New Zealand Tour of Bangladesh October/November 2013

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Love it how our batting suddenly click when McCullum ****s off. Always been a bit of a Munro fan, probably because he plays for Auckland. No where near as much talent as someone like McCullum, but you're going to get 100% from him. Great to see Taylor scoring a hundred as well, he's been there or there about's the whole tour but just kept on getting out at the wrong time. No idea what Rutherford was doing in the team for the first two matches, he's got a List A average of under 20 and just looks clueless in this format.

Bowling wise, I don't really want to be too harsh because I know in New Zealand that attack would be rolling Bangladesh for under 200, but they should definitely be doing better than that considering Bangladesh were without their two best batsmen.

Also is there no speedgun? I'm following on cricinfo because of exams

It wasn't even going to be televised at one stage, so like Ferg says saving money.

Chewie

BCCI President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
so we beat SA and England in away ODI series and lose 3-0 to Bangladesh lol

ferg512

International Coach
Love it how our batting suddenly click when McCullum early Septembers off. Always been a bit of a Munro fan, probably because he plays for Auckland. No where near as much talent as someone like McCullum, but you're going to get 100% from him. Great to see Taylor scoring a hundred as well, he's been there or there about's the whole tour but just kept on getting out at the wrong time. No idea what Rutherford was doing in the team for the first two matches, he's got a List A average of under 20 and just looks clueless in this format.

Bowling wise, I don't really want to be too harsh because I know in New Zealand that attack would be rolling Bangladesh for under 200, but they should definitely be doing better than that considering Bangladesh were without their two best batsmen.

It wasn't even going to be televised at one stage, so like Ferg says saving money.

I've gone back and forth on McCullum but I've finally had enough of the guy once and for all. Its a shame he doesn't just become a T20 freelance really, as I don't think we lose a lot without him out there. Agree about the bowling, which makes Anderson even more impressive for me he was probably the best thing to take out of this whole tour.

zeustrojanstark

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Really feeling bad for the Kiwis. Well done Bangladesh, you people are really evolving as one of the strongest minnows. Kiwis really need to dig up things and find new ways. They are not really the team which was once a very strong unit. They need to find players like Chris Cairns, Stephen Fleming, Shane Bond etc..

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
how are new zealand still above bangladesh in the rankings?

|P|W|L|D|N/R|Win/Loss Ratio
New Zealand|30|10|18|0|2| 0.55 |
Bangladesh|21|10|10|0|1| 1.00 |

bangladesh have a much better record over the last 2 years.

ferg512

International Coach
how are new zealand still above bangladesh in the rankings?

|P|W|L|D|N/R|Win/Loss Ratio
New Zealand|30|10|18|0|2| 0.55 |
Bangladesh|21|10|10|0|1| 1.00 |

bangladesh have a much better record over the last 2 years.

I'm sorry but you are kidding right? Those stats you put up have absolutely no context at all. The fact we are higher might have to do with the fact we have beaten both SA and ENG away from home in the last year while Bangladesh have been beaten by Zimbabwe twice in the last two years.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
no? NZ have also been beaten by those teams, and lost to the west indies, sri lanka and bangladesh (obviously) zimbabwe is the only other team they've beaten in two years.

bangladesh beat india and sri lanka in the asia cup, beat the west indies, drew with sri lanka and beaten you guys. I don't see a whole lot of difference, except they'd need to suffer two consecutive white washes to have as bad a win lose ratio.

ferg512

International Coach
no? NZ have also been beaten by those teams, and lost to the west indies, sri lanka and bangladesh (obviously) zimbabwe is the only other team they've beaten in two years.

bangladesh beat india and sri lanka in the asia cup, beat the west indies, drew with sri lanka and beaten you guys. I don't see a whole lot of difference, except they'd need to suffer two consecutive white washes to have as bad a win lose ratio.

Yeah, but surely winning series is more important than winning games?

----------

Not to mention we won those series away from home (which you seem to completely ignore) which counts for far more than Bangladesh winning a few games at home.

Last edited:

surendar

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
With better records recently against India, SL, Windies and Kiwis definitely has upper hands over England/SA series. Would also be interested to look back at Kiwis record aside Eng/SA series.

Anyways with the spirit these people have shown lately, I only hope that they keep themselves motivated and give a strong challenge in World Cup. I still remembr Pontings' arrogant attitude towards questioning the part by nations like Bangladesh participating in world cups & for that atleast I am supporting Bangla to win such a series down the lane with quoting back the words to the guy who would be having a merry fishing that time. ;)

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
If BCB dared to do that they would be seeing rubble instead of an office in Mirpur on their trip back to Dhaka. And that's a fact.

It might've been that we just weren't going to get it televised over here, the BCB might've been asking too much for it or something. It was a couple of months ago so I don't really remember.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
Yeah, but surely winning series is more important than winning games?

----------

Not to mention we won those series away from home (which you seem to completely ignore) which counts for far more than Bangladesh winning a few games at home.

I was talking about series there, they beat the windies in a series, you in a series, drew 1-1 with sri lanka and finished runners up in a 4 team tournament that included india, the best ODI team in the world.

and yes, you won both away, you then got beat at home. and by the windies, bangladesh and sri lanka in series. I'm not saying it's rubbish or makes it null but it's quite a lot to say it covers being able to lose a third more games than another team and still say you should be ranked above them.

ferg512

International Coach
I was talking about series there, they beat the windies in a series, you in a series, drew 1-1 with sri lanka and finished runners up in a 4 team tournament that included india, the best ODI team in the world.

and yes, you won both away, you then got beat at home. and by the windies, bangladesh and sri lanka in series. I'm not saying it's rubbish or makes it null but it's quite a lot to say it covers being able to lose a third more games than another team and still say you should be ranked above them.

The problem I have is they have played pretty much all their cricket at home apart from a few series they have played in Zimbabwe. I can see where you are coming from but it really does skew results when they are playing the majority of their games at home and we are playing the majority of ours away. Its all well and good playing at home for now but it is not going to help them at all in the world cup which is being played in our backyard finally.

What I am assuming is that the wins against SA and ENG counted for a lot of points as it should, and both those series wins are more impressive than anything Bangladesh has done at home.

----------

In conclusion, yes you probably are right but I just don't agree with them playing all their games at home. It just simply isn't fair and thats why I myself don't even look at the rankings, its the same with what India is doing atm in test cricket. When is the last away series they played? The whole thing is a joke.

Last edited:

surendar

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Home/Away makes difference but in the end, it really depends on how you master your opponent when you play. Especially if country like Bangladesh( very far from developed cricket nation though they have lot of team chemistry ) gets a victory over a well qualified nation - points should go more to Bangladesh, & same should be subtracted for loosing against a nation in lower divisions.

In other words, instead of home/away - we would need to take into considerations, winning against level 1( higher ) team is different from winning against level 2( lower ) team and likewise otherway. Well, Ranking systems have their own calculations which I do not look into either.

It is too early to call Bangladesh, a developed team as they need to prove consistently in bigger levels. But, they deserve motivation from recent performances and I really hope that they follow the paths like Sri Lanka who surprised everyone with WC victory in 1996.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
well it brings in scheduling as well as ranking issues. ferg's points are definitely valid but when a team is dumped with such a schedule there's not much they can do. new zealand can't keep going to bangladesh and losing and come away thinking they're still better than them purely on the conjecture they'd beat them comfortably if they were at home. I mean, that's almost definitely true but the point of competitive sport is it's not played on paper. invite them.

Users who are viewing this thread