My Batting Advice

iamsachin

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Batting Camera has a very big impact on timing. I was struggling with the broadcast type cam on pro difficulty then switched to the close camera then the scores improved..

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
Yeah, I'm aware that pro cam makes the game harder, but I just don't have any interest in the other cameras. It doesn't feel enough like playing.

An optional feedback mechanism will help us figure out the problem and improve. Hopefully Big Ant will add this feedback mechanism in matches in the next patch.

Well it's slightly more complicated than that.

I don't just need to know why I was out ; I need to know how my input produced the mistake that got me out, and I need the link between the input and the mistake to be comprehensible and consistent so that I can work around it with acquired skill.

If the link between input and output isn't comprehensible and consistent enough then there's no real potential for mastery, which is the fun bit about playing games.

Last edited:

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Well it's slightly more complicated than that.

I don't just need to know why I was out ; I need to know how my input produced the mistake that got me out, and I need the link between the input and the mistake to be comprehensible and consistent so that I can work around it with acquired skill.

If the link between input and output isn't comprehensible and consistent enough then there's no real potential for mastery, which is the fun bit about playing games.

That can be deduced over time. E.g., you get to see the feedback when you play a good shot and when your timing, or say footwork, is off you play a poor shot and get out. Pretty soon you will be able to figure it out where you are going wrong and why you are getting out. Basic level of feedback is still much better than a comprehensive feedback system, which may not be feasible. At the very least I will be able to know why I edged a ball.

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
At the very least I will be able to know why I edged a ball.

Not necessarily. I'm pretty sure I've had nicks behind on practice matches with perfect timing and footwork.

And I already know what's going wrong when I get bowled with my foot miles away from the ball. Clearly that's a footwork mistake (although it might be a timing mistake as well), but I don't know why the footwork mistake is happening.

The practice match feedback would deffo be an improvement over nothing at all, though.

inertSpark

Associate Captain
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
The control system is definitely a bit wonky, to say the least. I don't believe that the game consistently translates your input into an equivalent output (ie shot etc), and I believe this is the cause of peoples' frustation when they say that drives arent performing correctly and spin bowling isn't correct.

On the contrary, I believe that those actions do indeed 'work', however the game has trouble interpreting what we are trying to do. Take spin bowling for example. If I bowl a maiden over full of leg breaks, why does the game occasionally give me the skill increase for a top spinner, or drift? That isnt what I was bowling. Secondly, why does the game occasionally perform a cut stroke when I was trying to do a leg glance? I noticed this on PS3 as well as on PC with my Xbox Controller. I don't believe the issue is with controller wear, but that the issue lies with the game itself.

The controls just aren't very.. accurate, to say the least. I hope someone at Big Ant at least has a look at this, whether my observations are correct or not. If there is merit in what I have said then it certainly seems as though it needs a bit of work.

Last edited:

grkrama

National Board President
Secondly, why does the game occasionally perform a cut stroke when I was trying to do a leg glance? I noticed this on PS3 as well as on PC with my Xbox Controller. I don't believe the issue is with controller wear, but that the issue lies with the game itself.
I have had the same error but it was actually me pressing the stick in wrong direction, this happens that i didnt even notice it, when you are say in a pressure to play a shot, your hand some times goes in the wrong direction first before correcting.So after the shot your hand may be in correct position on controler but during shot it would have been different, i also used to get frustrate because of this, but later i watched my hand carefully and found the issue.
It takes a bit of muscle memory practice to get it right.

----------

Also can someone give me tips on defending against spinners, especially straight and away going deliveries from around the wicket, i always seem to edge them to keeper.Im able to loft it over cover easily but if i try to defend or drive im edging.

inertSpark

Associate Captain
I'm not convinced that is the issue for me. My controller has bumps at each of the four major directions so as long as I am between the bumps at down and left, then I know I am hitting the right input for a leg glance. The 360 wired pad is quite tight so it's hard to get it wrong.
----------
Also can someone give me tips on defending against spinners, especially straight and away going deliveries from around the wicket, i always seem to edge them to keeper.Im able to loft it over cover easily but if i try to defend or drive im edging.

