Patch 3 Requests/Wishlist

inertSpark

Associate Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Disagreed entirely - the fielding radar isn't needed at all. I've barely noticed its absence.

Absolutely, and the vast majority of people (by virtue of the fact barely anyone has demanded a radar) are happy that Big Ant have taken the path they chose with this one. The absence of a radar provokes the player to think like a cricketer, and work for their runs, rather than instantly knowing exactly where to hit the ball every time. This is key - to think like a cricketer and to feel like playing a realistic game of cricket. So let's say we get the radar. Then what? Bowling markers on the floor? It completely goes against the concept that Big Ant have worked so hard to bring to us.

Personally I love having to work for my runs. I love the tension of the AI setting me the challenge by drawing fielders in close with mop-up guys round the outside. On legend+no hud its unbelievably tense to know that the only runs you'll get is by lifting the ball up over the top, knowing that you'll have to strike the ball well, or you're out.

Last edited:

bahnzo

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
The fielding radar is missing because its a design decision, so no, the game does not need a fielding radar. There's nothing to fix if it was never intended in the first place. You wanting one does not equal the same thing as the game needing to have one. I appreciate that this is a requests thread, but you called it an oversight, but it really isn't.

You could always turn it off if you don't like it? I don't get people who think their way to play a game is the only way.

And I'm new, so I might have missed someone from the game saying it's a design decision, is that true?

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
Unfortunately I can't ever see it competing with Fifa, unless Big Ant teams up with a megabucks publisher, which wouldn't be a good thing in my book as the game would become less about pleasing the fans and more about the bottom line for the publisher...

Whatever it takes for a wider selection of umpire hosiery. Whatever it takes.

bahnzo

Club Captain
The absence of a radar provokes the player to think like a cricketer, and work for their runs, rather than instantly knowing exactly where to hit the ball every time. This is key - to think like a cricketer and to feel like playing a realistic game of cricket.

I don't see how having a radar makes one bit of difference over how you choose shots? It only makes it easier to determine where the fielders are at a quick glance, instead of taking 5 secs potentially every ball to do the same thing. You keep referring to it like it's some kind of disease, and because you don't want to use, it makes you somehow a more "pure" player or something. That's hogwash. It's a simple feature, nothing more. Get off your high horse....

inertSpark

Associate Captain
Get off your high horse....

You've made your points, and I've made mine. You can't expect me to climb down from my position on this because we just happen to disagree. That's not how it works.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
You've made your points, and I've made mine. You can't expect me to climb down from my position on this because we just happen to disagree. That's not how it works.

Luckily Big Ant disagreed about fielding radar as well, so that's all that matters...

bahnzo

Club Captain

Not quite. Please explain to me how a radar makes a change in batting? In your comments against it, you talk about how cricket requires intelligence, how does a radar change that? You talk about wanting to work for runs. How does it change that? Does having a radar magically change the CPU's positions or their abilities?

How does a radar make any difference at all in how you play the game? It changes nothing, besides making it easier to see fielding positions at a glance. But you're making it out like a radar suddenly makes people stupid and lazy. How so?

I admit using the word "criminal" might've been a little strong and/or poor word choice. But as I said, sometime you need to make compromises in reality when it comes to a computer game. The opportunity to have (or turn off/on) a radar would be a nice addition.

And: you can turn it off if you don't like it. <-----(you can turn it off if you don't like it).

inertSpark

Associate Captain
Not quite. Please explain to me how a radar makes a change in batting? In your comments against it, you talk about how cricket requires intelligence, how does a radar change that? You talk about wanting to work for runs. How does it change that? Does having a radar magically change the CPU's positions or their abilities?

How does a radar make any difference at all in how you play the game? It changes nothing, besides making it easier to see fielding positions at a glance. But you're making it out like a radar suddenly makes people stupid and lazy. How so?

I admit using the word "criminal" might've been a little strong and/or poor word choice. But as I said, sometime you need to make compromises in reality when it comes to a computer game. The opportunity to have (or turn off/on) a radar would be a nice addition.

