West Indies Tour of England - May to June 2012

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I think it depends what the selectors want from the No. 6. I'd say that James Taylor and Bopara would have similar doubts over them, so if we're looking long term, then Bairstow is the right guy to persevere with. It's just a question of whether the selectors want somebody for the here and now, and pick a Compton, or similar and play him out of position down the order, just incase South Africa blow the top order apart.

Which I can't see happening by the way. Cook, Trott and KP will be more than up for facing Steyn and co, and guys like that thrive on the top level confrontations.

I really fail to see the logic in deciding that we need to preserveer with Bairstow as hes a better prospect long term than Taylor. Just look at Taylor's record and he's had success in the Lions side apart from last Winter. Taylor's a much better pick for me both technically, on experience and on record.

WestIndian

vBookie Team
I don't expect another miracle from Sammy sad truth but anything can happen in cricket. As for Tim Bresnan after Lord's I thought he was the weak link in the England team but he proved me wrong in this 2nd test.

As to why we allowed Edwards to come out in stead of Sammy that I guess we will never know, poor Edwards hope he will not need to see shrink after this series, poor lad is lost at sea.

westindies2007

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Barath and Powell Opening pair isnt working. k Edward not feeling well this match. Plus look out of sort this series. D Bravo have gone back in a patch.

Chanderpaul Poor guy.

West Indies Selectors got to do something with our top 3.
Yeah K Edward maybe going thru a Patch. but losing the top 3 for Below 50, in 2 matches.
Since Sarwan isn't avaible, lets Bring back Gayle to Open Replacing Powell.
We tried this young partnership, but it Failed.

Owzat

International Coach
I am beginning to worry about the SA series. Total lack of application from most our batters again against a second rate attack. Gone it seems are the days of innings and 10 wicket victories.
I'm just very pessimistic about our chances later this summer based on this series so far.

I said about Strauss that getting a double wouldn't prove much, a double of a slightly different nature doesn't prove much either (2x100 as opposed to 1x200)

The windies are clearly incapable of sustaining a performance, I'm a little surprised Shandy Paul didn't stick at number five, by the time he is coming in the back of the innings is broken and it is backs to the walls time. He moved up one place, personally I would have either had him at three or opening. Their bowling isn't up to sustaining of pressure, they fought back well today only to wave a white flag in their own 2nd innings. Strauss' wanting only to bat once looked well off, now it is being made to look a lot closer than it should have been.

Chanderpaul's innings - score at the offset

86/3 : made 87no with little support - 157 added for last 7 wickets
36/3 : made 91 with support from Samuels - 157 added for 5th wicket, 309 added overall

42/3 : made 46, Samuels and Sammy added 204 for the 7th wicket and 328 were added overall
14/2 : made 11, currently 61/6 with not a lot of hope of making England work hard for the win.

So on average just 45 runs have been on the board when he's made his way to the crease. West Indies were 136/6 in their 1st innings, England 267 by the time their 3rd wicket fell. And in the 1st Test England were 244 by the time the 3rd wicket fell, helps to have a couple of hundred runs on the board by that stage, although England did fall to 57/4 in the chase despite assertions by BBC they somehow "cruised"

Good to see Timbo step up and be counted by knocking over the keeper who's had a mare of a series (56 runs @ 14.00), Bravo who hasn't fared much better (75 runs @ 18.75) and the sick Edwards. If this had been a true two horse race they'd have shot the donkey from the carribean out of kindness! :D (just kidding) Nah, the windies have shown some fight but they've lacked substance in the top order batting, and their bowling lacks cutting edge. They show flashes, but this isn't an ODI or T20.

WestIndian

vBookie Team
Barath and Powell Opening pair isnt working. k Edward not feeling well this match. Plus look out of sort this series. D Bravo have gone back in a patch.

Chanderpaul Poor guy.

West Indies Selectors got to do something with our top 3.
Yeah K Edward maybe going thru a Patch. but losing the top 3 for Below 50, in 2 matches.
Since Sarwan isn't avaible, lets Bring back Gayle to Open Replacing Powell.
We tried this young partnership, but it Failed.