Try and play straight, basically haha! As long as you know it isnt going to hit your stumps, don't be afraid to leave a few.

----------

Oh also, I'm a firm believer of hitting against the spin, not with the spin. So for me, I hit in the opposite direction to where the ball is turning. The reason being that if you hit in the same direction as the turn, you'll wind up making a thinner contact and get more edges.

Last edited:

grkrama

National Board President
So for me, I hit in the opposite direction to where the ball is turning. The reason being that if you hit in the same direction as the turn, you'll wind up making a thinner contact and get more edges.
ok will try that see how it goes,im entirely trying to play with the spin of now.

CallyT

School Cricketer

I have covered this somewhere earlier, but best way to block a spinner in my opinion, is if you are a right hander is as follows,

Push the LA straight up 12 oclock (front foot)
Push the RA slightly to 11 oclock, probably between 11 and 12 oclock is ideal

This seems to kill everything with little chance to edge, Its how I play all blocks tbh.

inertSpark

Associate Captain
I have covered this somewhere earlier, but best way to block a spinner in my opinion, is if you are a right hander is as follows,

Push the LA straight up 12 oclock (front foot)
Push the RA slightly to 11 oclock, probably between 11 and 12 oclock is ideal

This seems to kill everything with little chance to edge, Its how I play all blocks tbh.

I actually noticed something similar to this when I was in the nets a few hours ago between career games. I thought I was mistaken by a placebo but it's good that someone else has!

Protip. In between career games, absolutely DO use the net practice. Takes less than 10 mins and it's free skill points!

ellgieff

Club Captain
That can be deduced over time. E.g., you get to see the feedback when you play a good shot and when your timing, or say footwork, is off you play a poor shot and get out. Pretty soon you will be able to figure it out where you are going wrong and why you are getting out. Basic level of feedback is still much better than a comprehensive feedback system, which may not be feasible. At the very least I will be able to know why I edged a ball.

I agree with T.J. Hooker, here.

The feedback we need is more than just "timing perfect, footwork perfect". We also need to have the stick inputs displayed. Ideally you'll also know what your confidence is , as well as the bowler's confidence (because we _know_ that confidence effects the outcome of the shot).

Note that you cannot rely on the feedback of the graphical representation.

Here, let's discuss what I got wrong with this first ball forward defense:

----------

The controls just aren't very.. accurate, to say the least. I hope someone at Big Ant at least has a look at this, whether my observations are correct or not. If there is merit in what I have said then it certainly seems as though it needs a bit of work.

Part of the accuracy issues is when the inputs trigger, which is at the start of the throw.

That means there's a much smaller difference between directions than if there was a dead spot in the centre (because the circle is smaller, so the sections are smaller)

I believe there's also some issues with the way the game "helps" or interprets what it is you want to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Playing 'normal' ground strokes. Does the power/distance that the ball travels after playing the stroke depend purely on foot position and timing, or does how far the right analogue is deflected/moved make any difference?

ellgieff

Club Captain
Playing 'normal' ground strokes. Does the power/distance that the ball travels after playing the stroke depend purely on foot position and timing, or does how far the right analogue is deflected/moved make any difference?

The manual doesn't mention the distance of the right analogue stick - so it's footwork/timing/the shot selected vs the delivery received.

F1RacerDan

Club Cricketer
I really wanted to start my own thread but couldn't seem to do that.???

Anyway it's about the defensive shot (L2 or RT) I seen a lot of people complaining about how the defensive shot stood the ball dead and that you can't really knock the ball into the gaps, by pure mistake I did a safety shot on the offside but lightly pressed the trigger and it plays somewhat of a little push shot!! Safe to say this has helped improve my batting tenfold. You can really knock the ball around

Just thought I would share this in case people did not know.

Users who are viewing this thread