TAOC Templates Released

lazy_chesnut

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
That grass texture is not right. You'll never get the 'blades of grass' effect on a texture at that size. The texture needs to be layered, so there is an overall texture, which gives you the stripes/checks pattern, and then the detail texture which gives you the blades of grass.

It'll never look any good just using one texture for the whole ground.

coolz_hari

International Coach
hello kartik..i just tried India latest kit with TAOC template. correct me if i made any mistake.here is the template

Attachments

• india kit.png
    india kit.png
    135.7 KB · Views: 106

lazy_chesnut

International Coach
Not being harsh but you need to learn a bit about 2D graphics editing. In particular, anti-aliasing and blending modes.

holmie

Club Cricketer
well if you look back at some of the threads i have shown some overlays i made for TAOC but unfortunately the hdd they were on got destroyed... but i can make new ones. i just want to know what the release time frame of TAOC is so that i can start working on my part.

jkartik

Chairman of Selectors
well if you look back at some of the threads i have shown some overlays i made for TAOC but unfortunately the hdd they were on got destroyed... but i can make new ones. i just want to know what the release time frame of TAOC is so that i can start working on my part.

we'll be implementing the overlays soon so asap ! ;)

jkartik added 2 Minutes and 2 Seconds later...

hello kartik..i just tried India latest kit with TAOC template. correct me if i made any mistake.here is the template

hmmm....the colour is good...but yeah as LC said, you need blend the colours in instead of pasting it over the shirt and lots of feathering required there...

jkartik added 0 Minutes and 46 Seconds later...

ok..i just tried on bat. any improvements needed?

looks really good....can do much better though....but loads better than the kit ! :)

jkartik added 1 Minutes and 40 Seconds later...

@nabeel - dont overdo the grass blades....as it'll look huge and weird in-game !

holmie

Club Cricketer
ok i got time to do the menu today so i completed the main menu. and also i created a new logo tell me what you think. i lost the .psd of the old green circular one.

lazy_chesnut

International Coach
The second screen looks nice, but can't really work out how the user would navigate it (obviously left/right, up/down keys, but having all the options visible is a bit odd, but could work).

I much preferred the green logo that is on the website,but your Photoshop skills are clearly up there, so keep it up!

chaitanyaraghav

Club Cricketer
ok
here are my first grass textures!
i am posting three versions(of the same grass):

1)plain grass field
2)grass field with stripes
3)striped grass field with an ex pitch

PS:The images are in JPEG format.The PNG Format images were very huge in size so didnt upload them!
They are 2048x2048! and maximise to see the grass detail!

Attachments

• plain without Stripes.jpg
    plain without Stripes.jpg
    841 KB · Views: 79
  • grass with stripes.jpg
    grass with stripes.jpg
    893.5 KB · Views: 243
  • striped grass with ex pitch.jpg
    striped grass with ex pitch.jpg
    816.4 KB · Views: 292

King Cricket

International Coach
One question, what is the "toe" of a bat?

King Cricket added 14 Minutes and 50 Seconds later...

Oh, I get it now.

lazy_chesnut

International Coach
Regarding texture sizes:

Let's say the 2048 pixels represents 80m in real life, that means that it's a 'real-life' resolution of 25.6 pixels per metre. If you therefore set one blade of grass to be 1 pixel wide, you end up with a blade of grass that is 4cm wide, which is clearly silly.

The best way to do this would be to have a 1024x1024 (or maybe even 512x512) texture to represent the 'shading' on the grass (i.e. the way the mower rolls it and makes it look stripy) and then have another grass texture which has all the detail, which is then tiled and blended. This is called detail texturing, and the idea is that the detail texture is only shown when the camera is close to the object, and ignored when far away as you wouldn't really be able to see it very well from long distances anyway.

The problem with this is that you might well need to split the ground surface up into several polygons rather than one large one, so that each polygons distance from the camera can be assessed, and the detail texture applied or not. There may well be automatic ways to implement detail texturing in the tools that LM is using, however, making this easier.

What most of you have been doing so far, is designing grass a grass texture for the whole field, but making the actual blades of grass look right for about 4:1 scale, when we are actually talking about 80:1 scale, roughly. This will mean your grass blades will look silly when blown up.

If detail texturing is not being implemented, then the best thing to do is not do grass blades, but imagine what the ground would look like from 100 feet in the air, and make that as a texture.

We really could do with more guidance from LM/JK on this.

King Cricket

International Coach
Here is my work. And I'll add here, that right now I'm feeling really excited and delighted, for finally being able to contribute something to this great project.

Koka Kahuna bat.

Users who are viewing this thread