India tour of WestIndies - June/July 2017

I hope we rest guys like Kohli for this series and give all the new guys a chance. Our side is more than 90% there when it comes to the WC except for a few tweaks. If we can get a wrist spinner (Kuldeep, Chahal etc) to fit in and one batsman in place of Yuvraj, we would possibly have the best ODI side out there. The lesson to be learnt from the CT final is that we picked bits and pieces bowlers over genuine seamers in Shami and Umesh. Also, Rohit never does well when the heat is on. Him and Shikhar have got away with it a little throughout the whole tournament because of the low scores we were chasing and some mediocre bowling by Pakistan in the opening game. Shikhar, more than Rohit seems to be the one who is up for a fight against tough opposition. Rohit scores a lot of soft runs. Even if he had scored a scratchy 20-odd yesterday and got us to 40/1 in 10 overs, we would have been in with a real chance. He is consistently lazy with his footwork and will be found wanting against good pace attacks on song. Sometimes you have to look beyond numbers.

My side going into the 2019 WC would look like this:

Rohit/Rahul
Shikhar/Rahul
Kohli
Jadhav/Rahane
Pandya
Rishabh Pant
Dhoni
Bhuvi
Kuldeep Yadav
Shami
Umesh

I hope we rest guys like Kohli for this series and give all the new guys a chance. Our side is more than 90% there when it comes to the WC except for a few tweaks. If we can get a wrist spinner (Kuldeep, Chahal etc) to fit in and one batsman in place of Yuvraj, we would possibly have the best ODI side out there. The lesson to be learnt from the CT final is that we picked bits and pieces bowlers over genuine seamers in Shami and Umesh. Also, Rohit never does well when the heat is on. Him and Shikhar have got away with it a little throughout the whole tournament because of the low scores we were chasing and some mediocre bowling by Pakistan in the opening game. Shikhar, more than Rohit seems to be the one who is up for a fight against tough opposition. Rohit scores a lot of soft runs. Even if he had scored a scratchy 20-odd yesterday and got us to 40/1 in 10 overs, we would have been in with a real chance. He is consistently lazy with his footwork and will be found wanting against good pace attacks on song. Sometimes you have to look beyond numbers.

My side going into the 2019 WC would look like this:

Rohit/Rahul
Shikhar/Rahul
Kohli
Jadhav/Rahane
Pandya
Rishabh Pant
Dhoni
Bhuvi
Kuldeep Yadav
Shami
Umesh
Really? You pick Pandya as our 5th bowler? He aint in any position to become the 5th bowler..

Really? You pick Pandya as our 5th bowler? He aint in any position to become the 5th bowler..

The problem is not with Pandya being the 5th bowler. The problem with the CT side was that Pandya was the 3rd seamer. I feel he is decent enough to get through 10 overs which is usually the role of the 5th bowler. However, he cannot play as the 3rd seamer in the side. As long as there are 3 genuine seamers along with an attacking spinner in the side, Pandya can play as the 5th bowler. The problem with the CT final was that Bumrah was playing as a new ball bowler which he isn`t. To add to the woes, we had two spinners who were not looking to pick wickets.

Which sports channel will be broadcasting the series here in India ?

Which sports channel will be broadcasting the series here in India ?
Sony Six and Ten network - by the way Sony pictures is the new parent owner of Ten network which was previously owned by Zee network (Essel Group).

The problem is not with Pandya being the 5th bowler. The problem with the CT side was that Pandya was the 3rd seamer. I feel he is decent enough to get through 10 overs which is usually the role of the 5th bowler. However, he cannot play as the 3rd seamer in the side. As long as there are 3 genuine seamers along with an attacking spinner in the side, Pandya can play as the 5th bowler. The problem with the CT final was that Bumrah was playing as a new ball bowler which he isn`t. To add to the woes, we had two spinners who were not looking to pick wickets.

Pandya a special find indeed and have to disagree with you here. The WI pitches have shown in recent times to favour spin bowling more and its only 10 overs so I'll put him in as the 3rd seamer and bat him at number 4! He'll learn vastly from this experience and gain confidence, the last world class fast bowling all rounder yall had was Irfan and he was managed very badly, what a shame his career is now

No contest, crowd or buzz either. Such a pointless series.

Normally in Trinidad (where the 2 matches are bejng player) India team gets more support than the WI. However the island was ravaged by a storm earlier this week so this may explain as to the poor crowds. That being said West Indies cricket is obviously on the decline to the extent where its almost irelevant. Slog cricket (T20cricket) still causes a buzz though

And what's point of Rahane opening the series in all 5 matches when he will be an automatic replacement when Rahul or Rohit returns?

Again, India starts their first 10 overs with just 47 runs. I don't mind losing a wicket, but we need to target a minimum of 65-70 runs in the first 10 overs if we got to be at our best in the 2019 World Cup. These sedate risk free starts will put pressure on the middle order which is likely to feature players who are likely to treat the World Cup as their swansong. And if Ravi Shastri makes a backdoor entry here, back as India coach, then you can expect that this strategy will continue until we lose in the World Cup and are literally forced to abandon it.

Neither of Dhawan, Rahane or Rohit seem good enough to keep themselves busy and keep rotating the strike if they do not get the boundaries. These guys are big time boundary hitters and if they don't get the boundaries, they stick with dot balls, hoping that the boundary ball will come soon enough. I hope Rahul is a more busier player at the crease, who does not mind pinging the singles often when he does not score boundaries.

Comment in Cricinfo Commentary said:
"17 overs 86/0. What's the point of having such a strong and long middle order when it's never going to be used? Ideally the openers should be taking more risks and it's better to have a score of 100/1 or 120/2 in 17 overs instead of 86/0. Surely wickets in hand will help accelerate during the final stages, but you can't say necessarily. Because the new batsman would need to play a few balls to get his eye set in. India clearly lacks batting-order planning in the ODIs," Mohit Senapaty says with a click of his tongue

This comment nailed it! :clap:cheers:yes

Last edited:
No Shami. You must be kidding me ![DOUBLEPOST=1498228859][/DOUBLEPOST]
And what's point of Rahane opening the series in all 5 matches when he will be an automatic replacement when Rahul or Rohit returns?
Exactly. They could have atleast gone with Pant. It would have been a nice experience for him.

Users who are viewing this thread