Around the world in 80 pitch sliders.....

D

Dutch

Edgbaston day one: me bowling. England have a tricky 10 odd overs to face!!! Ali cleaned up the tail with the old ball...great stuff...very enjoyable!

20190219213428_1.jpg 20190219213433_1.jpg

D

Dutch

Bugger bugger bugger...thrid ball...Starc under the lights on a green pitch.....umpires call....darn.....this is iundeed going to be tough!

20190219214043_1.jpg

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
look forward to trying it tonight,how have you found the australia pitches since you updated?

I was happy that although its now soft rather than hard, a good length ball still clears the stumps and the track still felt fast and lively.

In England, I’m pretty sure a good length ball generally goes as high as the bails, give or take. In Australia you have to bowl a full ball to be on the stumps. I think the LBW that @Dutch just posted looked like a good length ball in England, just clips the timber.

That said, bouncers didn’t get up too much (but we’re definately short and effective) and despite both teams bowling the short ball fairly regularly, there were no crazy wides/byes. I think NZ bowled 1 wide off a bouncer, but the keeper still took it.

Shot force looked good. Both teams hit a few sixes I seem to think, but nothing excessive and balls weren’t constantly flying to the rope. If you’re trying to force a shot, say trying to square drive a straight one or vica versa, you’re probably going to come up short of the fence, but right shot + right ball + well timed was generally fine, as it should be really.

In a Test I would imagine on day 1 and 2 it’s gonna favour the bat a bit more (especially if you work to get your batsman in), and from day 3 onwards you’ll see wickets tumble more freely. I used the day 3 settings and both teams had at least 5 edges in each innings, with a few finding fielders but most going into gaps. The difficulty for the batting side will probably be even more prevalent if some cloud cover rolls in.

All in all, pretty promising. I’ll be interested to see how you get on.

rasdan

Club Captain
I was happy that although its now soft rather than hard, a good length ball still clears the stumps and the track still felt fast and lively.

In England, I’m pretty sure a good length ball generally goes as high as the bails, give or take. In Australia you have to bowl a full ball to be on the stumps. I think the LBW that @Dutch just posted looked like a good length ball in England, just clips the timber.

That said, bouncers didn’t get up too much (but we’re definately short and effective) and despite both teams bowling the short ball fairly regularly, there were no crazy wides/byes. I think NZ bowled 1 wide off a bouncer, but the keeper still took it.

Shot force looked good. Both teams hit a few sixes I seem to think, but nothing excessive and balls weren’t constantly flying to the rope. If you’re trying to force a shot, say trying to square drive a straight one or vica versa, you’re probably going to come up short of the fence, but right shot + right ball + well timed was generally fine, as it should be really.

In a Test I would imagine on day 1 and 2 it’s gonna favour the bat a bit more (especially if you work to get your batsman in), and from day 3 onwards you’ll see wickets tumble more freely. I used the day 3 settings and both teams had at least 5 edges in each innings, with a few finding fielders but most going into gaps. The difficulty for the batting side will probably be even more prevalent if some cloud cover rolls in.

early impressions are very encouraging.Went completely with your settings for australia and the first thing i noticed was shot force.So much more realistic and i love the way that the ball no longer hits the rope in a split second.Also it may be just me but the way the ball behaves especially when new feels more realistic,seaming like it would irl.currently have the aussies 111-6(veteran difficulty) and i think it was dutch who said it but the variety of dismissals is nice.enjoyable stuff and is an improvement on how the game played prior to using your settings so hats off.

D

Dutch

Mmm I thought it would be tricky...Starc and Cummins were unplayable...at least for me any way........the bounce and seam and swing is superb on this pitch: Denly was out leaving this ball.......to be fair it swung and seamend back in miles!

20190220181456_1.jpg

20190220183146_1.jpg 20190220183143_1.jpg

Wealey

ICC Board Member

On your ODI I had more success with AI going after me when they were all set to aggressive and brute..

Just a thought...

rasdan

Club Captain
Mmm I thought it would be tricky...Starc and Cummins were unplayable...at least for me any way........the bounce and seam and swing is superb on this pitch: Denly was out leaving this ball.......to be fair it swung and seamend back in miles!

View attachment 218265

View attachment 218266 View attachment 218267

1st test at the gabba,i have aussies 178-8 which is pretty good going but im dreading having to bat.A lot of of edges have flown over and past the slips and really could have skittled them for under a hundred with a bit more luck.If i manage 100 all out i will be amazed haha

rasdan

Club Captain

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Interesting. The slider for seam revs is really quite low to stop fast bowlers from bowling off breaks! If that's a regular ball that you're seeing more frequently, something probably wants tuning back a bit.

I've also not really done anything involving Day/Night games. No clue at all how that affects these sliders I'm afraid.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Interesting. The slider for seam revs is really quite low to stop fast bowlers from bowling off breaks! If that's a regular ball that you're seeing more frequently, something probably wants tuning back a bit.

I've also not really done anything involving Day/Night games. No clue at all how that affects these sliders I'm afraid.
Pitch and ball friction are both quite high, yeah? That'll be why. It will cause more grip and movement for seamers.

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Pitch and ball friction are both quite high, yeah? That'll be why. It will cause more grip and movement for seamers.

Fair shout. Seems a bit of a double edged sword that slider then, in theory anyway. Too high and the ball will do too much. Lower it and the game generally seems to produce more edges.

Maybe the high friction/big movement deliveries are a grassy/soft pitch thing. I don’t remember any balls that moved this much in my WI v AUS Test, which was on a dry/hard pitch at that point.

This stuff feels like such guess work at times haha

D

Dutch

Fair shout. Seems a bit of a double edged sword that slider then, in theory anyway. Too high and the ball will do too much. Lower it and the game generally seems to produce more edges.

Maybe the high friction/big movement deliveries are a grassy/soft pitch thing. I don’t remember any balls that moved this much in my WI v AUS Test, which was on a dry/hard pitch at that point.

But there is definitely good variation in pitches like this and tweaking the sliders as a match goes on brings much more variation!

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner

Personally, ball friction is one of those things I'd find a number and stick at regardless of the location. In reality the ball is a constant so it shouldn't change just because of the country. Whether the game accurately reflects this reality is unclear.

If I was using Australia as my baseline for finding a good ball friction number the only exception I would make is maybe increasing it a few notches for countries that use the Dukes ball (e.g. England and West Indies).

Rohanb1

School Cricketer
Personally, ball friction is one of those things I'd find a number and stick at regardless of the location. In reality the ball is a constant so it shouldn't change just because of the country. Whether the game accurately reflects this reality is unclear.

If I was using Australia as my baseline for finding a good ball friction number the only exception I would make is maybe increasing it a few notches for countries that use the Dukes ball (e.g. England and West Indies).

Do you have a suggestion on this number?

Users who are viewing this thread