team(since the 50 over CWC).

Finally, on leadership, him losing the MI captaincy has got nothing to do with national leadership. Let us also admit that there are no viable options available to lead the team here.

I think the middle order has been decided. KL and Shreyas have had their run in T20 and have failed to make an impact. It is only wise that we move on from these 2. Samson deserves a long-ish run and I'd be pretty peeved if he doesnt feature. Let's see what happens.

Yes, that is why Kohli is understandable. I wouldn’t pick either of them for this series or the upcoming WC but dropping the highest run scorer from the last WC and a man with a proven history of delivering the goods in WCs of this format is a bold call. Kohli’s also bounced back to have a very good IPL last year unlike Rohit.

Rohit’s captaincy is good but there is no guarantee that he will not go back into his shell again once faced with pressure given that he’s a seasoned veteran who still got fazed by it. The bloke who replaced him at MI is also available to lead India so a question of viability is weird.

I don’t want KLR or Shreyas back either. However it is hard to deny that Rahul will always be considered if he does have a strong IPL away from the opening role. I still think it will be a mistake since he will be batting at three or four for LSG and for India he’ll have to bat at five or even six.

I’ve watched Samson play in some of these bilaterals and he is nothing like the ODI version of him. He’s thrown his wicket away far too often for inconsistent returns. The keeper spot isn’t his anyway at the moment, it belongs to Jitesh.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
I do get where you're coming from. Honestly, it is going to be difficult for the selection to drop Virat and Rohit, unless they themselves ask to be dropped. Going in with a 2007 sort of squad isn't a bad idea- but the main difference here being that the expectations are higher than 2007. Even so, the leadership vacuum still exists.

My take - either way, the team should reach Round 2/ semis. The game actually begins for us post that.

Till Valhalla

ICC Chairman
The Boys
Profile Flag
Papua New Guinea
The guy averages close to fifty whilst striking at above 150 in 2023 in T20s across three different sides.

The data definitely does compute.
Na mujhe states ke naam sunai dete hai
I don't care about state team or IPL(plus he is on match fixing ipl team that gives 20+ boost to average)(unless they fit my agenda.)
The limited I have watched him in the recent series make me think he is very inconsistent and when not in groove is a big liability up top that eats too many balls.

Users who are viewing this thread