November 07 TAOC Video Released !

legend_master

The Art of Cricket Developer
Online Cricket Games Owned
erm, any more comments on the video? Lots of people viewing but not so many giving feedback...?

LM

Golden28

Club Cricketer
Just watched the vid.

WOW!! It looks absolutely fantastic. The new sweep and dancing down the wicket anims look particularly effective.

Loving the many different outcomes of the same shot based on the various modifiers ie pace of ball, timing and confidence. Will add a really 'organic' feel to the gameplay comapared to the more scripted stuff in recent games. The ball physics after being struck look very good with various outcomes possible and when married with the fielder anims will be refreshing to run 1's 2's and 3's on a regular basis.

Cannot wait to see the next update.

KEEP UP THE FANTASTIC WORK!!!!!!!!!!! It is appreciated.

srk121

International Coach
Paul. Couple of feedback on the video.

1. i still think ball physic could be improved. it feels as if the camera is moving not the ball. (hope you know what i mean).

2. i still feel that camera is slightly far away from the ball (after being hit) the focus on the ball from the camera is slightly far that's what i believe. anyone agree?

i am not critisizing but i think these thing could be improved. ;)

lazy_chesnut

International Coach
My two cents are as follows, shot by shot.

0'05" - delivery looks quite slow. Nice shot animation and reaction off the bat. Ball slows down on bouncing too much. Cricket balls lose little speed when bouncing if hit flat (as opposed to being lofted into the air, when they can 'plug' a bit), and conversely seems to roll too easily.

0'18" - delivery looks quite slow again. Same comments for ball speed.

0'26" - looks to hit the ball the right speed for how mistimed it looks. If it goes that slow due to the power bar, I would rethink it a bit. The ball is going like a deab-bat drop into the off side for a single, not just a soft hit, if that makes sense.

0'37" - animation suitable. Again, ball looks to lose a lot of speed when bouncing. Initially you think it will race for 4, but it slows a lot when it bounces.

0'49" - Again, nice shot, looking to race for 4, but slows up (seemingly more on the final bounce, but that just might be optically deceptive)

1'01" - Seems quite gentle for the almighty spank he gives the ball. Unless it's mistimed, it looks like a drop into gully for a single. It looks a bit toey on the bat mind you, so maybe it is a mistime.

1'10" - great animation for the on-drive - the best feel I've seen in any cricket game so far. Again, physics issues - looks like a well hit shot but fails to race away.

1'20" - Good shot animation. Physics issues.

1'31" - Odd animation - looks a bit 'proddy'. Again, ball races away and slows to a dribble.

1'42" - Seems to hit quite high on the bat. If this is the case would have been nice to see the ball pop up a bit more, perhaps square on the off side. But that is one example of what might happen, so can't really say.

1'50" - Bat looks a little light, but I know how hard human anims are to do without mo-cap or rotoscoping. Again, shot seems very soft for a meaningful sweep. I reckon you could hit it 25% harder and still make the single!

1'59" - Better. Physics issues again.

2'11 - Mutts nuts. For that sort of shot the ball reaction as it hits the floor seems more realistic, due to the ball breaking through the surface as it lands from height.

2'21" - Mis-time I presume. Pretty decent. Might want to think about changing direction of mis-hit.

2'28" - Nice again.

2'35" - Good miss. Ball seems to dip rather violently after going past the keeper, however.

2'40" - Nice.

2'48" - Not sure if a mis-hit or a gentle nudge. Ball seems to stick too much in the floor for that shot elevation. I can see that shot racing for four unless the ground is soaked.

2'57" - Looks ok. One of the arsiest shots you'll ever see, though.

3'07" - Nice.

3'11" - Not sure what happened. If the bowler was rubbish and mis bowled it, it should be not very likely to nearly take your toes off in my opinion, else a bad ball results in an unplayable one.

3'16" - Crikey that's quick.

3'20" - Would've loved to see it pulled over mid-wicket on the full, but still a nice variation nevertheless.

3'27" - Seems to miss, though goes for an edge - might be frame rate/resolution though. Think that edge would've more likely gone to second slip based on how full that ball was. I remember KP seemed to have difficulty with balls of that length in Ashes 2005 (esp at the Oval) and kept edging them to 2nd, playing a straight drive.

3'34" - unlikely to see the ball with that much energy having hit the toe of the bat. Still, nice edge variation.

