Ricky Ponting rates Lara above Tendulkar

S

Satan666

Well there's one thing most of us will agree on............
At least ponting and lara knew when to call it a day. You didn't see them playing long long after their best days were behind them. Unlike mr.tendulkar. :thumbs

Wow, magnificent post! Post of the year. Couldn't agree more mate.

----------

Nothing can beat the West Indies bowling attack in the 1970s mate!

Yeah the West Indian bowling attack of the 80's can beat them silly!

zeustrojanstark

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I beg to agree with them my dear friend, it is time for the little master to call it a day.

I have told that too.I said it was very obvious that he should go,i did not find anything so amazing in what he said.Please dont jump into conclusions without reading my previous comments mate!

rocklara

International Coach
I have told that too.I said it was very obvious that he should go,i did not find anything so amazing in what he said.Please dont jump into conclusions without reading my previous comments mate!

I really did enjoy his batting though :-) He and Lara were the best I ever witnessed, and I am proud to say I love the era of the 90s and 2000s. The art of batsmanship cannot be compared to the era of ST and BL.

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
It is Ponting's view and i respect it but i do not accept it.Sachin was by far the best batsman of the era,only Ponting follows him very very close.Lara is a great legend but he does not come anywhere close to Ponting or Tendulkar.I dont remember Lara trashing even the Indian bowlers.

I tend to agree with this. Lara was a terrific batsman, a true great but I'd rate both Tendulkar and Ponting above him. Ponting was always my favourite and every time I went out to bat at school/club grade cricket I'd want to do it like Ponting. Objectively speaking I'd rate them as:

Tendulkar
Ponting
Lara

But my personal favourite will always be one Ricky Ponting.

Samuels

Rally Round The West Indies
WI....
Profile Flag
West Indies
I'd say Lara was much better batsman than Tendulkar when it came to playing long innings in tests. That said, the latter was light years better in ODIs. Maybe that has do with Tendulkar's scoring rate back in the late 90s when he used to get up to 50 in a flash. That helps a lot in ODIs but not much in the tests.

zeustrojanstark

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
I tend to agree with this. Lara was a terrific batsman, a true great but I'd rate both Tendulkar and Ponting above him. Ponting was always my favourite and every time I went out to bat at school/club grade cricket I'd want to do it like Ponting. Objectively speaking I'd rate them as:

Tendulkar
Ponting
Lara

But my personal favourite will always be one Ricky Ponting.

My personal favourite will always be Punter too. :) For me Ponting is the complete cricketer.

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
Complete cricketer? Don't want to open a can of worms but.......*cough* kallis *cough*
When that man retires I hope to god he gets the recognition he deserves.

Kallis is already starting to get that recognition. I wouldn't say he is/was the complete cricketer, his bowling always lacked imo but definitely the best allrounder since Imran Khan.

Ohm

User Title Purchaser
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Guys see this -

111602d1374562226-funny-pictures-videos-collection-1002568_595685130487859_388944072_n.png

DAP

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
I hope SRT doesn't end up like Sanath Jayasuriya, who retired at the rock bottom of his career. I hope he ends it like Rahul Dravid, scoring a century in his last test :)

Owzat

International Coach
While some will reject stats on the basis they don't like what they show/ suggest, they need to be reflected.

Brian Lara (131 Tests)
11953 runs @ 53.89. (HS 400no, SR 60.52)
100 x34, 50 x48 (ducks x17)

Sachin Tendulkar (198 Tests)
15837 runs @ 53.87. (HS 248no, SR not available)
100 x51, 50 x67 (ducks x14)

Ricky Pointing (168 Tests)
13378 runs @ 51.85 (HS 257, SR 58.72)
100 x41, 50 x62 (ducks x17)

In fairness to Lara he did bat for a fair while in a declining West Indies side, with little support bar the likes of Chanderpaul and Sarwan. Ponting batted in a strong aussie side, Indian batting sides are generally strong with the likes of Dravid, Ganguly, Sehwag and Dhoni.

Lara scored 375 against England, on a flat track granted, but a massive effort to break the World Record which no one else had done in donkey's years of star batsmen. Then Hayden broke that record against the powder puffs of Zimbabwe before Lara decided England should give him the record back by him taking 400no off them.

