Around the world in 80 pitch sliders.....

D

Dutch

These are such good settings! I wish the author would develop them further for Cricket 19 but he hasn't been around lately. But Wasteyouryouth's indications are correct as well.

Isura

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Played a lot more hours with these sliders, mostly with the England settings. I've improved a lot at batting so I can manage to play on your current settings (timing window 78, cursor window 9). Overall these present a great challenge and a realistic run rate ~3 rpo for me.

The only thing I would like to tweak is the exaggerated seem movement with the England settings. The day 2 or day 3 pitch and ball friction settings seem more appropriate. I see some crazy movement on day 1 especially, which is not realistic (it's not safe to leave balls 2 feet outside off stump).

Is pitch and ball friction the best way to control seam movement? Or I'm thinking England should also use the dry wicket setting, since the issue might be the grassy wicket setting.

CuriousityKilledAmeriCat

School Cricketer
Does who has played both Ashes Cricket and Cricket 19 know whether these setting adjustments would still be applicable to Cricket 19? Or does anyone have suggestions on base-level general settings & physics sliders for cricket 19?

History

I created a set of pitch and physics sliders as a "base" that seemed a consensus from some people playing on these forums. This link https://www.planetcricket.org/forum...-0-0-12-and-steam.112288/page-13#post-3313449 by @wasteyouryouth played a part, as did a youtube video by @Mohammed Sherry, https://www. youtube.com/watch?v=kPBKibWWckc (remove the space after www. and it'll work). Thanks to both of you.

I also found some interesting stuff on pitch and ball friction which having played, I think has merit. The original discussion came from @Mrakh and can be found here https://www.planetcricket.org/forum...al-slider-settings.111153/page-3#post-3314516 Also, thank you for this.

With regards to the friction levels, I've generally seen more fine nicks as my games progress and these numbers come down. On day 1 and 2, most edges are being taken at gully and slip, but by day 3, a miss-time will result in a feather to the keeper. If people find different, let me know.

After further testing, universal ball and pitch friction numbers have been reduced. Although in theory a higher friction slider helps the batsman with the potential for fewer edges, it also increases the lateral movement on offer for all bowlers, negating that advantage. As such, the higher slider values on Day 1 and Day 2 have been reduced, but later values have only received smaller alterations. If you prefer a challenge, or want to create very seamer friendly conditions (though higher friction will also aid the amount a spinner can move it to), the original values may be for you. Original values will provide balls that can do this (https://www.planetcricket.org/forum...n-80-pitch-sliders.112469/page-5#post-3317450). If that is what you're after, or feel that is a realistic amount of movement for certain conditions, give it a go.

I'm not saying these sliders are great. I'm not saying they're correct. I'll explain why I've put certain numbers down for certain things, but that doesn't mean the results will match the logic. Some people will also have way more experience than me watching cricket on pitches in certain parts of the world. That's a good thing, feel free to chip in with that knowledge where required.

Purpose

Ultimately, these may prove to be terrible. I've enjoyed the cricket I've played with these sliders so far, though it has been limited. Maybe these sliders will provide a base for others to then tweak to their own liking, that's fine.

I've not used any of these sliders in ODIs and T20s, for reference. I mainly play Test Cricket personally, but that's just me.

If anyone wants to try these sliders and feedback on their experiences, that would be very handy. I get limited PS4 time these days with a wife and 2 kids, so no doubt others will get far more opportunity to use these than me. Maybe over time we'll have something that works pretty well for a majority of people. If not, well, I'll probably keep using them anyway when I eventually do get on to play :)

Any changes made from the original post have been done in red. I have also done a strikethrough to show what the previous number/setting was before the change. Where possible, I've also detailed why the change has been made in the theory section for that specific country.

General Settings
I use the following. Different strokes for different folks, as they say, but this is what I prefer based on my own ability.

