" Piracy "

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
mukund_nadkarni said:
That if expecting other people to respect his right to earn a livelihood is correct then it is only fair to expect a similar response from him.

The software I make isn't the matter of your livelihood mate. Do playing games help your living? Does watching downloaded movies help your living? I'm not being inconsiderate, I'm just being watchful of my possesions.

And in situations where my software does help your living. Lets take a common example. I make Adobe Photoshop.

Many people use it to make graphics or do whatever, and earn and hence make a living. How do I make a living? I certainly don't do dishes, I make a living by the earnings I get from the software, on which I spent my countless hours which I might've also used to do dishes and get an earning. So what happens, in case those graphic designers can't pay me the money I've set on it? They download it.

What happens though? I could've done, say dishes in a restaurant worth $1000 in the production time. But I only got $100 from the few people that bought the software. That puts me in the loss, of a hefty $900. What could've I done with those $900? Well loads, and I don't need explanation here. My livelihood is destroyed. Now who's being inconsiderate here?

And what did those people who pirated it do? They downloaded my software, for free, made graphics out of those, and actually earnt from it - and buy all those things I SHOULD'VE bought. Making the software was MY special property, not every of those graphic designers can make a software. Just like the graphics the designers make are their property.

What happens in the end? I get frustrated and stop making the software. My livelihood is destroyed as I have practically nothing to do. Even if not so extreme, I get back to do dishes, and kill my special abilities. Who was the culprit here?

And lets see, what if those $900 actually didn't come to me as people downloaded open source software like Gimp? Don't I die now? Well I do take a loss, but it makes me make better software as I'll know that my better software will get rewarded.

Things are pretty complex, and to understand you have to delve deep into what happens. This is what I tried here.

khan31

International Coach
I would steal a car. I have stolen handbags/wallets. I do 'steal' films.

All for the right reasons though.

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I can understand food, but only is circumstances involving starving people in certain places around the globe but a car or film? I don't quite think so.

Highlander999

ICC President
I would steal a car.

If anyone stole my car and I found out who it was, I would get my mate from Glasgow to get some of his friends on the wrong side, to deal with him. Anyone who steals is just a pathetic piece of scum and needs to be locked away.

jordox

International Cricketer
Eh, Piracy is a difficult one. It really just comes down to laziness. A few years back, buying CDs was the norm, now the norm is to just download from x site. People don't see it as stealing though, but I guess thats why the government are trying to remind them it is in some countries.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
jordox said:
Eh, Piracy is a difficult one. It really just comes down to laziness. A few years back, buying CDs was the norm, now the norm is to just download from LimeWire or something like that. People don't see it as stealing though, but I guess thats why the government are trying to remind them it is in some countries.

Well if laziness is the case then there sure are services where you can buy online and download it, just like you do from limewire, but this time legitimately and rewarding the developer for what he's made. Laziness is no reason for piracy.

jordox

International Cricketer
Well if laziness is the case then there sure are services where you can buy online and download it, just like you do from limewire, but this time legitimately and rewarding the developer for what he's made. Laziness is no reason for piracy.

Well in that case, it's solely the money. If you are being charged $1 dollar for every song on Itunes, and it's free from x site, the majority of people will just download it from x site. It's slightly quicker and it doesn't cost anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
Well in that case, it's solely the money. If you are being charged $1 dollar for every song on Itunes, and it's free from Limewire, the majority of people will just download it from Limewire. It's slightly quicker and it doesn't cost anything.
Yeah, so that's piracy, because you deprived the song maker his money, which he deserved to bring to you the entertainment you had from it. This is moral value, not a physical value.

jordox

International Cricketer
Yeah, so that's piracy, because you deprived the song maker his money, which he deserved to bring to you the entertainment you had from it. This is moral value, not a physical value.

But most of the songs I download aren't really from artists I greatly admire. They are normally just the odd song that I like or something random. I don't see the sense in paying a dollar to listen to a song I might only listen to a few times, when I could just get it for free.

To bands I do enjoy greatly, well yes, then I would just buy their album.

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
jordox said:
But most of the songs I download aren't really from artists I greatly admire. They are normally just the odd song that I like or something random. I don't see the sense in paying a dollar to listen to a song I might only listen to a few times, when I could just get it for free.

You listened for a few times, you need to buy it. If you want to travel to some country abroad for a few times, what do you do, steal a plane?

Sureshot

Executive member
Doesn't matter whether you listen to it for half a millisecond or 3 hours. You want it, you pay the full price, how much use you get out of it isn't relevant to the legality of it.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
I was thinking about something today...what about Radio?

As it stands, Music plays on free-to-air radio. Anyone can listen to it, and anyone can record it.

So say you get a few tape cassettes and a recorder, and spend a few days listening to the radio. Insert your cassette into the radio/recorder, wait for your favourite tune, hit record, pause when it is over, hit record for the next tune, etc.

Eventually, you'll have you favourite songs in a format where you can listen to them as many times as you want, without having to pay a dime for them.

Isn't this piracy? And isn't this illegal? If so, aren't radios are illegal?

The same could be said for TV and Movies. Channel 33 (Dubai One) is a public access channel, free to every home in Dubai. It occasionally shows movies, ones which are a year or so hold. If you have a VCR and some free cassettes, you can record these movies as they air, and watch them as many times as you want for free. You have obtained it for free. Is it piracy?

Users who are viewing this thread