My Batting Advice

sid8491

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I'm doing okay with spinners, mostly i play sweep shots. they are safe.
against fast bowlers i can't do anything because i premeditate the shots.

Shrimper

Club Cricketer
My batsmen keep playin cut shots and getting LBW with me saying do a front foot shot. :(

fixmyi

Club Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
how to judge the slower and faster bowl while batting. need some tips

Another question how to identify if the bowler is going to bowl a slower ball or faster while batting.
I play online and the opponent keep on mixing slow and super fast.
While I bowl he play he knew already that this is slow or fast.
Is there any tip regarding judging the bowl. For slower I can wait and play shot but if itsquick I don't get reaction time and m bowled

dharish

School Cricketer
Friends.. Brother & myself playing offline multiplayer.. found a killer ball which we are unable to tackle.. slwly we were getting scores of 100 @ Pro in tests.. now we are back to 30s because of this.. :(

We take an off spinner.. select the drift (Left-Down in XBOX) and use B (Short Ball).. it comes slow and short and doesnt go beyond lower half of middle stump.. or same combination and full ball... gets really tough!!! how do we play it?? Please advise...

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Friends.. Brother & myself playing offline multiplayer.. found a killer ball which we are unable to tackle.. slwly we were getting scores of 100 @ Pro in tests.. now we are back to 30s because of this.. :(

We take an off spinner.. select the drift (Left-Down in XBOX) and use B (Short Ball).. it comes slow and short and doesnt go beyond lower half of middle stump.. or same combination and full ball... gets really tough!!! how do we play it?? Please advise...

Wait for the ball and play the shot late.

Frostyvegi

Club Captain
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
In my experience if I play too late against spinners, i have that faint little edge to the keeper.

If you play too late, chances are your batsman can't get his bat into position quick enough. Play spinners just as the ball is bounching (as long as it's not totally full) and you should be right. I never have issues when I time it there, but alot of the time I nick it if I time it just as it's getting to my batsman. A replay shows the bat had just not moved where it needed to in the time I gave the batsman.

laxsidd

Club Captain
Using Running Cam for feedback on shot placement

Not sure if this has been discussed before. I have been facing a similar frustration with batting where you intend to play the ball in a particular direction, give the correct control input but the ball goes in a different direction (at times in the air). During the early days, this was fine as I thought some practice will improve my shot placement but that didnt help. Only recently I seemed to have discovered a key reason for my failure to consistently place the ball in the intended direction - I had set my running cam to "Broadcast". Thought that this cam would be ideal to judge runs - esp. given the superhuman fielder pre-patch 1. I did help me judge runs whenever I managed to get them :P
However, I did lose out on the valuable feedback on the exact direction of the shot - how close it was to the fielders in-field and course corrections to be made if I had to avoid them.

But recently after a lot of heartburn yesterday, I decided to change this to "Running Cam" & guess what - managed to successfully chase & win a T20 against Veteran AI (with their batting innings simulated) - one of my first games at this difficulty. Then played a couple of online matches (won both) & wore out the opposition with a few chance-less innings. Also went on to score 68 (36) with my career batter (batting all-rounder on Pro mode) without any aggressive / aerial stokes. Now I find it much easier to play the ball around the ground - esp. to the offside. Earlier, I had relied a lot on the flick shot to the on side to get a major chuck of my runs. An added advantage was that I could also judge the timing of the shot given the speed with which the ball traveled off my bat. (All this without impacting my ability to judge runs). Looks like my batting will see some good days going ahead.

On another note, does anyone have insights on how the batter's nature impacts the batting style & the best way to play for a given nature ( ex: 'precise' in my case)

Jadel

Club Captain
@laxsidd Im not really sure what your story is about.

Are you saying that the selection of running cam alters the direction the batter plays shots somehow?

That seems less than likely.

Frostyvegi

Club Captain
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
On another note, does anyone have insights on how the batter's nature impacts the batting style & the best way to play for a given nature ( ex: 'precise' in my case)

It doesn't. It is purely there to tell the AI batsman what shots to favour.

I've been trying to keep out of the comments about the apparent randomness of the batting in the game, as I'm of the opinion it is ALL based on your player skills and all based on your input.

Every time I get out I know what I've done wrong. If I don't, I check the replay and it matches pretty much with what I did. If I aired the ball, it's because it bounced more than I was expecting or I played earlier than I was intending, or I got a leading edge, or I just tried to take on a fielder I had no right to be trying to hit over or past. I never nick it if I play late but not too late, this is especially evident in playing spinners now, the last time I got caught was when I played too late and couldn't get the bat down in time.

laxsidd

Club Captain
@laxsidd Im not really sure
Are you saying that the selection of running cam alters the direction the batter plays shots somehow?

@Jadel: No.

Using the Running Cam made it easier for me to observe the direction & speed of the ball immediately after I play the shot. This way, if I hit a ball directly to a fielder, the next ball (or next time I face a similar ball) I can make minor amends to the shot direction to avoid the fielder.
This was way difficult when I had used Broadcast cam because of the discontinuity brought about by the immediate change in perspective to a broadcast view (a little disorienting at times).

----------

I've been trying to keep out of the comments about the apparent randomness of the batting in the game, as I'm of the opinion it is ALL based on your player skills and all based on your input.

@Frostyvegi: Totally agree with you on this. Had realized it while playing in the nets on PC.

Users who are viewing this thread