Settings

Veteran Difficulty

Bowling
Release Window - 5
Foot Window - 15
Spin - 80

Batting
Marker - 11 9 (pitch marker, no aerial marker)
Timing - 85
Foot Placement - 85
Bowl Quality - 100
Shot Choice - 85

Edge Chance - 89 95
Window - 80 78

I like that a good ball has the best chance to get me out. A combination of the Edge Chance, Foot Placement and Shot Choice means that not every early/ok/late timing will result in an edge, but it does happen fairly frequently. For me, I prefer that, it's the beautiful difficulty of batting, but it might not be for everybody.

With previous settings, I was finding there was a slight delay between the pitch marker appearing and needing to play a shot. That slight delay was really throwing me off and I was edging a lot with poor timing. Two changes have sorted that, but the pitch marker now displays slightly later, making for more of a "see ball, hit ball" approach, rather than "see ball, wait slightly, hit ball". It's more intuitive, which I prefer.

As a by-product of being happier with the timing, I'm now feeling I'm "better" at batting, more good/ideal timings. As such, I've knocked the edge chance up as a result.

Where there are 5 numbers, these are the settings I put in place before the start of each day's play, from Day 1 through to Day 5 as he final number. I find this helps the pitch progress, though it may be an element of this is already built into the game. I have no idea, but I do know it will be in the game if I use the sliders.

England & New Zealand
England was probably the first set I tried to create as I have the most experience of watching cricket there. New Zealand is a very similar place so I used the same set up. Feel free to separate the two if you think there are differences you want to incorporate.

Pitch Set Up

Surface - Green
Hardness - Soft
Quality - Pristine
Wear - None
Quick Wear - No

Sliders

Speed Min - 69
Speed Max - 70
Spin Bounce - 40
Spin Flight - 50
Pace Swing - 92
Pace Revs - 20
Spin Drift - 32
Spin Revs - 15/17/22/30/35/
Pitch Friction - 60/45/35/25/19 50/45/35/30/24
Pitch Bounce - 45
Ball Friction - 65/50/40/30/22 55/50/40/35/27
Ball Bounce - 50
Force - 35 30 25

Theory

As I said previously, this is the closest part of the world to my default "base" settings. That includes bowling speed in particular, with other pitches going above or below these settings.

Swing is very high, as discussed by @wasteyouryouth in his post. I liked the amount of movement this setting offered on a green pitch, it felt realistic.

The spin revs originally started at 30 on Day 1, but this has been toned down to 15. Grassy surfaces do tend to encourage a lot of spin, too much for a pitch of this type in my opinion.

Pitches should generally be pristine, the standard of groundsmanship in England is generally pretty spot on.

Shot force has been universally tuned down on faster pitches. The higher the bowling speed slider, the more this slider has been reduced. This is due to the bowling speed slider also affecting the speed of the outfield and high run rates occurring in faster conditions due to the increased number of boundaries.

Shot force has been further reduced.

Pitch and ball friction has been reduced. For discussion on this, see the red paragraph at the very top of this post. I would say that these 2 countries are the main ones that can make a case for using the original friction settings to get larger seam movement, but it is personal choice. As such, these friction settings are a little higher than the norm, but still lower than the original.

Australia
Pitch Set Up

Surface - Dry
Hardness - Hard Soft
Quality - Pristine
Wear - None
Quick Wear - No

Sliders

Speed Min - 76
Speed Max - 77
Spin Bounce - 40
Spin Flight - 50
Pace Swing - 80
Pace Revs - 15
Spin Drift - 32
Spin Revs - 10/12/17/25/30
Pitch Friction - 65/50/40/30/24 40/35/30/25/20
Pitch Bounce - 50 55
Ball Friction - 70/55/45/35/27 45/40/35/30/22
Ball Bounce - 54
Force - 35 26 20

Theory

Increased bowling speed should make these pitches appear much quicker, representing their drier, harder nature. Equally, there is an increase in pitch and ball bounce. I've not tested this. The increase in bounce AND speed may be a little wild, but that's the theory.

Swing has been dialled down, but not too much. The ball should still move in Australia, just not as much as in England.

