TAOC Alpha Pre-Release Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

legend_master

The Art of Cricket Developer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Guys,

This is bloody awesome. Loving the physics overall and the Brett Lee swing I am speechless!!!

Only two things to note for me.

1. Video one. The one bounce four hit. On the shot the ball seemed to take a tennis ball bounce in the grass. Just kinda hopped up. You would expect bounce to be lower on grass

2. 3rd video, the ball keeps on going and going and goin, considering it was barely hit I expected it to slow down sometime after crossing mid on. Maybe its the open stadium thing dont know.

still speechless about the Brett Lee Swing

Great comments from everyone...keep em coming...positive and negative.

1) Not so sure I agree with you on this one...possibly bounce could be toned down a bit I'll concede...leave it with me. From memory the bounce is consistent though pretty much with the angle it came down. Let me review the video and get back to you

2) It's actually on my task list this week to fix up the grass friction, so yes, well spotted. It does slow, but should really slow more than it is at the moment. There's an awful lot of tweaking that needs to be done before the alpha is released, hence the initial disclaimer.

These vids were very quick ones I did with no prep or massaging, just raw gameplay. They are very early and rough though, so I will be ensuring as many glitches are fixed up as possible before the alpha is released. This is of course why the release is dealyed so much.

LM

appu2146

Associate Cricketer
Great videos Mate..... :hpraise
Jk you rock mate.....
The animations are awesome...
Expecting too see the New batting animation soon...

apesnani

Club Cricketer
Great comments from everyone...keep em coming...positive and negative.

1) Not so sure I agree with you on this one...possibly bounce could be toned down a bit I'll concede...leave it with me. From memory the bounce is consistent though pretty much with the angle it came down. Let me review the video and get back to you

2) It's actually on my task list this week to fix up the grass friction, so yes, well spotted. It does slow, but should really slow more than it is at the moment. There's an awful lot of tweaking that needs to be done before the alpha is released, hence the initial disclaimer.

These vids were very quick ones I did with no prep or massaging, just raw gameplay. They are very early and rough though, so I will be ensuring as many glitches are fixed up as possible before the alpha is released. This is of course why the release is dealyed so much.

LM

LM, yeah just not pointing the flaws. Don't get me wrong he videos are amazing!

Just thought I point our somethings I saw

iridescentt

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
how about you guys help us get more exposure.

right now, we are too planetcricket centric. other than a few hundred people,not many are aware of an upcoming game known as TAOC.

and since the vidz have been received extremely well, i wouldnt mind if you guys do a bit of PR work and spread our name in the other forums, websites etc.

Facebook/Twitter page anyone?

Maybe even redesign the TAOC website. Seems a bit dull at the moment. Not necessarily helping the cause either.

Last edited:

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
I won't point out the positives because they have already been touched upon (don't get me wrong, the positives far outweigh the negatives). The following things are not so much negatives as they are suggestions.

Video 1: The video is pretty much perfect. One thing I might change is that the bowler should perhaps react once the shot has been hit. It's going over his head, so maybe he should look back to see if a fielder is there (and scream catch it if there is). If he knows that there is no fielder there and it is going for four/six then he should shake his head, sledge or at least move in some way. It's not essential but it would be nice.

Video 2: I don't know how fast that ball was and the following suggestion may be too hard to implement so forgive me if I'm asking for too much. Perhaps if the speed/effort is maximum then the bowler's follow through should be more extravagant.

Video 3: a) If there is no run in the shot then then once the follow through is over the batsman should have put his bat back past the line.

b) The ball wasn't very far from the bowler. He should have made an effort to stop it.

c) Ball going too far for a shot that didn't seem to be timed all that well. This has already been mentioned though.

jkartik

Chairman of Selectors
I won't point out the positives because they have already been touched upon (don't get me wrong, the positives far outweigh the negatives). The following things are not so much negatives as they are suggestions.

Video 1: The video is pretty much perfect. One thing I might change is that the bowler should perhaps react once the shot has been hit. It's going over his head, so maybe he should look back to see if a fielder is there (and scream catch it if there is). If he knows that there is no fielder there and it is going for four/six then he should shake his head, sledge or at least move in some way. It's not essential but it would be nice.

Video 2: I don't know how fast that ball was and the following suggestion may be too hard to implement so forgive me if I'm asking for too much. Perhaps if the speed/effort is maximum then the bowler's follow through should be more extravagant.

Video 3: a) If there is no run in the shot then then once the follow through is over the batsman should have put his bat back past the line.

b) The ball wasn't very far from the bowler. He should have made an effort to stop it.

c) Ball going too far for a shot that didn't seem to be timed all that well. This has already been mentioned though.