As for the 153no highest rated innings ever, here's a summary of that Test. Steve Waugh made 199 and Ponting 104 to help the aussies recover from 144/4 to 490 all out, a bowling attack fronted by Walsh and Ambrose, but backed up by Collins, Perry and Hooper.

West Indies made 329 all out in reply, Sherwin Campbell scoring 105 and 68 from keeper Jacobs helped them recover from 98/6. Lara made 8 against an attack boasting McGrath, Gillespie, Warne, MacGill, Ponting himself and Mark Waugh.

The aussies then collapsed 2nd innings, scoring just 146, Warne top scoring with 32. The aussies had West Indies 105/5, Lara scored 153no against that strong aussie attack - McGrath took 5/92, Gillespie 3/62 - and guided the West Indies home. Despite having to pretty much carry the innings single handedly in scoring all but half the total himself, he still scored at 59.77 runs per hundred balls.

It's no great surprise that innings is ranked very very highly, although I'd rank the efforts of Gooch in 1991 at Headingley higher, 154no against a West Indies attack of Ambrose, Patterson, Walsh and Marshall on a pitch where no side scored more than 252 and that total was thanks to said 154no from Gooch otherwise it would have been no score over 200. Maybe it was ranked lower because it wasn't the 4th innings so not seen as clearly winning the Test as if literally guiding the side over the line.

But considering the next highest score was 27 in that innings, and the next highest score 73 in the match (Richards) with only a spattering of 50s, it was phenomenal compared to a match with scores of 400+ and 100s all round.

Anyway, back to PLT.

vs England : Ponting 44.21, Lara 62.15, Tendulkar 51.73
vs South Africa : Ponting 47.38, Lara 49.00, Tendulkar 42.46
vs Sri Lanka : Ponting 46.43, Lara 86.54, Tendulkar 60.45

vs Australia : Lara 51.00, Tendulkar 55.00
vs India : Ponting 54.36, Lara 34.55
vs West Indies* : Ponting 53.43, Tendulkar 55.21

*covers when they were decent, in decline, and then poor, otherwise they most certainly wouldn't have averaged 50! I could include Pakistan but they're so up and down it would favour those batting into the more uncertain latter years

Averages against different opponents much of a muchness, unlikely to be any different given they all average 50+ in Tests overall. I'd love to know Tendulkar's SR, if you go on howstat.com then you can see where the balls faced are missing if anyone has said info. I thought I had the 1991 Playfair Cricket Annual, I have 1992 but not 1991. They could just estimate it, 11 runs scoring at probably about a run every other ball is unlikely to influence a career spanning several decades and a lot of innings too much, even if as much as 20-30 balls out.

I feel Tendulkar has entered the "bohemian rhapsody" legendary status, if you talk of the best ever song people talk on about bohemian rhapsody as if it is written in stone, not necessarily as the best, but it is a pretty ordinary song in my book and the novelty of it wasn't even that novel given John Miles' "Music" in 1974 was much the same. It's too jerky, it's too meh, but like Tendulkar, it is hyped. That isn't to say Tendulkar isn't a top top player, but just that judgement of him is swayed by default - maybe "consensus of opinion" rules uber alles.

Would definitely have either of Tendulkar or Lara before Ponting, but for me Lara just edges a very close contest.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
the problem with "Lara won more games" thing is he only won 30 matches in his 131 test career. he scored tons in 8 of them, and lets take away the ones against bangladesh and zimbabwe and we're left with 6. one of those was in a rout against NZ, he wasn't even top scorer, Walsh did the damage bowling. The other 5 were pretty excellent I think, and there is a smattering of 50s I'm sure, and hell, sure he was responsible for saving a few draws.

but really, in the strictest sense of the word, "won more games"? pretty sure tendulkar was crucial in more than 5 matches for india.

Last edited:
S

Satan666

While some will reject stats on the basis they don't like what they show/ suggest, they need to be reflected.