I've knocked the spin down here compared to England, but a reduction in this slider AND a change from grassy to dry in the surface may make spinning the ball too difficult.

Pitch and Ball friction are slightly higher than other grounds, making it slightly more batsman friendly with the potential for fewer edges throughout.

Again, pitches should generally be pristine, Australia know what they're doing here.

Shot force has been universally tuned down on faster pitches. The higher the bowling speed slider, the more this slider has been reduced. This is due to the bowling speed slider also affecting the speed of the outfield and high run rates occurring in faster conditions due to the increased number of boundaries.

A dry, hard pitch was proving to be the most docile in the game. As such, Australia is now a dry, soft pitch, and there has been a bit of bounce added so it doesn't become too pedestrian. This may need some further testing to ensure that the AI doesn't bowl 4 wides over/past the keeper.

Pitch and ball friction has been reduced. For discussion on this, see the red paragraph at the very top of this post. Australia has also been toned down to a slightly lower than universal friction level. It did have higher friction levels than the rest of the world originally to help batters, but this effect has now been removed.

South Africa
A hybrid between Australia and England, with a little more turn and unpredictability.

Pitch Set Up

Surface - Green
Hardness - Hard
Quality - Light
Wear - Uneven
Quick Wear - Yes

Sliders

Speed Min - 72
Speed Max - 73
Spin Bounce - 40
Spin Flight - 50
Pace Swing - 86
Pace Revs - 20
Spin Drift - 32
Spin Revs - 15/17/22/30/35/
Pitch Friction - 60/45/35/25/19 45/35/30/25/19
Pitch Bounce - 45
Ball Friction - 65/50/40/30/22 50/40/35/30/22
Ball Bounce - 50
Force - 35 28 22

Theory

Faster pitch than England, but the same bounce. Not as fast as Australia, but less bounce. Grassy like England. Hard like Australia.

Swing is between England and Australia. Could be turned up potentially.

Same spin as England, but it would be interesting to see how the change from grassy/soft in England to grassy/hard in SA affects things.

I've gone for more wear here, and starting with some cracks after incidents like the Wanderers last January, but this is probably person taste. I just wanted it a bit more different to Australia and England.

Pitch and ball friction has been reduced. For discussion on this, see the red paragraph at the very top of this post.

India & Pakistan
I've put these two together, assuming Pakistan means Pakistan and not UAE. In my happy utopia of a world, Pakistan is fine for cricket and everyone loves to play there.

Pitch Set Up

Surface - Dusty
Hardness - Soft
Quality - Light
Wear - None
Quick Wear - Yes

Sliders

Speed Min - 58
Speed Max - 59
Spin Bounce - 50
Spin Flight - 50
Pace Swing - 60
Pace Revs - 10
Spin Drift - 32
Spin Revs - 30/30/35/40/45
Pitch Bounce - 45
Ball Bounce - 45
Force - 35

Theory

As you can see, a significantly slower pitch with much less help for the quicks. Far less swing, and far less pace.

Spin bounce has gone up to help make the spinners a bit more dangerous.

Spin is much higher than the other pitches, and with a soft, dusty track, it should turn a lot. Maybe it'll turn too much, that's one to test.

Less overall bounce here than the harder pitches, but also one to test with the slower bowling speeds. I have tested Sri Lanka though, and with the keeper and slips "up", it's generally ok.

There's an argument for making these pitches a lot more placid, but that's personal choice. You do get some pretty lifeless pitches on the sub-continent, but that would generally be a bit dull for me. Maybe one to slip in to a certain stadium during a tour, but I'd rather give the advantage to ball than bat.

Pitch and ball friction has been reduced. For discussion on this, see the red paragraph at the very top of this post.

Sri Lanka
Apologies, I've made Sri Lankan pitches a bit of a mess. True or not, it still makes for a fun and challenging experience.

