Rahul Dravid steps down-What next ?

Dhoni is India's new captain, was it the right choice?

• No, Yuvraj should be captain

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, someone else should captain (please specify)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

surendar

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Dhoni can't be a good captain. Besides, its an insult to Yuvraj who has performed better for India over a period of time. But lets see how this one pans out.

Is it just we who take the issues in hyped manner? :p

I don't see in any angle that its going to be a insult to Yuvraj who has been the appointed as vice captain. All -- Yuvi, Dhoni, Sehwag, Pathan are all on the same track where some survived/surviving still by their excellent performances and some fighting to survive wanting to put an excellent display. Dhoni is nowhere lesser or greater than Yuvi & vice versa and both have played many match winning knocks.

Infact, Yuvraj Singh in some presentation ceremonies ( atleast in couple of match presentation which i saw ) have said,

" Whenever Dhoni joins me at the crease, i will just shut up and watch him play all over. " ;)

harishankar

Panel of Selectors
India
CSK
Profile Flag
India
Yuvraj is a far better batsman than Dhoni. Yuvraj has the technique to play strokes, Dhoni has only raw power, no footwork and finds it harder to hit these days when bowlers bowl at his body (rib cage). Yuvraj can hook and pull well.

I would trust Yuvraj to win more matches than Dhoni. And he definitely has the right personality for being India's captain.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Wait, so for the last 12 page you've bee banging on about how it has to be Dhoni or Yuvaj, and when they actually appoint one of them, you say it was the wrong decision?

Well,actually the thread was initially named " Should Rahul Dravid Step Down ?"
Later when he did,we merged two threads and so the discussions have turned to whether Yuvi or Mahi is right or wrong !

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
I like Dhoni as skipper over Yuvi. Dhoni is cool, calm, collected, and I always felt keepers make great skippers as they have a great view of the action.

I still want Kaif back in the team, and within a few months, Dhoni hands the captaincy over to him. But even if that doesn't happen, youth is the way to go and Dhoni is probably the best choice they could have made. For ODIs. Not Tests. Tests need an experienced head.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
And to think that this buy basically gave away the WC for us when he got those two ducks is being appointed captain like 6 months later.
Pathetic.

.Mob

International Coach
Everyone has their bad days, you can't blame just Dhoni's failure at the WC for India going out. :laugh

You guys need to give him a chance, if he fails then yes, get Yuvi in there.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
And to think that this buy basically gave away the WC for us when he got those two ducks is being appointed captain like 6 months later.
Pathetic.

So what? He didnt give away the cup for us alone. The whole team played badly, and should take the blame for the WC fiasco. He has learnt from it, and has showed promising signs of captaining the team well.

surendar

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
India
Yuvraj is a far better batsman than Dhoni. Yuvraj has the technique to play strokes, Dhoni has only raw power, no footwork and finds it harder to hit these days when bowlers bowl at his body (rib cage). Yuvraj can hook and pull well.

I would trust Yuvraj to win more matches than Dhoni. And he definitely has the right personality for being India's captain.

Right.. Many people simply fail to accept Dhoni as a batsman like we do for Yuvraj or other batsmen.

"no power and finds it harder to hit these days " ???

Are you sure about this statement? He rarely go for that big hit when bowled around rib cage because that situation demanded him to do so. In one of the recent matches against England, he kept very quiet initially, and when he realised that there was just one wicket left, he started smashing the same good ones which he was defending earlier. It clearly indicates that he is well aware of when to raise the game and when to maintain patience.

This simply shows the maturity which he has learnt and not the decrease in power ability. Ofcourse, he is still on learning curve. Just give him some time. He is an excellent learner and not like our bowlers who always fail to produce basic yorkers. :p

Pathetic.

As if our dear bowlers were excellent in that WCup. That was entirely a team's failure.. Not a single man's failure. Our bowlers even now are struggling to get the ball right. This is the most pathetic situation for any international cricket team. I would simply say, Ireland's bowling is far far better than India's bowling.:cool:

harishankar

Panel of Selectors
India
CSK
Profile Flag
India
Surendar, you're right about Dhoni "playing to situation", but I still feel his technique prevents him from maximizing his ability. At least he should definitely play below Yuvraj in the batting order.

His feet are glued to the crease and he just hits down the ground with immense power and if bowlers bowl to their field, he can be curtailed at long on and long off.

On the other hand, as we saw with Yuvraj, he can score by playing proper cricketing shots and play them brilliantly as we saw his 6 sixes in an over.

Unless i see a remarkable change in Dhoni's technique, I still predict he cannot be as effective a hitter as he used to be. Bowlers have kind of figured out his limitations and he needs to reinvent his batting.

Or maybe go lower down the order and give himself the best chance of hitting out when the situation demands big hitting right off the bat.

Last edited:

surendar

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
India
Unless i see a remarkable change in Dhoni's technique, I still predict he cannot be as effective a hitter as he used to be. Bowlers have kind of figured out his limitations and he needs to reinvent his batting.

Or maybe go lower down the order and give himself the best chance of hitting out when the situation demands big hitting right off the bat.

Why you want Dhoni to play the role of hitter? I would like to see him as a true matured batsman in the future not just a hitter. The former would definitely make him shine for long time than the latter(hitter).

Only improvement i want to see in Dhoni is, " Keeping! " I agree that he is not the best keepers for India.. but he is showing some signs to improve it. With captaincy now, its going to be interesting to see his new role in full 50 overs game.

Thats why, i said earlier, lets wait and see what he does.. If he fails, definitely Yuvi is going to be the next choice.

I don't know how many of you noticed yesterday during the toss against England.. He said with great confidence, " Pretty much we know their strategies. " I liked the way he expressed his confidence. :)

harishankar

Panel of Selectors
India
CSK
Profile Flag
India
He carries himself decently. I too agree that his keeping needs work.

As far as big hitting goes, I hate to see him scratching around at the top of the order. We have the batsmen who can play in that situation. We need Dhoni to come in at #6 so that we have somebody who can take control in the second half of a ODI innings.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Pathetic.

What did Sachin Tendulkar do at the World Cup ?
How stupid was Dravid's captaincy there ?

Well,in that case,go in for a completely new team,why select those who played at the World Cup ?

harishankar

Panel of Selectors
India
CSK
Profile Flag
India

Well,in that case,go in for a completely new team,why select those who played at the World Cup ?

It was such a crap World Cup for India so I think the selectors should just forget that and pick players on current performance. Obviously the team needed an overhaul after that disastrous performance, but under a new captain a younger team has a great chance of making amends.

surendar

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
India

Why people fail to realize that cricket is a team game rather than a single man's game. The WCup we had in 2007 is the worst experience for India and entirely a total team's failure.

Lets just forget those bad memories and look ahead for the upcoming series. There are even more serious issues for India rather than questioning the WCup performances. The bowling has been a big mess for us right from DLF cup to till the current series which needs immediate attention.

Whatever and whoever( Dhoni or Yuvi or Dravid or Dada or etc) we may have as a captain, whatever strong batsmen we may have, but with just a feeble bowling, there is going to be more enjoyment for the opponents. Unlucky Ponting to miss the Indian series... or we would have seen a repeat of 2003 finals every match with our poor bowling standards. :p

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
It was such a crap World Cup for India so I think the selectors should just forget that and pick players on current performance. Obviously the team needed an overhaul after that disastrous performance, but under a new captain a younger team has a great chance of making amends.

Why people fail to realize that cricket is a team game rather than a single man's game. The WCup we had in 2007 is the worst experience for India and entirely a total team's failure.

My post was just to retaliate Cricketman93 who seems to think that Ms Dhoni alone was responsible.The players I mentioned were just to cite the examples.
:happy

Users who are viewing this thread