It is Sunday mate you think they are listening? I mean this is pathetic to the core, and truly what is the point to gain? That in some crap interview we will hear both captain and coach come out with the same rhetoric match after match, but will not admit that we are lost from all cardinal points, to keep saying that we will take positives out of the lost? Is like you get a grade C and your parents smiles and gives you a present and you keep getting C and they keep it up in stead of giving you a cut ass to let you know that you can get an A. I don't blame the top 3, truth is they played down here in front of home crowds, music and bacchanal not realizing even when they failed they were cheered, now they have been exposed to the real deal and they realized there are no festival and no pan and drums and the reality have hit them HARD and they can't handle it! So let us wait for Sammy's second miracle and we might just lose on the 5th day and the WICB, Gibson and Sammy will come out forget day 3 and chat about the "positives" Jah alone that know, am out!

westindies2007

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
It is Sunday mate you think they are listening? I mean this is pathetic to the core, and truly what is the point to gain? That in some crap interview we will hear both captain and coach come out with the same rhetoric match after match, but will not admit that we are lost from all cardinal points, to keep saying that we will take positives out of the lost? Is like you get a grade C and your parents smiles and gives you a present and you keep getting C and they keep it up in stead of giving you a cut ass to let you know that you can get an A. I don't blame the top 3, truth is they played down here in front of home crowds, music and bacchanal not realizing even when they failed they were cheered, now they have been exposed to the real deal and they realized there are no festival and no pan and drums and the reality have hit them HARD and they can't handle it! So let us wait for Sammy's second miracle and we might just lose on the 5th day and the WICB, Gibson and Sammy will come out forget day 3 and chat about the "positives" Jah alone that know, am out!

To be honest it would be a Positive form West Indies, by my hope is this am is going to done before Lunch tomorrow or just after lunch, I don't see WI getting score past 120 -150. and Again Sammy isnt a Test Player he is More a T20/ODI player which think the Selectors need to do., i dont see him Pulling this Back, Unless he start playing test cricket with his bat, Why Go out there Score 50 - 100 and West Indies only have 200 Lead with one day to go for England to hit off.

I dont Blame for Gibson for saying that lol Since if it to happen it's an impressive thing. Only thing i Hate about Gibson is his Attitude torward the senior player, I Do again also de senior player are to at fault, but He is de coach and need to see the Benefit of West Indies Cricket. TBH i dont blame, Gibson NOR sammy, My Blame is WICB, and the selectors, because they are letting thing Go as nothing is happening.
Because If we do notice A Young Team Coach by Gibson have been impressive, imaging If Gibson Do this toward the senior player and treat them like what they position is, West Indies would be unbeatable. Gibson do have a positive thing, better than all Past WI coach, but his approach is Aweful.

Anyway, we can talk all we like, until de Day come When we get a Proper Organisation, and player Playing Together young and Old as a team, and don feel no one is bigger than no one a that everyone is Willing to work together, then We will start winning, We are currently Been competitive, even with a young team with less experience, but what lack is unit in WI.

I would Love a surpise 3rd Test Gayle in for Powell, Narine in For Shillinford, Dywane Bravo/Pollard in K Edwards. would be good. at least we could save a whitewash. With if we draw this match

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
I really fail to see the logic in deciding that we need to preserveer with Bairstow as hes a better prospect long term than Taylor. Just look at Taylor's record and he's had success in the Lions side apart from last Winter. Taylor's a much better pick for me both technically, on experience and on record.

You'd stick in Taylor who can't buy a run batting lower than Samit Patel at Notts? At least Bairstow has the confidence of getting runs this year, even if it is in Division Two.

Like I said, for me, I'd rather see Bairstow given a go than going back to Bopara or even Patel. But in reality, if England want to put out their best 6 batsmen right now, they'd either pick Compton, or stick Hildreth in, as a guy who can score quickly and is doing reasonably well at the moment.

They won't though, they'll probably restore Bopara for the South Africa series and watch him get destroyed by Steyn.

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
The last match Taylor played was against this West Indian attack for the England Lions and he scored a century.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Well he put that to good use with his 5 in the current game, getting out to a part time off-spinner. You can't throw a guy who can't score in a competitive game, in against the best pace bowler in the world. Like I said, at least Bairstow has runs behind him, which is why he was chosen. Picking for the future is pointless, unless they deserve to be in the team now. And say what you want about Bairstow, but out of the guys in around the England and Lions' teams, he's been the best performer so far this season.

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
You can't throw a guy who can't score in a competitive game

If you've followed his season you'd know Taylor's been getting plenty of scores just not going on. He's already proven he can score against a test attack he did it just the other week.

Bairstow in my opinion isn't test standard at the moment, looks way to raw at this level. Should be given at least another season to get some runs under his belt and more experience.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Getting plenty of scores? He hasn't passed 50 in ten championship innings, for Gods sake. I don't think a century against a West Indies side warming up is enough to counter that. He's been in poor form for two seasons now and no amount of decent scores against touring teams in non competitive games changes that. I don't see why you have this obsession with him. If he deserves his place, he should get big scores to back that up and he hasn't. Potential isn't enough to pick him on without scores. If he starts nailing centuries left and right for Notts, then fair enough, stick him in. But now? No way.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
We need to give him a proper run at 6. It's not good for the team to chop and change after a few failures. His weakness against the short ball does look to be a concern but I still think he should be given the rest of the summer at 6.

Users who are viewing this thread