Pakistan's tour of New Zealand - Jan 2018

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Well that was a superb performance from the lower order. As others have I said I will disagree that CT win was not a fluke. Pakistan after the initial loss against India just got better in the tournament. Now that tournament is of the past. Obviously Indians have already removed it from their memory for the obvious reasons, its time for Pakistani's to let go of it. Yes it might be the biggest achievement since the T20 WC win and even bigger because it was against India but these losses will only bring back critiques to point how fluke it was.

England once were similar to Pakistan with old horses such as Bell and others in the side. They made a decision past 2015 WC and look at what the ODI squad looks now. Pakistan need to make similar decisions. But knowing its an Asian country filled with politics I do not see it happen until a big set back happens in 2019 WC.

By saying it was a 'fluke' does not imply that they did not deserve to win. They were exceptional and played the big moments brilliantly. Their batting, for once stood up. I think your bowling is still one of the best in the world and that kid Shadab Khan is outwardly and probably the best young cricketer in the world.

You need to move past the likes of Hafeez, Azhar Ali etc. I know Azhar didn't play all games but he's still part of their plans. Just look at how well the youth is batting. Give them time, stop the chopping and changing. I also don't get why Sarfaraz bats so low down the order.

I think Pak will be a force in the 19 WC provided they pick the right blokes. Same goes for India. Look at the clowns we have wearing national colours.

And I personally will never forget the final, much like all INDO-PAK encounters. They're our Ashes.

Rehan_24

Panel of Selectors
As far as fans are concerned they have forgotten CT, calling it a fluke wont change the fact though. If that is the case, then one can call 92 world cup fluke as well. Pakistan has always played like this, being unpredictable, it has disadvantages but this is what the team has offered to world cricket.

Anyway, on the other hand every observation differs. I feel that sohail khan and abbas are lot better than Yamin. Yamin didnt feel to me an international cricket material. I liked fahim ashraf more as a future all rounder.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
As far as fans are concerned they have forgotten CT, calling it a fluke wont change the fact though. If that is the case, then one can call 92 world cup fluke as well. Pakistan has always played like this, being unpredictable, it has disadvantages but this is what the team has offered to world cricket.

Anyway, on the other hand every observation differs. I feel that sohail khan and abbas are lot better than Yamin. Yamin didnt feel to me an international cricket material. I liked fahim ashraf more as a future all rounder.

Saying they have always been unpredictable is not an excuse. The 92 was not a fluke, it was the vision of a captain. In that period 92-99 Pakistan was easily the best team in the world in all conditions. Their bowlers and all rounders were second to none and while they didn't have one great batsman after another they had 2-3 guys who were as good as anyone in the world and others that would fight till the cows came home.

I see the same fight in this youth and while Hafeez and Ali are able cricketers they've never had a penchant for the big moments in limited overs. Like I said, there is a lot of talent on display in the Pakistan limited overs team and they will be serious challengers for the title if they're well managed and led for 2019. What I will again re-iterate with the fluke comment is that post 99 Pakistan have been very inconsistent and while sometimes these things can happen it doesn't need to become the brand of cricket for a nation. I have seen a lot of solid, consistent and world beating guys in the 90's all play in the same team to know that this trait is not a charm, but a curse. Sure, you will win a few big series because of the raw talent but when that combines with good management and strong leadership, it leads to consistent success. That was well on show by the Pakistanis in the 90's.

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
You need to move past the likes of Hafeez, Azhar Ali etc. I know Azhar didn't play all games but he's still part of their plans. Just look at how well the youth is batting. Give them time, stop the chopping and changing. I also don't get why Sarfaraz bats so low down the order.

No one is going to disagree with that (barring maybe Hafeez and Azhar Ali themselves). At the end of the day, it comes down to how Pakistan management see themselves going into the WC19.

I assume that they want to have that mixture of seniors and youth, which may not be the most ideal for them to pursue. Hafeez is useless now that he can't contribute his 10 overs and definitely not worth playing in swinging UK conditions. Azhar has and will always be a test player (like Pujara) and hence forcing him to play ODI's as an opener is a waste of space or more importantly, resources.