Video 1 : this will come in the Fielding section which hasnt been much explored yet.

Video 2 : hmmm....i do agree that the follow through varies upon the effort put into the delivery...lemme see if i can do something about it.

Video 3 :
a) & b) both of them again come in the fielding aspect.
c) LM answered this. ;)

legend_master

Agree with everything you mentioned...simple answer is it's not done yet, but is definitely planned. Fielding has not been implemented at all in this alpha, so bowler is not going to react at all after bowling, likewise with batsman. It would of course be silly for him to not try and get back after charging - not only silly, but damn annoying when you keep getting stumped! As a player batting you will be able to manually push a button to return to your crease, where if you are bowling then the AI will try to get back.

Yep, ball friction won't be an issue by the end of this week, as mentioned above.

Overall the videos were just to give people something, so no need to over-analyse them just yet. The key points imo are the feel, the overall realism and the physics of the bowling and the batting mechanisms.

As mentioned previously, you'll get a much better sense of the 'feel' when you play hands on. I'll be taking responses to that very seriously.

anchit211

School Cricketer
hi jk & lm
the videos look awsome but i had some queries. the game has three aspects:
1.graphics
2.gameplay
3.game modes

these are my queries:

1.judging by the videos the graphics in the finished verson will look nice. the gameplay will be awsome ,i can bet on that but u havent talked much about the game modes that TAOC will hav. i mean will it just hav test,odis and t20 or more modes like world cup,t20worldcup, some tours like in ea cricket 2007 etc..

2.secondly, none of the game so far have concentrated on fielding. i wanted to know will there be new thing in the fielding like while hitting the stumps u hav a meter just like the catch meter, or dive during chase

3. the third is the run rate will the cpu will be smart enough to recognise the situation.for eg. will he be able to calculate the optimum score he requires according to the pitch and play according to that ,and while batting second will he able to play realistically according to the run rate
if u could answer my queries that wolud be very nice of

Last edited:

deepuparayil

International Cricketer
legend_master,I think you got most of the basics right for a cricket simulation game.I never saw anything like your dance down the wicket feature before in any game,it's so realistic.:clap:clap:clap You did a wonderful job so far in coding this whole thing.
The only thing needed to make this epic is a true cricket atmosphere to immerse the player in.

C.Gayle

Banned
I was watching the 2nd video for many times, suddenly i saw a cursor moving inside the video, at the same time one arrow in the batsman's foot was also moving , then i find that it is the revolutionary system LM was talking about. Good work LM. We can place the ball wherever we want with the mouse or it is related with the foot movement? great stuff... once again i want to say that the ball size is not at all good. other things are good to see.

Last edited:

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Videos were amazing. I particularly liked the animation of the Quickie. The smash over the bowlers head was definitely the best shot (in its category) I have seen in any cricket game. Great work LM and Kartik. Keep up the good work. :hpraise

legend_master

I was watching the 2nd video for many times, suddenly i saw a cursor moving inside the video, at the same time one arrow in the batsman's foot was also moving , then i find that it is the revolutionary system LM was talking about. Good work LM. We can place the ball wherever we want with the mouse or it is related with the foot movement? great stuff... once again i want to say that the ball size is not at all good. other things are good to see.

i was waiting for someone to mention the arrow ;) Cannot comment further on that yet but you are on the right track :spy

Not sure I agree with you on the ball size. You mean it's too big or too small? I put the ball right up against the stumps and the size seems pretty much right on. Does anyone else have an opinion on this one?

MuchMore

International Coach
Profile Flag
Fiji
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Great stuff guys. Lovely physics.

I am really curios to know how the controls work. I did get some idea but would appreciate if LM or JK can put some light on this. :)

Cheers and KUTGW! :)

cnbd_novice

International Coach
Not sure I agree with you on the ball size. You mean it's too big or too small? I put the ball right up against the stumps and the size seems pretty much right on. Does anyone else have an opinion on this one?

Ya, I kinda thought the same actually. May probably have been since I was watching the videos zoomed in, but when the camera cut away after the shots, the ball seemed kinda big compared to the ground (1st and 3rd vids, but that just might be me; this also made the bounce in the outfield in the 1st video look a bit weird to me - but I think someone already mentioned the sudden hop).

Other than that, the old skidding-on-ice follow-through still seems to be there on that 2nd vid.

Looks good overall, although you gotta wish Manee was here - he always has awesome feedbacks to these videos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread