C09 FAQ: Ashes Cricket Issues, Fixes and Common Questions

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Online Cricket Games Owned
Q) Are there pink balls/trophies in the gam?
Ans) Yes, yes there are.

Q) Are there any punishments for quitters in Online play?
Ans) Nope

Since we're talking balls (!), does the new ball look like a new ball? In the demo, I didn't think it was a dark enough red - looked about forty overs old to me. BLIC 2007's ball was perfect (one of the few things about that game that were any good).

upset_the_setup

School Cricketer
X Box 360 version question

Hi, just signed up here but I've been a visitor to the site for a while now. I haven't bought Ashes 09 yet, mostly due to my concern at it being another huge let down after the dreadful Brian Lara 07.

In deciding whether to spend 40 quid on this game, I cannot make out from what I've read here as to whether it is indeed worth it. To those out there who disliked BL07, would you recommend 09? The thing about 07 was that the AI was so stupid. I often ended up batting both sides in a game because the bowling was a joke. Yorkers seemed to do the trick 9 times out of 10.

I have a few Qs that I haven't seen mentioned here yet (if I missed them posted somewhere else, I apologise). Firstly, its good that we can correct the unofficial names now (for teams apart from Aus/Eng) but can you change stats on those players or do you have to create them anew?

Secondly, how much has the AI improved? On 07, the computer batting didnt seem to distiniguish between a test match or a 20 over game. Has that improved? The run outs were dreadful when you batted. The player would sprint across like normal, but rather than stretching with the bat, just sort of casually rest the bat down on the line - thus ensuring a run out for the other team. Farcical bits like that really put me off 07 , and if they haven't improved that, I can't say i will buy the new one.

Thirdly, the edit mode. Can you create a new team? Say, for example, I want to create a county side. Is there a way I can name a team 'kent', include players of my choosing in it, and design a kit? I know its not why many people buy the game, but customisation adds longevity to a game in my opinion.

Much appreciated if anyone can help me out. I know it seems like a lot, but after wasting 40 quid on 07, which was a step back from 05 which I really liked on the PS2, I can't afford to waste money on a game which may not have improved its many flaws.

D

Dutch

Hi, just signed up here but I've been a visitor to the site for a while now. I haven't bought Ashes 09 yet, mostly due to my concern at it being another huge let down after the dreadful Brian Lara 07.

In deciding whether to spend 40 quid on this game, I cannot make out from what I've read here as to whether it is indeed worth it. To those out there who disliked BL07, would you recommend 09? The thing about 07 was that the AI was so stupid. I often ended up batting both sides in a game because the bowling was a joke. Yorkers seemed to do the trick 9 times out of 10.

I have a few Qs that I haven't seen mentioned here yet (if I missed them posted somewhere else, I apologise). Firstly, its good that we can correct the unofficial names now (for teams apart from Aus/Eng) but can you change stats on those players or do you have to create them anew?

Secondly, how much has the AI improved? On 07, the computer batting didnt seem to distiniguish between a test match or a 20 over game. Has that improved? The run outs were dreadful when you batted. The player would sprint across like normal, but rather than stretching with the bat, just sort of casually rest the bat down on the line - thus ensuring a run out for the other team. Farcical bits like that really put me off 07 , and if they haven't improved that, I can't say i will buy the new one.

Thirdly, the edit mode. Can you create a new team? Say, for example, I want to create a county side. Is there a way I can name a team 'kent', include players of my choosing in it, and design a kit? I know its not why many people buy the game, but customisation adds longevity to a game in my opinion.

Much appreciated if anyone can help me out. I know it seems like a lot, but after wasting 40 quid on 07, which was a step back from 05 which I really liked on the PS2, I can't afford to waste money on a game which may not have improved its many flaws.

If you go through a few of the impression threads you'll get some good answers that wil help you make a decision. As for it being better than BLIC07 there is absolutely no doubt. If you are getting the PC version (and 40 quid sounds alot if you are to be honest) then you can expect lots of mods and patches that will make things more editable. They are to a certain degree within the game but there are limits. Mods will see to that. The AI is still an issue but much better and the general concensus as that it is a good game with some flaws that need rectifying either officialy or unofficially. If you are a hardcore cricket fan then this one seems to be the most promising for a very long time, but opinions vary!

cooks1st100

Panel of Selectors
...or is the bounce a bit variable?

Sorry I can't post screenshots to help, but I don't know how to take them in the first place; neither do I know how to add them as thumbnails.

So, I'll use my excellent writing skills (!) to show you what I mean.

The AI bowls a full delivery at me that I should only be able to play forwards to, yet it bounces more than high enough to play backwards to - it's like it was bowled on a good length, not a full length. This happens all the time.

I bowl a ball at the AI which would be classed a short ball, not quite a bouncer, but shorter than a good length. He plays a front foot cover drive to it. So I watch the action replay closely and even though the ball was bowled relatively short, the bounce was nowhere near as much as it should be.

This leads me to think that there's too much bounce on a full length and not enough on a short length. This test was done at Lords, in the PC demo.

Oh and the pitchmap doesn't seem to tally with the actual deliveries that were bowled.

Are you listening, Mr Heath? Do some work on proper bowling lengths and sort this out in a patch. :)

The bounce is variable and different wickets seem to be different which is a positive but short balls dont generate any height and i get called by the umpire if its chest height or over even if the batsman has hit the ball

shan111

Associate Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Force feedback for Xbox360 controller (PC) ?

I played the PC demo with my xbox360 controller for PC. There was no force feedback vibration. Is the force feedback vibration actually supported by the game?

diaskasun

Club Cricketer
Guys I am just asking, have any one of our members started work on doing a patch for the game which will result in fixing runout bug, Test AI batting bug etc,…. Please say yes

sanu55

Club Cricketer
game probs

there are huge block borders on the up and downside of screen while playing the demo .is there a way to get rid of it?does it exist in full game too

also the game looks vey dark in 1024X768 resolution , it gets difficult to spot the ball even in clear weather.in 800X600 the game gets too bright ,also the border reduces but the graphics look bad.

can anyone suggest something?

NAMAN

School Cricketer
yes the border on up and down side is also in the full game i am also having this problem
do you find any solution???:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm

renoldino

Club Cricketer
there are huge block borders on the up and downside of screen while playing the demo .is there a way to get rid of it?does it exist in full game too

also the game looks vey dark in 1024X768 resolution , it gets difficult to spot the ball even in clear weather.in 800X600 the game gets too bright ,also the border reduces but the graphics look bad.

can anyone suggest something?

This is because there is no aspect ratio option to choose, you have to force it from outside. ie from your graphic card options, look for scaling options, In my case even from my graphic card I can't , so I tried all resolution from the game 1280*720 makes full screen and removes the annoying bars in my wide screen and turned off special effects option, the game runs smooth.
In 800*600 the game runs smooth with wide screen borders but with bad graphics even the red, orange, green ring to catch looks blurred and one colored.
So try changing resolution till you get a full screen until someone come up with better idea.

somersetargyle

School Cricketer
one of the things i dont like is that defensive shots have the same sensitivity for timing as attacking shots; i find this annoying as it doesnt give much incentive to defend as it is just as dangerous as attacking - ive lost count of the number of times iv been caught by the wicket keeper off the spinner playing a forward defensive:mad:

pingusten

Club Cricketer
one of the things i dont like is that defensive shots have the same sensitivity for timing as attacking shots; i find this annoying as it doesnt give much incentive to defend as it is just as dangerous as attacking - ive lost count of the number of times iv been caught by the wicket keeper off the spinner playing a forward defensive:mad:

Surely thats a positive, in real cricket the defensive stroke isnt 100% guranteed to keep the ball out.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
I don't find it easy to get singles off defensive shots. Usually you have to play straight and the bowler fields it. I find it I try to work it on the on or off side I often get out lbw as the batsman lunges across the line.

somersetargyle

School Cricketer
Surely thats a positive, in real cricket the defensive stroke isnt 100% guranteed to keep the ball out.

obviously not but it doesnt need to be timed so precisely to do its job - attacking shots should be more risky in order to encourage sensible play or else it just follows the idea that its an odi slogfest - i know this would be devisive because noone wants it to be too easy but i just think making a defensive shot more reliable would be better for the mindset of the player

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
I agree about the relative risk. Assuming the chance is similar of getting out off a defensive or aggressive stroke it encourages you to play the aggressive one.

Users who are viewing this thread