Australia

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Keep piling on Pup guys - hope he goes well and shoves it in your faces :D

Oh and for discussion: when did Steve Smith suddenly become our #1 T20 spinner? I'm basing this on the fact that he played in the "XI" vs Windward Islands at #8 and usually the last warmup game for Australia is the XI they'll use for the real stuff. And preview articles are casting doubt over Hauritz because he hasn't taken a wicket in the warmups, while treating Smith as a lock for the XI. Why? Because Smith took the immortal scalps of Mervin Matthew and Donwell Hector and Dave Hussey cracked Hauritz for 3 6s?

I realise Smith played the T20s over summer when Hauritz was getting a rest. But I assumed it was just that - a rest and giving the young guy some experience. But then Smith got both T20s on the NZ tour when Hauritz was present. It's not like he's being picked on irresistible returns either. Here's the other tournament returns for Steve Smith in the last 2 years:
09/10 T20Is (vPak,WI & NZ): 5 games - 3/103 in 13 overs (7.92 RPO, 34.33 avg).
09/10 Big Bash: 5 games - 7/72 in 12 overs (6.00 RPO, 10.29 avg)
09/10 Champions League: 6 games - 4/106 in 14 overs (7.57 RPO, 26.5 avg)
08/09 Big Bash: 5 games - 0/44 in 4 overs (11 RPO, N/A avg)
To me the only noteworthy thing Smith's done was take 4/13 off 4 overs v Tassie in the last Big Bash. That's what's skewing those Big Bash figures. We surely aren't picking him because he ran through the Tassie tail in one match are we?

Here's Hauritz'z returns:
09/10 Champions League: 6 games - 7/100 in 16 overs (6.25 RPO, 14.28 avg)
3 T20Is in 2009 (vPak, Eng & SL): 3 games - 2/47 in 7.2 overs (6.40 RPO, 23.5 avg)
He hasn't played Big Bash for the last 2 summers. In fact he hasn't played much T20 at all which is a shame.

If Smith gets picked now in a head to head with Hauritz, it seems like he's just getting a spot for his ability with the bat, which I think is silly because: a) Smith's only had 2 innings in his 5 T20Is, so there's a good chance he won't bat at all, b) if we play M.Hussey at #7 then there's a VERY good chance he won't bat since that will be a longer lineup than usual and c) we have Johnson, Hauritz and Harris who can all bat pretty well in the lower order, so why we need a batting #8 is beyond me.

For the record, I'd like them BOTH to play v Pakistan with Smith at #7. The pitch at St Lucia is slow and low by all reports so it would be good to have 2 spin options I feel. Then it would be a similar attack to the one that got NSW the Champions League: 3 quicks, Smith and Hauritz for spin while Watson would reprise the Henriques role. But if they're going to stuff Smith down at #8 and play him as our only spinner, well lets just say I wish they wouldn't... Pick Hauritz!

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
It's pretty obvious the selectors are going to play Smith at 8. Hauritz hasn't played a T20 match since last year in England. Christian or Harris would be more likely to move Smith up to 8 than Hauritz.

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Slid win last night, set it up right from the opening partnership. Warner and Watson are lethal. Clarke fails again :S I have no idea why White was batting so far down the order, anyone know? Dussey batted well, and Mussey good to watch with his short cameo.

Tait and Mitch the pick of the bowlers. Spud Smith got thrashed a bit. Clarke's two catches were great!

Num

Club Cricketer
I've been quite impressed by Johnson's performance in T20Is and it was good to see Dussey show his T20 prowess at the international level. Still a bit worried about Australia's lower order batting though, we won't always be able to rely on the top four to provide great starts.

Last edited:

War

Chairman of Selectors
It's pretty obvious the selectors are going to play Smith at 8. Hauritz hasn't played a T20 match since last year in England. Christian or Harris would be more likely to move Smith up to 8 than Hauritz.

Let Johnson back @ 8 & pick Harris man. Since if you look at it we have:

- 3 main bowlers (Nannes, Tait, Johnson)

- Watson who bowling in T20 is very hot & cold

- Partimers in D Hussey, Smith & Pup

Need to pick Harris to strengthen that bowling attack.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Selectors will never go for it, for whatever reason they don't rate Smith's batting or only want him focusing on his bowling.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Selectors will never go for it, for whatever reason they don't rate Smith's batting or only want him focusing on his bowling.

Ye my friend i know. But i still got to complain ha..

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
Johnson has been slogging a lot recently, it's what we've needed.

Num

Club Cricketer
Let Johnson back @ 8 & pick Harris man. Since if you look at it we have:

- 3 main bowlers (Nannes, Tait, Johnson)

- Watson who bowling in T20 is very hot & cold

- Partimers in D Hussey, Smith & Pup

Need to pick Harris to strengthen that bowling attack.

Who would you drop to keep Smith and Harris in the same team? I'd be reluctant to drop MHussey because otherwise Australia will be more prone to a batting collapse.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Who would you drop to keep Smith and Harris in the same team? I'd be reluctant to drop MHussey because otherwise Australia will be more prone to a batting collapse.

No i was saying drop Smith for Harris. Otherwise the rest of the team would stay unchanged.

Users who are viewing this thread