Things the AI should do - suggestions

playkid12

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
It'd be cool for small things at the END of an over rather than just seeing the ball being tossed around again and again to make the experience have more atmosphere. Examples of this include:

The camera going into the crowd at the end of an over and showing one person showing off their team colors, the person responding and waving to the camera or something

^ Same thing but with a few people

The camera showing the crowd doing a 'wave' by standing up and sitting down at the end of the over

The commentators analyzing the game, showing either the scorecard, the batting stats, the bowling stats, wagonwheel, run rate chart, etc. at the end of an over

Zooming up on a star player on the field and the commentators saying that his batting or bowling will be important in this match

Meh, it'd be cool to do a few of those. I like to have an atmosphere. I feel like atmosphere, gameplay, and statistics makeup a good sports game. Graphics matter, but less. Of course, all of these things should be able to be skipped by one button so we can continue on with the game if we arent interested in the atmosphere.

Anyway, I know this whole thing was a bit off topic bc it has nothing to do with the AI. So, as far as the AI is concerned, it needs to be smart, adjusting to the situation. Also, if its a tournament game and if they have too many wickets down early or something during a match, they should be smart enough to play more conservative, not worry about too much about the target, and work more towards saving their bonus point...same with test matches and follow-ons.

Detroit500

School Cricketer
Those are some great ideas^

One thing would to make the keeper good at well.... getting the ball. I hate it when I bowl a short/mid delivery and the ball goes behind the batsmen and the keeper just leaves it for 4 byes, or when i pitch the ball in-line and it takes an out-swing, the batsmen leave it, and the ball slips by the keeper without a movement. pisses me off:mad

Jdz

School Cricketer
Speaking of atmosphere and things. How about reactions to dot balls, don't have the fielders rush in to the ball if the batsmen has just blocked the ball down.

dhoni dhamaka

Club Cricketer
1) A bit of confrontation between the bowler and the batsmen when the batsmen gets 'beaten', not WWE style but a good long stare.

2) Appeals for caught behind, really thin edges which the umpire may or may not give, and then the fielding reacting to the desicion, (e.g, dissapointment on their faces).

3) Shots for certain players, such as the 'flamingo' for Kevin Pietersen (this is the shot where sticks his back leg up whilst playing a shot) and the Wagon Wheel for Dhoni (when he winds up before launching one over midwicket)

4) Basic crowd 'stuff', such as a big roar when Panesar comes onto bowl and appluading a bowler at the end of his over if he took a wicket it in.

5) Now i know this wont happen! its an awfully big ask! but maybe we could include Hotspot or Snicko in it. Sorry if this offends you!....

BTW, this game is looking great, how will people be able to get it?

Cricketdude

Chairman of Selectors
1) A bit of confrontation between the bowler and the batsmen when the batsmen gets 'beaten', not WWE style but a good long stare.

2) Appeals for caught behind, really thin edges which the umpire may or may not give, and then the fielding reacting to the desicion, (e.g, dissapointment on their faces).

3) Shots for certain players, such as the 'flamingo' for Kevin Pietersen (this is the shot where sticks his back leg up whilst playing a shot) and the Wagon Wheel for Dhoni (when he winds up before launching one over midwicket)

4) Basic crowd 'stuff', such as a big roar when Panesar comes onto bowl and appluading a bowler at the end of his over if he took a wicket it in.

5) Now i know this wont happen! its an awfully big ask! but maybe we could include Hotspot or Snicko in it. Sorry if this offends you!....

BTW, this game is looking great, how will people be able to get it?
It seems like you dont know what the internet is? because you will use the internet to download the game... but if you dont hav good internet you can order a box copy for a nominal fee

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
It seems like you dont know what the internet is? because you will use the internet to download the game... but if you dont hav good internet you can order a box copy for a nominal fee
Many games can't be downloaded (legally), so don't attack him over that. However the answer to the question could have been found by searching.

lancashire666

International Coach
the crowd idea is a good one dhoni dhamaka, the crowd chearing when ever the ball gets to monty, or if someone drops a catch there could be an 'ironic' cheer the next time they pick up the ball.

and the confrontation idea, why not have it full WWE style, it almost happened between KP and Zaheer Kahn the other day lol

dhoni dhamaka

Club Cricketer
the crowd idea is a good one dhoni dhamaka, the crowd chearing when ever the ball gets to monty, or if someone drops a catch there could be an 'ironic' cheer the next time they pick up the ball.

and the confrontation idea, why not have it full WWE style, it almost happened between KP and Zaheer Kahn the other day lol

lol, thanks, why dont we just put a wrestling ring on the pitch? :rolleyes:

Leggie

Chairman of Selectors
1) Some oohs and aahs when a batsmen is beaten, from the crowd and from the players.

