TAOC Discussion

legend_master

The Art of Cricket Developer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Hi all,

I am in progress creating a 3d cricket game. I know you will all be laughing right now after reading this, as would i be if i was in your position too... ;) Believe me, i've been working on this now for 1 year part time and it has been really hard work!

But believe me or not, it is happening already...I have the game engine built and the physics engine in testing, bowling is almost done, batting is being worked on now. Collision is also done. I currently have 2 player models done - generic batsman and generic bowler and have animated them, though still many many more animations to go.

So if there are any modellers out there who would like to help let me know and i will make sure you are all credited and involved first hand in the project.

cheers,

LM

fyi, i will post some teaser screenz soon....

Last edited by a moderator:

sohail

International Coach
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
if i knew how to use 3dsmax6+ i would love to help! but i hope you get people involved in your project becuase i think its a fantastic idea what your doing! can't wait for the teaser screen

legend_master

Thanks mate for the encouragement...i should have some screenz up tonight...was too busy last night. Even if I dont get any takers for stadium help i will do it myself, but the time for completion and / or number of stadiums available will suffer more.... :crying

cheers,

LM

Burma's Finest

Executive member
Profile Flag
England
If you have a cunning way of converting .O files into a 3DS Max compatible format then you should just save yourself the time and effort and "borrow" the stadium models from C2K5. Assuming you're not going to be selling the game that is. BTW, I've worked with AutoCAD (2000-05) and 3DS Max (3-7).

das_vicky

International Cricketer
its more than a day past.........when is the teaser screen coming?

legend_master

ah, ye of little faith...patience my friend ;-)

Burma's - are you interested?

Das...screenz as promised - i was delayed because my video card got fried! arrgghh!!!! So i've bought a new one...even better than the old so i'm back in business...

one small note...these screenshots are very early in the dev process and will be improved heaps, but while i want graphics to be really good, i know i cant compete with EA and codies yet without heaps of time being spent, so i am really going to focus on gameplay - in particular REALISTIC PHYSICS!!! and unlimited variety of strokes etc.

these screenz also wont show you the excellent animation / physics / collision work i've already done, but will at least give you some idea...

also, you'll notice the stadium is very bare...this is because i wanted to get the engine right before working on eye candy, so i've just got a bare bones stadium and pitch etc. in so i can work on the bowling and batting systems...

enjoy!

-LM

these show the in game play - i also have free cam - so players will be able to choose either 6 defaults or customise their own 'free' cam and save it as a default...i hated not being able to choose my own cameras!

Attachments

• ingame1.jpg
    ingame1.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 2,350
  • ingame2.jpg
    ingame2.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 2,237
  • ingame3.jpg
    ingame3.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 2,005
Last edited:

T20

Panel of Selectors
no question of laughing..you have put in the hard work which is important and screens look very good :)

legend_master

more ingame...also, this is zero antialiasing (hence the sharp edges) and zero anistropic filtering, no v-sync or anything...so looks heaps better when all those are ramped up...again, this is very bare-bones...

oh, about the shadows, dont worry that the stumps' shadows are a different direction from the batsman's...this is because the batsman shadow is hardware based and the stumps' shadow was baked into the texture...i just haven't gotten around to making everything hardware shadows yet.. :cool:

remember, guys, this is going to take ages to complete, so i was reluctant to get everyone's hopes up so soon. But i will endeavour to keep posting screens and updates quite regularly so you all know i'm still around...

as i mentioned, i am going to complete this if it's the last thing i ever do! lol :cool:

Attachments

• ingame4.jpg
    ingame4.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 1,849
  • ingame5.jpg
    ingame5.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 1,792

sid_19840

International Coach
Those screens look pretty good,all the best in your commitments and hope that you can find all the help you need,here at PC.

langerrox

International Coach
that is amazing stuff mate! give us the bat template so we can make some more bats, another request, can you make the bats very thick:D? im tired of eas thin bats

Burma's Finest

Executive member
Profile Flag
England
legend_master said:
Burma's - are you interested?

one small note...these screenshots are very early in the dev process and will be improved heaps, but while i want graphics to be really good, i know i cant compete with EA and codies yet without heaps of time being spent
I'm always interested in interesting projects. ;) Just send me an e-mail or chat with me on MSN if you like (details in public profile).

As for your graphics question, you can definitely beat BLIC <braces himself for a torrant of abuse> :p What can you tell me about your engine as far as texture formatting and DirectX compatibility etc.? I think you could make it look great with relative ease assuming you can get your engine to support geometry with multiple UVW co-ordinate maps so you can blend light-maps, diffuse maps, and normal-maps. That way you don't need to worry about real-time dynamic lighting as you can just fake it with clever texturing. But given your obvious skills I'm sure I don't need to tell you all this.:p

I look forward to discussing this with you further (should you so desire).

dexter

School Cricketer
really nice work mate!

i wish i could help, but my skills are nowhere near yours. here's hoping u succeed in ur mission to go one up over EA/Codies.

cheeers!!

Users who are viewing this thread