Brian Lara (131 Tests)
11953 runs @ 53.89. (HS 400no, SR 60.52)
100 x34, 50 x48 (ducks x17)

Sachin Tendulkar (198 Tests)
15837 runs @ 53.87. (HS 248no, SR not available)
100 x51, 50 x67 (ducks x14)

Ricky Pointing (168 Tests)
13378 runs @ 51.85 (HS 257, SR 58.72)
100 x41, 50 x62 (ducks x17)

In fairness to Lara he did bat for a fair while in a declining West Indies side, with little support bar the likes of Chanderpaul and Sarwan. Ponting batted in a strong aussie side, Indian batting sides are generally strong with the likes of Dravid, Ganguly, Sehwag and Dhoni.

Lara scored 375 against England, on a flat track granted, but a massive effort to break the World Record which no one else had done in donkey's years of star batsmen. Then Hayden broke that record against the powder puffs of Zimbabwe before Lara decided England should give him the record back by him taking 400no off them.

As for the 153no highest rated innings ever, here's a summary of that Test. Steve Waugh made 199 and Ponting 104 to help the aussies recover from 144/4 to 490 all out, a bowling attack fronted by Walsh and Ambrose, but backed up by Collins, Perry and Hooper.

West Indies made 329 all out in reply, Sherwin Campbell scoring 105 and 68 from keeper Jacobs helped them recover from 98/6. Lara made 8 against an attack boasting McGrath, Gillespie, Warne, MacGill, Ponting himself and Mark Waugh.

The aussies then collapsed 2nd innings, scoring just 146, Warne top scoring with 32. The aussies had West Indies 105/5, Lara scored 153no against that strong aussie attack - McGrath took 5/92, Gillespie 3/62 - and guided the West Indies home. Despite having to pretty much carry the innings single handedly in scoring all but half the total himself, he still scored at 59.77 runs per hundred balls.

It's no great surprise that innings is ranked very very highly, although I'd rank the efforts of Gooch in 1991 at Headingley higher, 154no against a West Indies attack of Ambrose, Patterson, Walsh and Marshall on a pitch where no side scored more than 252 and that total was thanks to said 154no from Gooch otherwise it would have been no score over 200. Maybe it was ranked lower because it wasn't the 4th innings so not seen as clearly winning the Test as if literally guiding the side over the line.

But considering the next highest score was 27 in that innings, and the next highest score 73 in the match (Richards) with only a spattering of 50s, it was phenomenal compared to a match with scores of 400+ and 100s all round.

Anyway, back to PLT.

vs England : Ponting 44.21, Lara 62.15, Tendulkar 51.73
vs South Africa : Ponting 47.38, Lara 49.00, Tendulkar 42.46
vs Sri Lanka : Ponting 46.43, Lara 86.54, Tendulkar 60.45

vs Australia : Lara 51.00, Tendulkar 55.00
vs India : Ponting 54.36, Lara 34.55
vs West Indies* : Ponting 53.43, Tendulkar 55.21

*covers when they were decent, in decline, and then poor, otherwise they most certainly wouldn't have averaged 50! I could include Pakistan but they're so up and down it would favour those batting into the more uncertain latter years

Averages against different opponents much of a muchness, unlikely to be any different given they all average 50+ in Tests overall. I'd love to know Tendulkar's SR, if you go on howstat.com then you can see where the balls faced are missing if anyone has said info. I thought I had the 1991 Playfair Cricket Annual, I have 1992 but not 1991. They could just estimate it, 11 runs scoring at probably about a run every other ball is unlikely to influence a career spanning several decades and a lot of innings too much, even if as much as 20-30 balls out.

I feel Tendulkar has entered the "bohemian rhapsody" legendary status, if you talk of the best ever song people talk on about bohemian rhapsody as if it is written in stone, not necessarily as the best, but it is a pretty ordinary song in my book and the novelty of it wasn't even that novel given John Miles' "Music" in 1974 was much the same. It's too jerky, it's too meh, but like Tendulkar, it is hyped. That isn't to say Tendulkar isn't a top top player, but just that judgement of him is swayed by default - maybe "consensus of opinion" rules uber alles.

Would definitely have either of Tendulkar or Lara before Ponting, but for me Lara just edges a very close contest.

Posts like this deserve a quote. Some hard research done there mate. Personally witnessed that 153 in Bridgetown, marvelous stuff. Like your take on equalizing Sachin with Bohemian Rapsody, must say I like the latter more.

Users who are viewing this thread