World Cup Group A - Pool Matches Discussion Thread

S

Satan666

No team deserves to win, rather destined for failure and thats what happened to England today. I am not a fan of Bangladeshi at all but its a good wakeup call for the English selectors and management with the recent KP/Trott issues and all.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I respect Moores for coming out so quickly and facing the music but he must realise this is the lowest point. He also appears to have aged about 20 years since this tournament started.

B_p4vl4WIAASK62.jpg:large

S

Satan666

Oh dear. What a match. I thought Jordan should have been given the benefit of doubt. But irrespective, Bangladesh deserved to win the match.

It's very likely now that India will face Bangladesh in the Quarter Finals.
You made two key points in this post:

-Jordan's dismissal remains highly questionable
-India face Bangladesh in the QF

Surely INDIA would've rather Bangla in any case since the English defeated them last month comprehensively. So we see the long term effect of the Jordan dismissal, the reasons I leave up to the imagination.

themusketeer

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Won 4x money on Bangladesh's Win :p .
A well deserved victory and very much pleased to see England going home. A shock was needed for English cricket so they start taking ODIs seriously too.
-Bring in some young talents.
-Dont select a player in ODIs because he is good in Tests.
-Make some good use of Taylor capabilities.

Well done Tigers.

PokerAce

Banned
Jordan was not out. Not that it should be any consolation or well an excuse for England, but 7 down in a chase and 8 down in a chase, make a big difference at times. Its the World Cup and it wouldn't exactly hurt to get decisions right. While its not an excuse, but one does feel for England, I would be pissed if something like that happened to India.

India vs Bangladesh is not a given, for if B'desh beat Kiwis, then India could potentially end up facing SL. Also if India lose the final two games, then India mayn't even end up on top. Having said this iF India losing the final two games, is coupled with B'desh beating Kiwis, then India may yet end up facing B'desh afterall.

So while its very likely, but still not a given that India will play B'desh. Also the glee I sense from the fans at the prospect of India vs B'desh is frankly a little worrying. B'desh will not be a rollover. India need to be prepared.

As for England, well they were expected to lose to Aus and Kiwis, but their performances against SL and B'desh calls for much scrutiny. THey really should have been able to defend a 300+ total, and to be honest should never have let B'desh get to 275 having put them into bat and then having had them 10/2. In both those matches England let the game drift in the 10-35 overs area.

Often the reaction to upsets is extreme, and England are being said to be the worst ever and B'desh the greatest side ever, the fact is that often in these cases the truth is in between. England do need to improve their ODI game, no doubt, but the criticism is a little over the top as it tends to be in these cases.

One thing I am happy about is the B'desh fans have something to cheer. B'desh are the among the most passionate fans cricket has ever seen, who have time and again been let down by the team. It sort of takes me back to the 90s, when I was a total Indian fan, but with a sh!t team to cheer for, and there were plenty of disappointments along the way. SO I am happy that B'desh fans have a great win to cheer. They deserve it.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
Not really, we would rather have England then Bangladesh. I mean now India have to actually prepare for that game.

i don't know about that. england beat us in the tri-series. i am very happy with this result. i think we would have won both games, but this is definitely the preferred opponent.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Jordan was not out. Not that it should be any consolation or well an excuse for England, but 7 down in a chase and 8 down in a chase, make a big difference at times. Its the World Cup and it wouldn't exactly hurt to get decisions right. While its not an excuse, but one does feel for England, I would be pissed if something like that happened to India.

India vs Bangladesh is not a given, for if B'desh beat Kiwis, then India could potentially end up facing SL. Also if India lose the final two games, then India mayn't even end up on top. Having said this iF India losing the final two games, is coupled with B'desh beating Kiwis, then India may yet end up facing B'desh afterall.

So while its very likely, but still not a given that India will play B'desh. Also the glee I sense from the fans at the prospect of India vs B'desh is frankly a little worrying. B'desh will not be a rollover. India need to be prepared.

As for England, well they were expected to lose to Aus and Kiwis, but their performances against SL and B'desh calls for much scrutiny. THey really should have been able to defend a 300+ total, and to be honest should never have let B'desh get to 275 having put them into bat and then having had them 10/2. In both those matches England let the game drift in the 10-35 overs area.

Often the reaction to upsets is extreme, and England are being said to be the worst ever and B'desh the greatest side ever, the fact is that often in these cases the truth is in between. England do need to improve their ODI game, no doubt, but the criticism is a little over the top as it tends to be in these cases.

One thing I am happy about is the B'desh fans have something to cheer. B'desh are the among the most passionate fans cricket has ever seen, who have time and again been let down by the team. It sort of takes me back to the 90s, when I was a total Indian fan, but with a sh!t team to cheer for, and there were plenty of disappointments along the way. SO I am happy that B'desh fans have a great win to cheer. They deserve it.
The quarter finals are not related to where teams finish in the group stages. We know that India v Bangladesh will be on 19th March.

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
i don't know about that. england beat us in the tri-series. i am very happy with this result. i think we would have won both games, but this is definitely the preferred opponent.

Well the way we played that tri-series, it looked like we didn't give a shit about that tournament. I mean when Stuart Binny is opening the bowling for the Indian team, you know how much they care.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
The quarter finals are not related to where teams finish in the group stages.
They are. The only thing that was fixed is the location of where matches involving certain teams were going to be played.

QF Criteria 1 - Allocation of Host teams to QF Venues

a) If AUSTRALIA qualifies to play in a QF, then it will be played at the Adelaide Oval on Friday 20 March, regardless of where AUSTRALIA finishes on the Pool A table.

b) If NEW ZEALAND qualifies to play in a QF, then it will be played at the Wellington Stadium on Saturday 21 March, regardless of where NEW ZEALAND finishes on the Pool A table.

QF Criteria 2 - Allocation of 2 “next highest ranked” Pool A teams to QF Venues

c) If SRI LANKA qualifies to play in a QF, then it will be played at the SCG on Wednesday 18 March, regardless of where SRI LANKA finishes on the Pool A table.

d) If ENGLAND qualifies to play in a QF, then it will be played at the MCG on Thursday 19 March, regardless of where ENGLAND finishes on the Pool A table.
Finals - Fixtures | Cricket Fixtures - World Cup 2015 | Official Website

As England are the only one of those who didn't qualify, Bangladesh take over their spot, and the MCG match by default.

Who they play is still determined by this formula:

Quarter-final 1 A1 v B4
Quarter-final 2 A2 v B3
Quarter Final 3 A3 v B2
Quarter Final 4 A4 v B1

At the moment based on the table it would be a India v Sri Lanka game - but Group B will be very tight.

Users who are viewing this thread