3'42" - Nice miss. Nice to see you've programmed the Geraint Jones/Matt Prior wicketkeeping AI in so realistically.

3'53" - What a heave. Good edge - nice speed, though the gravity seems a little over-egged.

Summary - ball physics could do with a look at, though I would imagine that that's just a few equations that need tweaking. Shot powers might need to be compressed and increased, so the soft 'hits' (not 'defends') go a lot harder, and the hard 'hits' go harder but not my as much. Would love to see a half-volley absolutely pummelled to the fence by someone.

Also, quick idea - a defensive shot (or a soft shot) in certain situations can go the rope I hope. If a ball is very half-volley and clearly worth a bit of spankage, a gentle shot should be able to get the ball to the boundary easily, so that the player doesn't need to risk using a hard shot and maybe missing/edging. Of course, if you need to beat fielders then you may need to leather it, but in first-day-of-a-test-match mode, you wouldn't need to, really.

manee

Chairman of Selectors
Went through each ball like Lazy and totally agree with each of his comments.

gratefuldave54

School Cricketer
Yeah I too think the ball physics need tweaking.The ball seems to slow down too quickly after hitting the ground.Otherwise I think we're on a winner here guys

Banger_attack

School Cricketer
I've just watched the video. I really like the way it's shaping up. The only major criticism I would have is of the sweep shot. I think the batsmen should be getting his front foot across and outside the line of the ball to cover his stumps. At the moment he doesn't really seem to be moving his feet. Apart from that, reps for LM! I particularly liked the charge animations.

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
Just downloaded the vid. Sorry I can't give you an in depth review as I've had a couple of beers. But it looks to be progressing well. I see your fielders are already better than those in ICC3 and they sell that! Just a quick question. Will all balls continue rolling to the boundary (a la BLIC) or will they stop short?

Gilly Fan

Chairman of Selectors
Awesome mate. loving the dance down the pitch and the reverse sweep. Will there be the opportunity of the reverse SLOG sweep, ALA KP style? Maybe you could make it that you have to time it 100% right or you'll top edge it or something like that.

legend_master

The Art of Cricket Developer
Some really good crits there Lazy Chestnut, much appreciated! :cheers

first off, i do agree with most of your points there. I dont believe the video was recorded at 60fps, ill check that - which means its a tad slower than in real time when playing it. Ive been tweaking and perhaps over-tweaking the ball physics for batting, trying to find a realistic medium. Thankfully most of yourpoints are easy enough to fix, being simple equation modifications, adding a couple of values here and there. One of the reasons i almost deliberately slowed shots down was because im constantly mindful of shots racing to the boundary all the time like BLIC and EA. I hate how every shot goes for 4. So ive perhaps over-compensated for this by slowing it down a bit too much. Its a real fine line between realism and gameplay, especially concerning timing, mishits and ball velocity. But going through ball by ball checking your comments, i can definately agree on most things, meaning i will be reducing the drop in velocity after the first bounce and perhaps decreasing the ground friction for when the ball is rolling.

Currently when there is a mishit, there are several things that can happen, which explains some of the comments you made about some shots. It can be reduced in speed substantially, can go off in a different direction (perhaps not as dramatic as it could be) or get more air than expected, or combinations of all of those factors. All of these can occur in varying degrees. So when the powerbar is maxed out and the resulting shot is weak and disproportionate, it will be due to a mishit.

Srk121, cant say i agree with you on the camera movement stuff...could just be the video style?? But perhaps they are a little far away, this is an easy enough fix...ill look to change this pretty soon and see how it pans out.

Kev, not all balls will roll to the boundary - also remember the outfield speed for each ground will effect the amount of friction applied to the rolling ball

Banger, the sweep shot can be easily tweaked next time i address the animations...i think its ok for the time being tho, however ill certainly look to fix this.

Gilly, not sure ill be able to include that - pretty rare to see it to be honest, despite being a cool shot...time permitting on this one...

LM

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
Nice video. The dance down the pitch shots were nice. Cool video :cool:

Banger_attack

School Cricketer
Hey LM, I just thought I'd mention how nice it is to see such a prompt response to everybody's comments. Incorporating feedback from the people who will be playing the game is definitely going to help make it the best cricket game ever! I'm sure everyone on the forum would agree that it's great to have someone making a cricket game that cares so much about the views of the players!

Users who are viewing this thread