Wealey's Realism Gameplay Tweaks

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
I agree, I really try to research the strengths and weaknesses of the players including their best shots, front font, back foot and onside, off side, it give a real variance to the play. Cricket Captain 21 has an awesome database where it picks up on strengths and weaknesses including whether they are good playing spin, or pace and aggression. It takes longer the rate the teams, players but it's worth it for stretching the gameplay.
Oooo, didn't even think of that. Great shout.

Do I want to invest that amount of time into it tho? :facepalm

cricboi

Club Captain
If you wanna have a fun time play as a reskilled team (like @WealeyH suggested) where you've reduced your power across the board to 5 and then set the bowl quality to 90 (every other slider is from Rumple43's sheet). makes it exceptionally hard to hit boundaries and you can really only milk the AI for 1s when they bowl leg side with an offside field. Played against England with my own custom team of internationals and I reset twice on my way to 170 for 3 in about 50 overs so far. 2 wickets were caught behind when I chased offdrives and the other I hit onto my stumps after swinging late on a bouncer. It's also cool that once you get in and go green your aggression for boundaries starts to pay off but before that you have to be super conservative in the shots you try to play. I might turn power up to 6 or 7 if I want to start playing higher scoring games but I'm so far loving these pro-bowling contests.

Last edited:

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Something I've come across a few times now with reskilled teams, tailenders who can't get out.

They're like the bizarre opposite of the tailender Bradmans we used to have. I can easily send down 50, even 100 deliveries plus at 8, 9, 10 and 11 with no luck.

The thing is, because I've nuked their batting stats to practically zero, they don't really score either. They might take a few singles here or there, and they'll get the odd boundary off an edge that zoom through a gap at light speed, but that's it.

Too rubbish to score, but the AI slider says they can't get out too fast. They have an insane amount of play and misses as well. Again, not good enough to bat, but not allowed to get out. If you bowl on the stumps they just dribble a rubbish shot to a fielder etc.

It really is rather odd!

Irtileaf

Club Captain
Something I've come across a few times now with reskilled teams, tailenders who can't get out.

They're like the bizarre opposite of the tailender Bradmans we used to have. I can easily send down 50, even 100 deliveries plus at 8, 9, 10 and 11 with no luck.

The thing is, because I've nuked their batting stats to practically zero, they don't really score either. They might take a few singles here or there, and they'll get the odd boundary off an edge that zoom through a gap at light speed, but that's it.

Too rubbish to score, but the AI slider says they can't get out too fast. They have an insane amount of play and misses as well. Again, not good enough to bat, but not allowed to get out. If you bowl on the stumps they just dribble a rubbish shot to a fielder etc.

It really is rather odd!
I totally get it. But I still have got them out somehow. Did take a bit of time but did get them out without much runs scored and poor shot selection too.
Do you think we should increase the wicket chance?

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
I totally get it. But I still have got them out somehow. Did take a bit of time but did get them out without much runs scored and poor shot selection too.
Do you think we should increase the wicket chance?
No, the wicket chance seems fine for the rest of the team, and I did eventually get them out as well, it just took me ages.

Maybe I just need to work out a better strategy to bowling to tailenders.

Mouseydread

Associate Captain
Not sure if this is something you would be interested in but back in dbc14 and 17 I would re-skill teams based on a simple formula and had some success with it. I gave up on it in the recent games when they added the new perks system because it got too confusing with what did what.

What I did was take each players first class batting average and multiply it by 1.8. So a player averaging 30 would have a batting rating of 54 and a player averaging 50 would be rated a 90. It was probably a bit harsh on those averaging 30 but it felt like there was a real difference between the average batters and those who were world class. I would then significantly reduce one batting skill and increase another skill by the same amount so when bowling it felt like you could target the batters weakness but had to stay away from there strength.

I did something similar for each players bowling rating by taking there first class bowling average and taking that way from 110. So someone averaging 20 would be rated a 90 and someone averaging 40 would be rated a 70. I would then again decrease one skill and increase another. I also found that generally spinners would have a higher average than fast bowlers so this helped to reduce how overpowered they are.
This is what I have done instead of 1.8 for batting I've used 2 (easier to calculate) and adjusted accordingly to 1.8 ish. Then I have done the 110 thing too which makes a whole lot of sense. I've been doing this since DB17 so you may have been the original calculator or ratings. Your method is a sound one that I use also

cricboi

Club Captain
Sorry if this has been asked already but what are people who re-skill players doing about T20? Is my best bet to just re-download teams and have different teams for different formats? I tried this a bit with the IPL teams and I think it sort of works, but I'm wondering if there are any other ways other than having 2 versions of multiformat players, one for red ball and one for white. Would be interested to hear what people are doing.

RDB3

Club Cricketer
I wonder if its time to tweak the Ai Judgement and Power sliders again?

After the new patch and batsmen behaviour I feel that they bat more realistically.

Currently the Ai judgement and Power sliders are set at 5 thinking about pushing them up to about 8. Would love to hear your thoughts.

Wealey

ICC Board Member

After the new patch and batsmen behaviour I feel that they bat more realistically.

Currently the Ai judgement and Power sliders are set at 5 thinking about pushing them up to about 8. Would love to hear your thoughts.

I’d agree.. I got near on perfect gameplay with default Australia..

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England

Also agree. I had mine at 4 for power and judgement and they batted far too slowly.

Could well need to remove reskilling (fine) and also look at a v4 of the slider spreadsheet (less fine).

RDB3

Club Cricketer
Also agree. I had mine at 4 for power and judgement and they batted far too slowly.

Could well need to remove reskilling (fine) and also look at a v4 of the slider spreadsheet (less fine).
I agree, a V4 slider sprearsheet would be wonderful.

whiteninness

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Can someone please explain what the edge sliders in the settings mean? The instructions are very vague.

"Edges - Good Input Influence" - "Increasing this slider will increase the influence that good input has on the chances of the ball hitting the edge of the bat"

Influence... in what way? This is pretty poor English. I have no idea if increasing or decreasing the slider will mean that a "good" input will be more or less likely to cause an edge. It'd be nice to know because right now edges are way too high.

Jerm

International Coach
SA.....
Profile Flag
South Africa
Can someone please explain what the edge sliders in the settings mean? The instructions are very vague.

"Edges - Good Input Influence" - "Increasing this slider will increase the influence that good input has on the chances of the ball hitting the edge of the bat"

Influence... in what way? This is pretty poor English. I have no idea if increasing or decreasing the slider will mean that a "good" input will be more or less likely to cause an edge. It'd be nice to know because right now edges are way too high.
edges are way too high, what are your current difficulty settings?

Wealey

ICC Board Member

The higher it is the more likely that output will generate an edge..

Users who are viewing this thread