Pakistan in South Africa

Kelp

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
like they always say, statistics dont mean a thing, its what the player does on the field that matters, Sami was quite unlucky because of bad fielding, it seems that pace is hard on the fielders as well

Gunner786

Panel of Selectors
puddleduck said:
You talking about this series Gambino? -

Name______________Mat___O_____M___R___W__Ave__Best__5_10_SR__Econ
Mohammad Sami______3___109.3__15__466__8__58.25_3-100_-__-_82.1_4.25

The only person who should be terrified looking at that is a Pakistan fan!
is ian bell playing in the windies team?

when did that happen?

also add to the fact

sehwag was dropped off sami and went on to make 309

dravid was dropped of sami in his 20's and mande 270

bell was dropped ff sami and went on to make his 3rd hundred in 3 tests matches

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
What's Windies got to do with anything? Those stats I posted are from the same tour you were talking about against England. So that happened all of about 6 months ago.

You see it's so easy to complain about a dropped catch or poor umpire decision, but the difference between a McGrath, Pollock, Ahktar and other good test match bowlers and someone useless like Sami, is that they all create more chances, it's not a case of going at 5 an over, suddenly bowling a rare good ball and the chance not being taken for them. It's pressure that's built, and then a couple of chances and they get their wicket regardless.

Gunner786

Panel of Selectors
seems like you have been under the impression that i was defending his test career,

im sopecifically talking about his odi career but added ina few test stats too

hes still a very good odi bowler

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
gambino said:
seems like you have been under the impression that i was defending his test career,

im sopecifically talking about his odi career but added ina few test stats too

hes still a very good odi bowler

Must be going through a massive form slump then because since the Champions Trophy in 2004 he has only had a bowling average below 30 once, and his lowest economy rate has been 4.19, going over 5 on 4 out of the 7 occassions.

Gunner786

Panel of Selectors
puddleduck said:
Must be going through a massive form slump then because since the Champions Trophy in 2004 he has only had a bowling average below 30 once, and his lowest economy rate has been 4.19, going over 5 on 4 out of the 7 occassions.
i didnt mention any specific time slot

i meant over all career

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
gambino said:
i didnt mention any specific time slot

i meant over all career

You actually said, "he's still a very good odi bowler" which implied you meant today and now. Anyway this is a fairly pointless discussion, no matter what is said you have some excuse to try and deflect the point, and nothing but random sweeping statements that have no proof to back them up.

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
lol well aditya says that Shoib wont bother the south african battsman more than the current indian pace attack but he seemed to bother the england ODI batsman when he came back still lacking match fitness. im sorry but Shoaib is still faster than any of the current Indian pacers and will be more efective when the time comes. also why u guys arguing about a bowler that wont be playing in the sereis, honestly my bigest problem is someone saying that the Indian pace attack is more effective than Pakistans.

aditya123

National Board President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
gambino said:
forget any pace bowler of india!

combine the whole pace attack speed and they will still be 5mph short of shoaibs speed
i`d take that as long as the wickets come

Tell me what you`d prefer, a fastest bowling attack in the world which goes at 5 R.P.Oor a slow attack which takes wickets ?

I`d pretty much go with the second one.

Not for a moment do I suggest that the Pakistani attack is weaker than the Indian one.

Pak_cricketer

Chairman of Selectors
But the slow attack doesn't always take wickets.. In south Africa Ntini and Nel show thta if you have pace it can be a helpful tool.

aditya123

National Board President
Pak_cricketer said:
But the slow attack doesn't always take wickets.. In south Africa Ntini and Nel show thta if you have pace it can be a helpful tool.
Actually the word `slow` used was a relative term.
I never advocated for a 120 kph attack.

The speed that the Indian bowlers bowl or the great Glen McGrath operates is good enough if they move the ball whereas if a bowler bowls at 150 kph without movement , it will not get top batsmen out regularly .
That is what is happening with Sami.
He is a skiddy bowler but he has to move the ball.
The last time I remember him looking lethal was against NZ in NZ and that is because the conditions also helped him to move the ball.

You may point out an odd instance of him getting a good batsman out with a ripper but that is not good enough at the test level as his record shows.
Look at a bowler from your own side in Md.Asif .
He is`nt what you call a tearaway quick , is he ?
But look at how successful he has been even at his pace.
The reason being his ability to move the ball of the deck.

On good slow batting tracks in the subcontinent, the quick bowlers come nicely onto the bat making it easy for the batsmen .
That is where a bowler who can extract movement will be useful.

Sami is just the type of bowler strokemakers like and hence him getting thrashed by the likes of Sehwag, Dhoni when India toured Pakistan in 2004 and 2006.
The same V.Sehwag was troubled quite a bit by Asif and Rana Naved.

I hope this explains my point.

Last edited:

manee

Chairman of Selectors
OK, enough India Vs Pakistan nonsense.

Pakistan have quick bowlers, South Africa have fast pitches. Either Pakistans bowlers will be too quick to handle, or South Africa will be used to their fast pitches and hence not be in such a problem. Only time will tell.

aditya123

National Board President
manee said:
OK, enough India Vs Pakistan nonsense.

Pakistan have quick bowlers, South Africa have fast pitches. Either Pakistans bowlers will be too quick to handle, or South Africa will be used to their fast pitches and hence not be in such a problem. Only time will tell.
it wasn`t India v Pak nonesense
It was`nt nonsense actually.
Was quite a sensible discussion.

Users who are viewing this thread