And: you can turn it off if you don't like it. <-----(you can turn it off if you don't like it).

That's the point! It makes it too easy to score runs!

With a radar, you can see exactly where the gaps are, and exactly where to hit the ball over the fielders in order to get a boundary virtually every delivery. This is and always was a problem with cricket games until now. By instead looking through the batsman's eyes, the game is simulating the judgement that one must apply in real life in order to choose the shot carefully. They even made that easy to interpret by also including labels showing which fielding positions are out there!

Big Ant marketed this game as having no bowling markers and radar, as a selling point because its making a clean break from the way cricket games used to be! If its as game breaking to you are making out, then perhaps this game isn't for you. I don't mean this sarcastically, I am genuinely suggesting that this isn't the game you want it to be.

bahnzo

Club Captain
That's the point! It makes it too easy to score runs!

With a radar, you can see exactly where the gaps are, and exactly where to hit the ball over the fielders in order to get a boundary virtually every delivery. This is and always was a problem with cricket games until now. By instead looking through the batsman's eyes, the game is simulating the judgement that one must apply in real life in order to choose the shot carefully. They even made that easy to interpret by also including labels showing which fielding positions are out there!

Err no, it doesn't. It doesn't change where those fielders are. I can tell just as easy their positions, I just have to constantly take 5 seconds to do so. It doesn't change the gameplay one iota. Not one. Those gaps are still there, radar or not. I just don't have to (unrealistically) break up the flow of the play to look at them with a radar.

I get it, you play in pro mode with legend settings, etc. I'm sure we should all play that way (I notice you and MasterBlaster making sure on every thread to mention you play w/o the aides on) if you had your way. But as ashamed as it seems I should feel, I don't want to play that way, can't and don't have the time I suppose to get that good. How does that impact you? Again, I just can't figure out people who think everyone else should play a game the same way they do.

Like I said, you could turn it off if you don't like it?

inertSpark

Associate Captain
What do you get, exactly? I have literally only just started playing Legend mode with no HUD. I'm not sure how that even relates to the discussion. The lack of a fielding radar seemed right on amateur, and it seems even more right to me now. It's not an oversight that the radar isnt there. The game has been out for about 5 months, and in that time they could have added it at any time in one of the multiple patches they've released if they felt it was right for the game.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
IMO Big Ant should add an optional (note: keyword here is 'optional) field radar which can be turned on or off. If you think batting is made easier by looking at the radar and you want a hardcore experience, simply turn it off but it will allow other folks to turn on the feature they would prefer to have. IMO the current implementation doesn't make it any harder to nail the gaps - I still know where the gaps are.

The issue I have is that I have to spend 4-5 secs every delivery to scan the field whereas it will take me no additional time to get the info using a radar. Batting will remain as easy or difficult as you don't have the 'shot placement' thingy in the game a la IC 2010 or AC09. However, those 4-5 secs will help me save quite a bit of playing time as I don't get too much time with the game. You have to scan the field every delivery as the AI changes the field without the field change cut scene on occasions.

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
Perhaps having a better notification when the field has changed: perhaps something on the TV overlay saying "field change" or something? That's the real problem: since now you don't really know when the field has been changed which will probably mean that you'll miss someone who's sneaked into that gap that you've nailed a few times...

inertSpark

Associate Captain
Perhaps having a better notification when the field has changed: perhaps something on the TV overlay saying "field change" or something? That's the real problem: since now you don't really know when the field has been changed which will probably mean that you'll miss someone who's sneaked into that gap that you've nailed a few times...

I'm sure someone said a while ago that Big Ant Studios are looking into something like this.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4

Even if there's a notification, what's the harm in having a field radar option? It doesn't impact folks who don't want to use it and makes the game more accessible for others. I don't see any downside at all if radar is added. It will help folks save time and hurry the matches along which is what plenty of folks prefer.

Users who are viewing this thread