Things the AI should do - suggestions

rabeta

News Team Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
Bloody umpire last season gave a 4 to the other team cos I did that last season :mad:

*finds umpire's address...*

haha he must have been a terrrible umpire. Almost as bad as Morris, who makes up some rules as he goes along, and gives people out even when they nail the ball, with the bat, into the pads haha(lbw)

FreddieFan

International Coach
It's not really an AI issue, but how about 2 modes of play - one with human umpires who make mistakes and one with perfect umpires so you don't get annoyed when he wrongly gives you out LBW on 99 :p

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
don't know if this has been said but they should bowl where your struggling and also come round to left handers. Also with all this talk of squads will we be able to pick the starting team?

The Mongrel

Club Cricketer
I haven't read through the thread to see if its mentioned, but they should also play with respects to the fields. With the field in, its a good idea to go over the top, as opposed to when the field is spread. Therefore, in the middle overs where the field moves out, they should be looking to take a single off every ball, as opposed to defending like they do in Cricket 2007 and BLIC etc.

Krypta

School Cricketer
Giles should not be able to bowl the doosra. Please don't let him bowl the doosra!

Gilly Fan

Chairman of Selectors
What's the AI? Is that the computer?

If it is, then make it so if they are going at 8-36 an over, make sure they get swapped straight away. :)

slade

Club Cricketer
Could we have the computer batsman moving on the crease. I dont think any cricket games have the computer batsman move around to get into a position to hit where fielders arent eg walking across the stumps to flick a straight ball if fine leg is close in etc.

When writing the AI for setting the fields, I think it will be a diffcult balance to achieve between how reactive the computer is. You want the computer to place a fielder tehre if u keep stealing runs but at the same time u dont want the computer to place a fielder where ever u hit the ball. Perhaps the AI starts with standard fields and then customises them after considering your wagon wheel.

Also the computer should not only play in accordance to the match situation but also to the series situation. E.g. You are 1- 0 down in a test series, you are much more likely to set a sporting declaration (i.e. give the opposition something they think they could chase) so u have a chance to bowl them out than if u were 1- 0 up where you'd probably bat on till u have secured the draw before declaring.

apesnani

Club Cricketer
Maybe the AI can think like the code for the game battrick, which always produces realistic results, between equally competitive teams.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Maybe the AI can think like the code for the game battrick, which always produces realistic results, between equally competitive teams.
But the battrick engine doesn't have to deal with any real-time input, so it's not really on the same level of complexity.

Users who are viewing this thread