Australia & England opposing the doosra?

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Australia Cricket News: Integrity at stake over doosra - John Inverarity | ESPN Cricinfo

England Cricket News: Testing methods hold back England | ESPN Cricinfo

Are Australia and England inherently opposed to the doosra?

Reading these comments in the last few days and i was stunned at the explanations and reasoning stated by them. This to me opens a new can of worms, since i never thought ENG & AUS think like this.

All these years also, when bowlers get reported for suspect action, its been common knowledge that they go to that university in West Australia to get tested. Now to hear that officials in the Uni of Loughborough in England, find those test inaccurate is quite telling.

Discuss..

Sulaiman7

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
Pakistan
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Yeah they are opposed to doosra because they don't have such spinners who can bowl different deliveries except simple spin so they are jealous of doosra . :rolleyes:rolleyes

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I see this turning in to Asian cricket vs Western Cricket

War

Chairman of Selectors
Well even if the administrators have no inherent jealously, i don't think the players of both countries view doosra bowling that way.

After AUS were knocked out of the T20 world-cup, captain George Bailey spoke out that he felt oz, needed to produce a new-time of spinner - World Twenty20 2012 : George Bailey wants a new type of spinner in Australia | Cricket News | ICC World Twenty20 2012 | ESPN Cricinfo

Plus i know Jason Krezja was attempting to bowl the doosra in first-class cricket. So if those at the top think differently, this is a massive double standard and big new issue.

Anish.

Panel of Selectors
Hmm,In England it does not turn much it would be advisable to bowl PACE.Whereas the spinners that we have hardly have varitions. If you look at Swann he hardly bowls the Wrong'one/Googly. He is a world-class spinner,but in Australia near the coast their should be some turn.So we may see a spinner from the coast in the future for Australia.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
Am I the only one who doesn't care about the bowler's arm? Batsmen have more than enough advantages in the game, if the bowler wants to throw it, let them, as long as it bounces no more than once, is behind the line when it's delivered and is within the existing wide rule.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
I see this turning in to Asian cricket vs Western Cricket

Basically, yes! Australian fans have generally been pretty cynical about the doosra.

Plus i know Jason Krezja was attempting to bowl the doosra in first-class cricket. So if those at the top think differently, this is a massive double standard and big new issue.

Letting the top level guys experiment is a LOT different to actively encouraging 'unique' actions in youth cricket. At the moment that kind of bowling is beaten out of kids at the young level because it's not 'proper cricket'. That is a cultural failing among the Aussie coaches. A guy like Inverarity could have come out and said that he'd love to see kids bowl doosras, perhaps encourage a change of heart among Australian fans, and particularly coaches. But he didn't...encouraging that cynicism that I mentioned earlier.

Fenil

PC Cricket Leagues Legend
Am I the only one who doesn't care about the bowler's arm? Batsmen have more than enough advantages in the game, if the bowler wants to throw it, let them, as long as it bounces no more than once, is behind the line when it's delivered and is within the existing wide rule.

Lets not turn the bowling in cricket, same as bowling in baseball.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Conventional coaching is that young bowlers should be cautioned against bowling wrong'uns and flippers. I can't see how teaching the doosra would be any better. At the moment there's basically one guy who does it well and nobody is teaching his action, let me tell you.

S

Satan666

To this date personal opinions differ as to whether Muralitharan's bowling action was legal, even though he was cleared in AUS. I read through the links provided by the author that the testing methods seem more stringent in England, hence the young lads are reported for suspected actions. Surprisingly enough both Narine and Ajmal have been reported for suspect actions, think Narine had to change his based on the findings.

Also India have differences with Ajmal's action so its not only Eng and AUS. All I am saying is this is something that should be looked into instead of instilling in young bowlers to throw the ball as some out of sorts members have suggested.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
englands stance is perhaps more interesting, I'm not really sure I agree with invararity announcing it so publically, it's the second time they've done this in a few years and it comes across as a vaguely passive aggressive swipe at some other countries.

there are also inconsistencies with his statement. why is the doosra the battle gournd for integrity when there are countless other areas where the game is far less than "gentlemanly"? cricket has problems with fielders claiming dropped catches, batsmen refusing the walk when they know they're out, the preperation of favourable tracks to produce draws so to secure series. Australia (and other nations) are guilty of these so it seems somewhat convenient to claim it's the doosra causing the game to lose integrity when as people have already mentioned, australia don't have a bowler that can bowl it, despite even the efforts of players to develop them.

England doing it without fanfair is a little more interesting as there's genuinely no attempt to discredit anyone else. Although as angy says, it could merely be a case that it would be general good coaching practice regardless of its legality. I obviously don't have any problem with either nation choosing to neglect the doosra, but if it's a genuine question of integrity I think that would be better served by simply doing it rather than announcing it so publically.

6ry4nj

International Coach
The Inverarity claim that the doosra is delivery without 'integrity' is just (the all-too-familiar) pathetic gamesmanship from Australians.

The England case is quite different. It seems clear that the ECB have been disadvantaging themselves (not seeking to disadvantage anyone else) by their (deliberately?) incorrect testing method, and that needs to stop.

So yes they are both opposing the doosra, but in very different ways, and with very different types of culpability. :noway

PS: Given that Loughborough Uni gets to ban any opposing spinner they like, it's surprising they get thrashed so much when they play counties isn't it? :p

spooony

Club Captain

But why can't Botha chuck but Habarjan and co are allowed to chuck?

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
I think in England, there are a few problems with it really. The first is that a lot of Coaches simply don't know how to coach someone to bowl a doosra, so it's hard from that level, especially when the ECB aren't educating their coaches and encouraging it. But also, as the Cricinfo article said, as soon as a bowler comes along and looks different, an Umpire will no-ball him and get him banned straight away, which discourages people in that way.

Personally, I think we should be doing all we can to encourage this, because it's an evolution of the game and our old fashioned view is resulting in us being left behind. We need to do all we can to encourage unique bowlers, because they are what balances our game, in an increasingly batsman friendly world.

Users who are viewing this thread