Asia Cup March 2011/12

AbhishekS

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Well played Bangladesh and congratulations Pakistan.
I was rooting for Bangladesh in this match, sad that they could not win.

I guess they batted too slowly. They probably came with a mind-set that this small target will be chased if they just manage to play 50 overs which obviously back-fired.

And I guess the paddle sweeps are responsible for the loss to some extent! Shakib played 2 or probably 3 of them successfully, but you cannot expect to connect a shot involving so much of risk each time. Rest of the Bangladeshi players also tried the paddle sweep a lot. Had they tried playing some orthodox shots, the result may have been different.

But taking nothing away from Bangladesh. They played brilliantly throughout the tournament. Pakistan won the cup but Bangladesh won hearts.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Great final and must say that Pakistan deserved the title. Even though there is a lot of talk about BD doing well, one cannot take away credit from Pakistan.

The final was BD to lose. Nazimuddin and Nasir Hossain ,there scores of 16 and 28 off 52 and 62 deliveries respectively, lost the game for them. Thats like a combined total of 44 of 20 overs ! :eek:

Good all-round show by Pak during the series, showed that they have a class bowling line-up which can do well on any given day. BD need more than this to keep going. They ought to ensure that this was not only a one-series wonder.

I also saw a few posts about Afghans in the Asia Cup. Next time round, I would really like to see them with the format of the 2004 Asia Cup being repeated. Nepal or China could also be inducted ,with the next host being a new country.

The Rock

County Cricketer
This Asia Cup was kinda refreshing with the all time Asia Cup favorites India and Sri Lanka being defeated by Bangladesh! And this time, they didn't pull it off luckily, they earned their victories. On the other side Pakistan, who were whitewashed by England made a fine comeback. Their bowling was good as usual but this time they batted pretty well too! These two teams deserved to get into the final.

I wanted Pakistan to win this one and they did but on the other side I even wanted to see Bangladesh taste a major title. But just like Laxman Sivaramakrisnan said, Pakistan won the match and Bangladesh won the hearts..!

Btw the faces of the Bangladeshi fans in the stadium clearly showed what a victory would have meant to them. So close, yet so far.

Last edited:

deepuparayil

International Cricketer
Congrats to Pakistan for winning Asia Cup.

I don't think Bangladesh suddenly become a good team, they'll struggle against a quality bowling attack outside their home grounds. I only found Tamim as an International quality batsman. I also don't understand the hype about Nasir Hossain. From the two matches I saw he had no clue against fast paced short bouncing deliveries. I think he is another case of Chauncy Gardiner.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Great final to end the tournament! Must feel wrenching for Bangladesh to lose by just 2 runs, but they played brilliantly.

How did the pitch change color so much in the last two games? Only two games back, Bangladesh chased 289 off India, and India chased 329 off Pakistan. Last two games, the scores were just too low.

Ahad

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
Pakistan
What a game between both sides. I never expected Aizaz Cheema to bowl so well in the final over but he bowled brilliantly. I am a Pakistani and a die hard Pakistani team supporter but today I felt for another team for the first time. We won the title and we are the winners no doubt about that but the way Bangladesh played was really better than all other teams. There were some mixed feelings when I saw my brothers crying. The way Mushfiq was hugged by Shakib was the heart-melting moment. To be honest they played the best cricket in the tournament.

This is the best time for them to prove themselves with this team. Their current line-up is best I've ever seen in the side. Nasir Hossain is someone Bangladesh team was looking for. I've found Nazmul Hossian far better than the other Bangladeshi pacers. Presence of Mahmudullah makes the line-up complete and the batting order is quite strong now especially under the wise captaincy of Mushfiq. I'd love to see the same team giving tough time to others from now on. I will always support Bangladesh now for the confidence and spirit they've shown. Bangladesh truly won the hearts.

BKB1991

Panel of Selectors
Think Bangladesh will struggle away from home, but if they can literally push every team at home it will be a massive step.

Also more Asian teams please. 6 is the way to go :thumbs

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Watched the highlights. Heart wrenching stuff at the end! Felt a lot of sympathy for Bangladesh there. Had they lost by 20-30 runs, they wouldn't have felt this bad. But losing by just 2 runs when they are so desperately trying to win their first ever major tournament must hurt really bad. The tears were justified (people saying "ban people crying in cricket" and all just dont understand other people and their personalities properly enough and are therefore immature).

Hope they do go on soon to win a tournament (not featuring India though:p:D).

sattar

Club Captain
I was saying from first day of the asia cup that pakistan can win with the bowling. I having total faith in them and they prove right.Plus i must say u bangladesh won whole pakistans heart and many others really pak won the match bangladesh won million of hearts

Last edited:

Ahad

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Asia cup is the one of the finest platform to promote cricket. The term "Asia Cup" itself sounds big but it's weird when you see just 4 teams in the tournament. In my opinion, there must be 6 teams at least. Inclusion of Afghanistan, Hong Kong, Nepal or any other associate/affiliate member would be great. Asia Cup became interesting this time just because of Bangaldesh otherwise it's awkward with 4 teams. Sometimes you lose one game and you lose the tournament. There must be justified competition.

Sedition

Panel of Selectors
I wonder how long before Bangladesh's new found supporters abandon them. Everyone likes an underdog, but a poor series or two later and plenty will be jumping off the bandwagon. They certainly exceeded expectations in this tournament, but looking over some previous results the last 12 months, there's not much to talk about.

ODIs:

Australia in Bangladesh 3-0
West Indies in Bangladesh 2-1
Pakistan in Bangladesh 3-0 (2-0 this series)
Bangladesh in Zimbabwe 2-3

Tests:

WI in Bangladesh 1-0
Pak in Bangladesh 2-0
Bangladesh in Zimbabwe 0-1

It would be great to see them turn that around the next 12 months, but I think this tournament was another one off like beating NZ 4-0.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
I will say that I thought they'd collapse in the final, but yes, it's not like they won, and further to that, it's not like the Asia Cup follows some strong performances. I do hope they can begin to demonstrate more consistency, as well as progress from the talented U19 sides to full cricket. As it is, they were even getting beaten by a recently formed Zimbabwe side.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Asia cup is the one of the finest platform to promote cricket. The term "Asia Cup" itself sounds big but it's weird when you see just 4 teams in the tournament. In my opinion, there must be 6 teams at least. Inclusion of Afghanistan, Hong Kong, Nepal or any other associate/affiliate member would be great. Asia Cup became interesting this time just because of Bangaldesh otherwise it's awkward with 4 teams. Sometimes you lose one game and you lose the tournament. There must be justified competition.

Would have to agree with this.

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
My heart went out to Bangladesh fans and players. They tried so hard and came so close. I think they won the hearts of many people around the world. I hope they continue doing well and improve their bowling as well. A good pace bowler or two will definitely improve the balance of their team.
Pakistan should be happy they escaped. The bowling clicked once again to save our embarrassing batting. Its a pity both departments do not click at the same time more often.

Users who are viewing this thread