This is it - Ashes Cricket (Beta Feedback)

grkrama

National Board President
You can certainly choose the foot there is ample time for it, you can always have early marker timing using custom sliders. though i dont agree with having a trigger button for front foot pull. It should be chosen for front foot based on height between glance and front foot pull if the ball is above waist height as it has been since 14 and 17.

I would also look to make it pulling or glancing outside off a bit more risky like leading edges and top edges and bottom edges if the batsman isnt skilled and mistiming it.

D

Deleted member 185125

You can certainly choose the foot there is ample time for it, you can always have early marker timing using custom sliders. though i dont agree with having a trigger button for front foot pull. It should be chosen for front foot based on height between glance and front foot pull if the ball is above waist height as it has been since 14 and 17.

I would also look to make it pulling or glancing outside off a bit more risky like leading edges and top edges and bottom edges if the batsman isnt skilled and mistiming it.

I have seem many players moving towards the off and smacking every towards the leg with ease in DBC17. I feel it is an unfair advantage against AI. There should definitely be risks in doing so. Lbw, leading edge etc.

The problem I'm currently facing in Ashes is that, I am unable to hit offside bouncers to the off side as well. Is there a specific way it has to be played?

grkrama

National Board President
I'm currently facing in Ashes is that, I am unable to hit offside bouncers to the off side as well. Is there a specific way it has to be played?

Its certainly tough to hit and i havnt been able to hit consistently but RS at 4 o clock helps and have got a few good pull from off. @blockerdave has been able to hit them consistently.
Also its works better against bouncers more than lesser height short balls, though it would be opposite in real life.

Also ya leading edges for glances outside off and top and bottom edge for pulls would be a good addition as risks to these shots to make them challenging.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Its certainly tough to hit and i havnt been able to hit consistently but RS at 4 o clock helps and have got a few good pull from off. @blockerdave has been able to hit them consistently.
Also its works better against bouncers more than lesser height short balls, though it would be opposite in real life.

Also ya leading edges for glances outside off and top and bottom edge for pulls would be a good addition as risks to these shots to make them challenging.

i'd say consistently it's the higher, backfoot pulls i can get. lower front-foot ones i connect with less consistently and i'd say with those you are more likely to edge but usually into your body. i did get one away through mid-wicket for 4 and it's one of the best shots i've played in the game i would say.

i get where Tj & chaman and others are coming from, but i still maintain the game gives you an ability to hit a ball that arrives in the rectangle between 5th-8th stump at stomach to neck height anywhere from behind square on the off through to behind square on the leg, and fixating on this issue slightly odd.

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Ok fair enough.

But the game does have a shot that can be played in that area to that delivery, and is in fact a pull.

Yeah the fact that it's possible on the front foot (although I still haven't tested properly so I'm not exactly sure how it feels) makes a big difference from thinking it wasn't there at all. If there's a reasonable and realistic range of shots there already then it's more of a nerdy concern area.

But nerd wise it means the game has effectively added a new cricket rule that pulling chest high deliveries off the back foot is technically impossible, and I'm not really thrilled about that in principal and I don't like auto misses being a thing for actually hittable deliveries.

The idea that front foot pull vs throat / head high deliveries is a bad selection is very reasonable, but I'd prefer to see some top edges rather than just pure auto miss. And I'm really not keen on the inverse of that also being true - that a backfoot pull should be an auto miss vs the actual ideal height for the shot.

ETA I think it might just be a straight misunderstanding of the technical principles involved. They've assumed that because FF pull is a poor shot vs above shoulder height, that back foot must be a poor shot below shoulder height.

In fact pulling or hooking above shoulder height offside is very difficult and dangerous off either foot.

Last edited:

Sweppy12

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
Australia
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Well yes and no... again I believe you can make a reasonable guess early based on the pitch and bowler of where the ball is going to end up and What foot to play off.
ive only played on hard pitches, so most of the short balls are coming head high or even above, I get tricked by the fuller one sometimes, but overall I don't care if I miss it, it's not going to get me out. One thing I do have a little bit of a problem with is off the front foot, when the game decides whether you play a pull or a glance. Is there a specific angle for the footwork or something that triggers the shot?

Sweppy12

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
Australia
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4

I've got out a few times to top edges from the pull shot, usually around middle to off stump line. The batter gets inside the line and just gets a tiny top edge that goes straight to the keeper, I haven't had one change its flight path though, never balloons up in the air or anything

riteshagl

County Cricketer
Yeah the fact that it's possible on the front foot (although I still haven't tested properly so I'm not exactly sure how it feels) makes a big difference from thinking it wasn't there at all. If there's a reasonable and realistic range of shots there already then it's more of a nerdy concern area.

But nerd wise it means the game has effectively added a new cricket rule that pulling chest high deliveries off the back foot is technically impossible, and I'm not really thrilled about that in principal and I don't like auto misses being a thing for actually hittable deliveries.

The idea that front foot pull vs throat / head high deliveries is a bad selection is very reasonable, but I'd prefer to see some top edges rather than just pure auto miss. And I'm really not keen on the inverse of that also being true - that a backfoot pull should be an auto miss vs the actual ideal height for the shot.

ETA I think it might just be a straight misunderstanding of the technical principles involved. They've assumed that because FF pull is a poor shot vs above shoulder height, that back foot must be a poor shot below shoulder height.

In fact pulling or hooking above shoulder height offside is very difficult and dangerous off either foot.
Since you are a beta tester, is there any development towards making batting more difficult in higher difficulties. It feels too overpowered at the moment.

Also is there any development towards broken batting modifiers?

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
Since you are a beta tester, is there any development towards making batting more difficult in higher difficulties. It feels too overpowered at the moment.

Also is there any development towards broken batting modifiers?

I don't know very much about day to day activities at BA, I'm afraid. I haven't heard about any impending fixes on those issues, but I don't usually find out until they happen.

I absolutely have the inside scoop on what the other beta testers think about the game, though. Detailed, intimate knowledge. Times. Dates. Photos. Videos.

I'm running an introductory offer - 5 bucks for finding out what GK thought of the leg glance on 14th September.

Ace123

International Cricketer
TPCL Titans
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Is the beta test still on, looking to iron out some bugs and introduce new features after release ?

Kass D

County Cricketer
Hey testers . I don't know if your allowed to share this kind of information.

With the present build your testing, do you still have the AI not taking singles issue and stumping issues ?

And I noticed AI use the same fields for fast bowlers and the spinners.

Ace123

International Cricketer
TPCL Titans
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Hey testers . I don't know if your allowed to share this kind of information.

With the present build your testing, do you still have the AI not taking singles issue and stumping issues ?

And I noticed AI use the same fields for fast bowlers and the spinners.

In line with the above question, I can understand there may be a protocol to follow on what to say and what not to say, answer the following (if possible)

Can we know what are the issues @BigAntStudios is trying to address in the next patch, if anybody can share? (it can avoid some people repeated posting the same issue on the forums)

Acid Burn

International Coach
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Yeah , I guess the difficult part is that one never knows if you will be able to fix it .

Hence , they wont mention anything , until its actually fixed .

But a bulleted list of known Bugs stickied might help alot to filter out all the repeat Postings .

Maybe someone should do it , but not a BA representative , so that they are not "locked by aknowledgment" into HAVING to fix all of them ?

Users who are viewing this thread