Super 8: 16th Match India v WI

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Unless we doing something special against England and SA, it's pretty much over for us...Seems like we have choked when it comes to the proper teams.
I'm hoping it's that we play our best when we are backed into the wall. That's what happened last time. When it came to must-win games we were in top form.

Our fielding has got to improve dramatically, though, as does our death bowling. We may see a 7th batter come in for the next match in the form of KKD.

sohum added 0 Minutes and 51 Seconds later...

The 6 of the last ball against Zaheer didn't help. Would've been better for India if they had got it in singles.
Yup, I was just about to post that I hoped it went into the last over when Bravo blasted that six.

Leggie

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Personally Gambhir and Raina have always looked like getting out to me, either that or not scoring quick enough.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Unless we doing something special against England and SA, it's pretty much over for us...Seems like we have choked when it comes to the proper teams.

We lost to NZ last time but we still beat England and SA and went to the semis. So we have been in this situation.

Next match, we need some serious thinking to do regarding the batting order. Dhoni being in this form, should either bat at No.3 or should bat way down at No.7 thereby making sure he doesnt bat at all (or he should go for the broke from the word go). I also dont know why Dhoni brought back Ishant back with only 3 overs to go. Ishant gets smashed at that point often. I would have brought back Irfan (also Irfan had figures of 9 runs from 2 overs with a wicket. Dhoni just didnt have a good game at all today. He also missed an easy run out when both batsmen were on the same side.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Why? Because they dont want a good team to continue doing good. Now I know how Australian fans feel when other team fans bay for Australia's blood even when they are good.

It's not the Indian team, it's some of the people on this forum.

jazz

Panel of Selectors
Indian fans have been saying that West Indies are a one man team and if Gayle gets out then the whole team fails.

Well I feel this is the same with India. Against Bangladesh they wern't really on top until Yuvraj came on and today against West Indies if Yuvraj failed then India would of got a much lower score.

So really you could say with India if Yuvraj fails India will struggle!

Leggie

Chairman of Selectors
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Dhoni doesn't realise his strengths. I know he had to rebuild after the sudden loss of wickets but 11 of 23 is a petty atempt. I don't really like him being a 'nudger'. He's far better off smacking them through point.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
I'm hoping it's that we play our best when we are backed into the wall. That's what happened last time. When it came to must-win games we were in top form.

Our fielding has got to improve dramatically, though, as does our death bowling. We may see a 7th batter come in for the next match in the form of KKD.

I agree. But KKD? Why? I am not sure how well he would do. And who would you drop from this lineup? Ishant is the guy that can be dropped. I wont drop Irfan because it would weaken our bowling (he is quite good in T20's). Harbhajan bowled tight and is always crucial in T20. Ojha picked up a wicket today and wasnt terribly bad. Zaheer cant be dropped as he is one of our key bowlers. I think we might bring in RP Singh in place of Irfan or Ishant

Its sad that Dhoni is being torn apart by many online Indian fans/bloggers, etc. Really shows how fickle the Indian supporters can be. And also they dont like seeing people being praised (the praise Dhoni has got so far, it has made people start dislike him that now when he fails, he is the lamb).

Last edited:

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Indian fans have been saying that West Indies are a one man team and if Gayle gets out then the whole team fails.

Well I feel this is the same with India. Against Bangladesh they wern't really on top until Yuvraj came on and today against West Indies if Yuvraj failed then India would of got a much lower score.

So really you could say with India if Yuvraj fails India will struggle!
Twenty20 is actually a one-man game, if you go through and analyze all the matches (I'm planning to do something like that one of these days). Unlike ODI's, when you can win a fair number of games by putting up a good team performance (such as 1 or 2 low 50's and a couple of starts, and the wickets being shared around). In Twenty20, though, you need at least one bloke to stand up and rise above the others to win. And the limitation on the number of overs means that this is usually 1 or at most two people.

Today Bravo was that man, whereas it has usually been Gayle for the Windies. In fact, if you look at pure Twenty20 match-winners in their team, I think the list would stop at Gayle and Bravo. Edwards and Taylor can bowl a few awesome spells, but they can get carted around just as easily (as was the case against Sri Lanka).

India, in contrast, has a number of match-winners. Sharma, Raina, Yuvraj and Dhoni are all capable of taking the game completely away, single-handedly. Today all of them except Yuvi failed along with our fielding, while for the Windies Bravo stood up in place of Gayle with some good support from Simmons. Even Edwards and Taylor, who bowled so well at the beginning, were carted around towards the end.

sohum added 0 Minutes and 49 Seconds later...

I agree. But KKD? Why? I am not sure how well he would do. And who would you drop from this lineup? Ishant is the guy that can be dropped. I wont drop Irfan because it would weaken our bowling (he is quite good in T20's). Harbhajan bowled tight and is always crucial in T20. Ojha picked up a wicket today and wasnt terribly bad. Zaheer cant be dropped as he is one of our key bowlers. I think we might bring in RP Singh in place of Irfan or Ishant
We have to drop Ishant. Irfan is too useful in these swinging conditions, while Ishant comes on to the bat nicely.

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
Great win of West Indies. They did it even without Gayle performing. Somehow West Indies bowling was pretty good today. Luckily for India Yuvraj Singh and the rest of the late order batsmen made a decent total. Harbhajan Singh's 3 fours at the end were very handy.

Good thing for West Indies is now that they've got another bowler taking wickets, alongside Bravo. And another batsman, Simmons is making runs as well. He also took a great catch.

I am expecting India will beat England, but it's going to be difficult against South Africa.

West Indies have to play tomorrow again at 12.30 GMT and personally I would favour South Africa to win. So the match against England will be crucial for them.

Leggie

Chairman of Selectors
Yeah, RP for Ishant. Ishant isn't bowling full enough really. RP can get the ball up there and swing it.

Don't see how Karthik can come into the side. The fielding errors were only mistakes and not because our fielding ability is poor, although it cost us the match. :rolleyes: Our fielding is actually pretty strong now, everyone is athletic maybe barring Ishant.

No need to change the batsmen either, when firing our batsmen can post 200. I just wouldn't let Dhoni bat so high, keep him as a finisher. Then again, he is the captain and decides where he wants to bat.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
No need to change the batsmen either, when firing our batsmen can post 200. I just wouldn't let Dhoni bat so high, keep him as a finisher. Then again, he is the captain and decides where he wants to bat.
He just seems to be thinking way too much, instead of being the fearless leader he was in 2007. A lot of this probably has to do with how much we have to lose here, whereas in 2007 everyone discounted us and expected an Australia-South Africa final.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Yeah, RP for Ishant. Ishant isn't bowling full enough really. RP can get the ball up there and swing it.

Don't see how Karthik can come into the side. The fielding errors were only mistakes and not because our fielding ability is poor, although it cost us the match. :rolleyes: Our fielding is actually pretty strong now, everyone is athletic maybe barring Ishant.

RP Singh wouldn't be too much of an upgrade over Sharma, play a extra batsmen instead.

Leggie

Chairman of Selectors
RP Singh wouldn't be too much of an upgrade over Sharma, play a extra batsmen instead.

True, RP is a hit and miss guy.

Praveen Kumar is also an option, he is somewhat tidy and get the ball to move.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
True, RP is a hit and miss guy.

Praveen Kumar is also an option, he is somewhat tidy and get the ball to move.

Yeah, maybe we could try Praveen Kumar too. He is good at bowling the opening overs. Zaheer and Praveen will open the bowling, Irfan will handle the middle and the death overs. I feel this combination will work. Irfan succeeded last time in the middle and the death overs only. The thing with Ishant is, he is neither good at the beginning nor at the end. He is good in the middle when the batsmen are tied down by the fielding restrictions. You cant fit in all 4 overs of one of your strike bowlers within the 6th and the 15th over.

Edit: I actually broke my standalone fan today in anger for today's loss. Its down to pieces now (got a good showdown from my parents):p

Users who are viewing this thread