2) Maybe some trademark celebrations when the bowler gets a wicket, e.g, Monty's hi-5's and Flintoff doing a back-flip or something, I know it would be difficult to make these celebration but there are only a few players who have special celebrations.

3) Batsmen who walk such as Gilchrist should automatically walk when there is an appeal and it is out.

4) Maybe proper 'Drag Ons' and 'Inside Edges' onto the stumps as this is very common way of getting out nowadays. Not like the absurd ones in EA where they play a pull shot and look forward at the bowler and the commentator says something like ' Well Bowled, Right In The Blockhole'. Therefore the batsmen should show their disgust and fustration and look back at the stumps, like Michael Vaughan did against India at Trent Bridge.

5) Maybe some hit-wickets for 'unconfident-tailenders'?

playkid12

Club Captain
The staring down the batsman idea could be awesome. What you can actually do is make the thing user controlled. You beat the batsman and an option comes up to stare him down. This could either make your confidence go higher a little, or the batsman's confidence go lower a little. But it should be a double-edged sword. Like lets say a bowler gets creamed for 6, 4, 4, and then beats the batsman once and does the stare, it could backfire and make the batsman's confidence fill up all the way. So you could only use it if you're actually beating the batsman thoroughly. That would be a sweet addition!!

Also, I thought of this and I think it can really work. Often in cricket games, lofted shots mean a shot that's going to try to go for six. Rarely, a game is produced where you can hit something to go over the head of a fielder. I personally think this is bad because many players use a lot of lofted shots to clear the infield. How this could work is you have one button for lofted shots. You hold it down when the bowler is doing his run up. The longer you hold it, the more power the shot will have. Then you have to release the button right at the right moment for the bat to come down and hit. So your timing has to be good AND you had to hold it for a long enough time to get the power under the bat. That brings two things into consideration, which would make hitting a six considerably harder. However, it should get easier when you're settled. Also, I think if you hold it for way too long, it should cause a hit-wicket by the batsman bringing his bat way too far back!

Aside from this, I think tired bowlers/stamina should be put into consideration. The circle that they bowl (that u use to choose where to land the ball) should get wider if they've been bowling for way too long - causing a loss in accuracy.

Also, I think its ridiculous that spinners are only judged by side-spin. Kumble is an excellent spinner that uses a lot of top-spin and barely any side spin. It'd be good to see a game where top-spin becomes important.

Last edited:

Leggie

Chairman of Selectors
The staring down the batsman idea could be awesome. What you can actually do is make the thing user controlled. You beat the batsman and an option comes up to stare him down. This could either make your confidence go higher a little, or the batsman's confidence go lower a little. But it should be a double-edged sword. Like lets say a bowler gets creamed for 6, 4, 4, and then beats the batsman once and does the stare, it could backfire and make the batsman's confidence fill up all the way. So you could only use it if you're actually beating the batsman thoroughly. That would be a sweet addition!!

Also, I thought of this and I think it can really work. Often in cricket games, lofted shots mean a shot that's going to try to go for six. Rarely, a game is produced where you can hit something to go over the head of a fielder. I personally think this is bad because many players use a lot of lofted shots to clear the infield. How this could work is you have one button for lofted shots. You hold it down when the bowler is doing his run up. The longer you hold it, the more power the shot will have. Then you have to release the button right at the right moment for the bat to come down and hit. So your timing has to be good AND you had to hold it for a long enough time to get the power under the bat. That brings two things into consideration, which would make hitting a six considerably harder. However, it should get easier when you're settled. Also, I think if you hold it for way too long, it should cause a hit-wicket by the batsman bringing his bat way too far back!

Aside from this, I think tired bowlers/stamina should be put into consideration. The circle that they bowl (that u use to choose where to land the ball) should get wider if they've been bowling for way too long - causing a loss in accuracy.

Also, I think its ridiculous that spinners are only judged by side-spin. Kumble is an excellent spinner that uses a lot of top-spin and barely any side spin. It'd be good to see a game where top-spin becomes important.

Some excellent ideas there Playkid, but i think the hit wicket of trying to hut a six is a bit exaggerated!, but yet interesting

Also it would be cool if batsmen such as dhoni, any good batsmen in fact, should be able to take their helmet off and put a cap on when they are facing spinners, just a thought, wouldnt mind if this didnt happen. :)

Users who are viewing this thread