Pitch Set Up

Surface - Crumbly
Hardness - Soft
Quality - Pristine
Wear - None
Quick Wear - Yes

Sliders

Speed Min - 55
Speed Max - 56
Spin Bounce - 40
Spin Flight - 50
Pace Swing - 50
Pace Revs - 10
Spin Drift - 32
Spin Revs - 35/35/40/40/45
Pitch Bounce - 45
Ball Bounce - 45
Force - 35

Theory

Again, much more spin friendly, as you'd expect. In my test of Australia (me) v Sri Lanka (AI), I did still take 9 wickets in the match with Starc. Took 9 with Zampa as well though.

Spin bounce has gone back down. We're talking slow and low here.

Spin is higher here than India and Pakistan, and with the soft, crumbly pitch, it is a tough test.

These pitches should degrade pretty quickly as well, don't expect to see Day 5.

West Indies
Probably the pitch I've struggled with the most. Not sure how others have gone about this but open to suggestions. Their pitches seem to do a bit of everything, and England's batting at present probably gives an unrealistic view on them anyway!

Pitch Set Up

Surface - Dry
Hardness - Soft
Quality - Light
Wear - Worn
Quick Wear - Yes

Sliders

Speed Min - 74
Speed Max - 75
Spin Bounce - 40
Spin Flight - 50
Pace Swing - 78
Pace Revs - 20
Spin Drift - 32
Spin Revs - 20/20/25/30/30
Pitch Bounce - 43
Ball Bounce - 47
Force - 35 38 22

Theory

So more pace, right up there close to Australia, and higher than SA and England. You could do this based on which stadium you're in, but I wanted a more traditional WI pitch of yesteryear.

Swing is a little lower than Oz, England and SA, but still higher than the sub-continent. Not sure the WI is renown for it's swing, but it can move.

Spin is tricky. Teams do still seem to be able to do a bit there, so I've gone higher than England, lower than Asia.

Despite the pitch speed being high, the bounce is low. Hopefully this makes it a bit more variable.

Also, more wear and cracks here. WI pitches do tend to break up and have been spotty in the past.

Bangladesh
Expect slow and low with little going on. These could be some of the friendliest batting conditions in honesty.

Pitch Set Up

Surface - Dry
Hardness - Soft Hard
Quality - Pristine
Wear - None
Quick Wear - Yes

Sliders

Speed Min - 55
Speed Max - 56
Spin Bounce - 40
Spin Flight - 50
Pace Swing - 50
Pace Revs - 10
Spin Drift - 32
Spin Revs - 20/20/25/30/35
Pitch Friction - 60/50/45/30/25 40/35/30/25/20
Pitch Bounce - 45 40
Ball Friction - 65/55/50/35/27 45/40/35/30/22
Ball Bounce - 45 40
Force - 35

Theory

Same speed as Sri Lanka, it's a much more pedestrian affair.

Swing is low as well. Less help with the ball in general as the spin is lower as well. Plus a dry pitch is going to offer least help to the spinners out of the surfaces that can be selected.

Friction settings are higher, like Australia, to encourage a more favourable batting experience.

Bounce also remains low. Lots of work on the front foot and very little to suggest the quicks will be able to bang it in and get results.

There is still fast wear to encourage something to happen once the game gets into day 4 and 5.

The pitch has been changed from soft to hard to make it more batsman friendly. To make sure the pitch still stays "slow and low", the pitch and ball bounce have both been reduced as well.

Pitch and ball friction has been reduced. For discussion on this, see the red paragraph at the very top of this post. Bangladesh has also been toned down to have a lower than average friction level. It did have higher friction levels than the rest of the world originally to help batters.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Does who has played both Ashes Cricket and Cricket 19 know whether these setting adjustments would still be applicable to Cricket 19? Or does anyone have suggestions on base-level general settings & physics sliders for cricket 19?
Pitches and how pitches work will have changed somewhat so I don't think you'd be able to just transfer the settings across.

jmarcf

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
I find bowling boring with this settings. I get like 1 wicket per innings as my career player. Ignore this. I've been accidently using these on cricket 19 lol

Users who are viewing this thread