Shoaib Malik falls into a weird category. Not only can contribute with the ball (which for some reason Sarfaraz is afraid of allowing), he has been a perfect middle order player in Asia. But overseas seems like a different story altogether.

At the end of the day Pakistan is stuck in this weird situation where they have talent and the time to mature an ideal match-winning side for the future, but they seem happy to beat a dead horse.

My Ideal Line-up for 2018/19 (ODI):

1. Fakhar Zaman
2. Imam ul Haq/Umar Amin (A genuine stroke playing opener) - Maybe even Sarfaraz Ahmad
3. Babar Azam
4. Sarfaraz Ahmad (+)
5. Haris Sohail (needs to be taught how to rotate the strike a little better and maybe lose a little weight)
6. Shoaib Malik/Mohammad Rizwan (Another genuine batman - someone who comes in around 35 over and finishes off games -ala Dhoni)
7. Shadab Khan
8. Fahim Ashraf
9. Hasan Ali
10. Mohammad Amir/ Junaid Khan
11. Usman Shinwari/ Shaheen Afridi (genuine pace option - someone who can bowl 145+ anytime)

Bench Strength: Aamer Yamin, Mohammad Nawaz, Mohammad Asghar

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
Both of these guys have been under-performing for a while, I would like to see Mir Hamza or Sadaf instead of them.

I have a strong feeling Sadaf won't ever make it to International Cricket (Same for Fawad Alam) due to friction caused by the board. Talent is oozing out of Pakistani circuit (especially through PSL - as this is the only thing I keep up with). I mean we still have the likes of Usama Mir, Amad Butt, Irfan Jr (to name a few of the top of my head).

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Fahim Ashraf.. my lord that kid can play. Only in India/Pakistan can a talent like that be wasted.

Rehan_24

Panel of Selectors
Saying they have always been unpredictable is not an excuse. The 92 was not a fluke, it was the vision of a captain. In that period 92-99 Pakistan was easily the best team in the world in all conditions. Their bowlers and all rounders were second to none and while they didn't have one great batsman after another they had 2-3 guys who were as good as anyone in the world and others that would fight till the cows came home.

I see the same fight in this youth and while Hafeez and Ali are able cricketers they've never had a penchant for the big moments in limited overs. Like I said, there is a lot of talent on display in the Pakistan limited overs team and they will be serious challengers for the title if they're well managed and led for 2019. What I will again re-iterate with the fluke comment is that post 99 Pakistan have been very inconsistent and while sometimes these things can happen it doesn't need to become the brand of cricket for a nation. I have seen a lot of solid, consistent and world beating guys in the 90's all play in the same team to know that this trait is not a charm, but a curse. Sure, you will win a few big series because of the raw talent but when that combines with good management and strong leadership, it leads to consistent success. That was well on show by the Pakistanis in the 90's.

In many cases, Luck played part in 1992 World Cup despite the vision of captain and team was quite strong at that time, Pakistan's brand of cricket had always been best when they are cornered. In CT, The bowling can never be said as a fluke, In fact, I would call it greater determination and passion to win the tournament. The team spirit was immensely high, Matches were won out of performances rather than on the stroke of luck of Rain or drawn matches by other teams unlike 1992. The bowling from Junaid and Hasan reminded ones the 90's era of amazing bowling when teams used to struggle against such bowling. It was simply phenomenal performance overall in my opinion.

While I agree with your comments regarding dropping some senior players and investing well in this talent which can greatly beneficial in the coming WC 19. But on a realistic grounds, I am afraid Malik, Hafeez will be there around as well as you can't rid of Azhar Ali...... To more damage, I am afraid of Salman Butt's comeback as well.....

Last edited:

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
New format same old problems for Pakistan.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
To be honest this pitch is shit for a T20 format perspective

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
Pakistan has clearly wanted to get rid of the unpredictable tag with this series, by being consistently dreadful.

I guess that's a positive to take away from this game.

Rehan_24

Panel of Selectors
Kinda expected. Players are clearly out of form. Though I wont support a big surgery except the exclusion of azhar, hafeez and malik. For T20, its just a matter of time, the form will be back.

Users who are viewing this thread